A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Written Dragon Runes

1  2 > >>  

SolinVas
August 16, 2015

Drem Yol Lok!

Now within my brief time of knowing how to parlay Dovahzul, I was wondering the whole time as to how one would go about writing down Dragon runes on paper. I have tried before doing work with the runes in their standard full style, but I lack the artistic ability to truly give them... Laas, so to say. Now I have seen from the Pel Pal banner that it IS possible to write the language within its runic form, but in a less extravagant manner. So to conclude this all, I was wondering if there is any sort of diagram or... Particular way to write the runes in a less ostentatious manner?

TL;DR - Any diagrams on writing Dragon runes in a less fancy manner?

by SolinVas
August 16, 2015

Drem Yol Lok!

Now within my brief time of knowing how to parlay Dovahzul, I was wondering the whole time as to how one would go about writing down Dragon runes on paper. I have tried before doing work with the runes in their standard full style, but I lack the artistic ability to truly give them... Laas, so to say. Now I have seen from the Pel Pal banner that it IS possible to write the language within its runic form, but in a less extravagant manner. So to conclude this all, I was wondering if there is any sort of diagram or... Particular way to write the runes in a less ostentatious manner?

TL;DR - Any diagrams on writing Dragon runes in a less fancy manner?

Sharsosah
August 18, 2015

I write my dragon runes with a ballpoint pen, I just write capital L's with different lengths, I guess I have my own style. http://callumbarclay.scot/i/7bsk.JPG

by Sharsosah
August 18, 2015

I write my dragon runes with a ballpoint pen, I just write capital L's with different lengths, I guess I have my own style. http://callumbarclay.scot/i/7bsk.JPG

SolinVas
August 19, 2015
Sharsosah

For me I've always been a fountain pen guy, which has always offered more fluid writing and has a wide array of use for almost every script, even fictional ones. But what I'm sort of drawing from the other part is that written runes is of personal style? Krosis, if my prediction is off.  

by SolinVas
August 19, 2015
Sharsosah

For me I've always been a fountain pen guy, which has always offered more fluid writing and has a wide array of use for almost every script, even fictional ones. But what I'm sort of drawing from the other part is that written runes is of personal style? Krosis, if my prediction is off.  

Ahkrinfeynvokun
August 19, 2015

I've always wanted to try a fountain pen... I don't really have a very fancy style of writing out the runes. I've basically went for as simplistic as possible so I can quickly and easily write out notes. I'll link some pictures as soon as I get them on my computer. My pen's a Pilot Precise V5 if anyone wants to know. Flow's great when writing.

by Ahkrinfeynvokun
August 19, 2015

I've always wanted to try a fountain pen... I don't really have a very fancy style of writing out the runes. I've basically went for as simplistic as possible so I can quickly and easily write out notes. I'll link some pictures as soon as I get them on my computer. My pen's a Pilot Precise V5 if anyone wants to know. Flow's great when writing.

SolinVas
August 20, 2015
Ahkrinfeynvokun

If you're looking for a great fountain pen that has good quality and great build, get a Lamy. And it's absolutely worth every penny put into owning the pen. Plus I believe you can buy different nibs as well for it. 

Aside from fountain pen talk, I believe ink composition and the type of nib may also have an affect on the outcome of the runes when written. For example, a pen with a finer nib/rollerball will produce thinner runes which would be good for note taking. Whereas a thicker nib/rollerball will be better for more ornate things, like poetry in Dovahzul and whatnot

by SolinVas
August 20, 2015
Ahkrinfeynvokun

If you're looking for a great fountain pen that has good quality and great build, get a Lamy. And it's absolutely worth every penny put into owning the pen. Plus I believe you can buy different nibs as well for it. 

Aside from fountain pen talk, I believe ink composition and the type of nib may also have an affect on the outcome of the runes when written. For example, a pen with a finer nib/rollerball will produce thinner runes which would be good for note taking. Whereas a thicker nib/rollerball will be better for more ornate things, like poetry in Dovahzul and whatnot

Ahkrinfeynvokun
August 20, 2015

Right, the V5 I've been using has a very fine line to it. Which is great for just casual writing.

Now a fountain pen with a thicker nib could be perfect for more closely imitating the look of in game runes.

by Ahkrinfeynvokun
August 20, 2015

Right, the V5 I've been using has a very fine line to it. Which is great for just casual writing.

Now a fountain pen with a thicker nib could be perfect for more closely imitating the look of in game runes.

SolinVas
August 20, 2015

Ah, pruzah. But I can imagine that a calligraphy pen would work just as well or perhaps better for runes. And it shouldn't be too hard to work with a calligraphy pen when it comes to writing runes. Perhaps I shall give it a try. 

by SolinVas
August 20, 2015

Ah, pruzah. But I can imagine that a calligraphy pen would work just as well or perhaps better for runes. And it shouldn't be too hard to work with a calligraphy pen when it comes to writing runes. Perhaps I shall give it a try. 

Ahkrinfeynvokun
August 20, 2015

A calligraphy pen should work rather well. All of mine have long since dried out so I can't test it on paper.

by Ahkrinfeynvokun
August 20, 2015

A calligraphy pen should work rather well. All of mine have long since dried out so I can't test it on paper.

SolinVas
August 20, 2015

Well as a fountain pen enthusiast, I have oodles of full inkwells kicking about my house. Time to go and give this a try. 

But also along the lines of written runes, I kind of conceived the notion of a script designated for solely writing Dovahzul on paper. 

by SolinVas
August 20, 2015

Well as a fountain pen enthusiast, I have oodles of full inkwells kicking about my house. Time to go and give this a try. 

But also along the lines of written runes, I kind of conceived the notion of a script designated for solely writing Dovahzul on paper. 

Ahkrinfeynvokun
August 20, 2015

Ah, mine were the cheap ones that were more of a marker than anything. They were fun though.

And a special script huh? Could be interesting

by Ahkrinfeynvokun
August 20, 2015

Ah, mine were the cheap ones that were more of a marker than anything. They were fun though.

And a special script huh? Could be interesting

FaasFinSahvoz
August 23, 2015

I had the idea as well of a special script because though I've learned numerous writing systems, I just can't seem to get a hang of the runes.  And I noticed as well going through the pel pal page that most people prefer  romanized Dovahzul.  I sat down and developed something that would be more practical and easy to learn, yet still unique to keep the spirit of the language.  I based it around the Roman, Greek, and Cyrillic alphabets.  The runes are wonderful, great for any sort of artistry, but if I want to just sit down and write something, I think this script is much more handy.

by FaasFinSahvoz
August 23, 2015

I had the idea as well of a special script because though I've learned numerous writing systems, I just can't seem to get a hang of the runes.  And I noticed as well going through the pel pal page that most people prefer  romanized Dovahzul.  I sat down and developed something that would be more practical and easy to learn, yet still unique to keep the spirit of the language.  I based it around the Roman, Greek, and Cyrillic alphabets.  The runes are wonderful, great for any sort of artistry, but if I want to just sit down and write something, I think this script is much more handy.

Ahkrinfeynvokun
August 23, 2015

Interesting. Going to post it to the library or something?

by Ahkrinfeynvokun
August 23, 2015

Interesting. Going to post it to the library or something?

FaasFinSahvoz
August 24, 2015

I may, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about it.

by FaasFinSahvoz
August 24, 2015

I may, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about it.

Ahkrinfeynvokun
August 24, 2015

Ah, I see.

by Ahkrinfeynvokun
August 24, 2015

Ah, I see.

yolviingdinok
January 22, 2016

just write it same way you would write in english, just in dovah letters

by yolviingdinok
January 22, 2016

just write it same way you would write in english, just in dovah letters

1  2 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.