Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Dragon Names

Krahzii
August 18, 2015

I've always enjoyed making characters, and I love giving characters unique names.  Due to this, Skyrim dragons appeal to me in a few ways.  For one thing, I absolutely love dragons and Skyrim’s glorious wyverns are no exception.  And then, Skyrim gave us not only an amazing dragon language to name stuff with – they gave us a specific structure of a traditional dragon name; each dragon’s name (with a few in-game exceptions) is constructed from three Dovahzul words. 

It didn’t take long to discover that creating dragon names is addictive…and challenging.  Finding three words that fit the character, make sense together, and sound good together can be pretty difficult.  It takes a lot of dictionary browsing, eliminating words and finding new ones, etc.  But once you construct a really nice name, it’s very satisfying.

Here are some of my dragon names:

Vokunziiven (Shadow – Spirit – Wind)

Aakzintor (Guide – Honor – Dusk)

Krahnelviing (Cold – Fast – Wing)

Kunnelbod (Light – Fast – Flight)

So, have any of you community members made dragon names?  If not, you should try to make one!  I know that a lot of people have Dovahzul usernames; is you username a traditional dragon name, or just some cool words?  What does it mean?

My username is just cool words.  “Cold spirit.” 

Also, what is your favorite in-game dragon name?  Mine is Sahloknir.  It sounds great, the translation is really cool…and departing from the name-related, he looks super badass.

by Krahzii
August 18, 2015

I've always enjoyed making characters, and I love giving characters unique names.  Due to this, Skyrim dragons appeal to me in a few ways.  For one thing, I absolutely love dragons and Skyrim’s glorious wyverns are no exception.  And then, Skyrim gave us not only an amazing dragon language to name stuff with – they gave us a specific structure of a traditional dragon name; each dragon’s name (with a few in-game exceptions) is constructed from three Dovahzul words. 

It didn’t take long to discover that creating dragon names is addictive…and challenging.  Finding three words that fit the character, make sense together, and sound good together can be pretty difficult.  It takes a lot of dictionary browsing, eliminating words and finding new ones, etc.  But once you construct a really nice name, it’s very satisfying.

So, have any of you community members made dragon names?  If not, you should try to make one!  I know that a lot of people have Dovahzul usernames; is you username a traditional dragon name, or just some cool words?  What does it mean?

Also, what is your favorite in-game dragon name?  Mine is Sahloknir.  It sounds great, the translation is really cool…and departing from the name-related, he looks super badass.

Orkar Isber
August 18, 2015

Favorite? AlDuIn - short, terryfing translation, quite hit the nail on the spot.

Actually i think if a name fits a charater needs some background knowledge in symbolism - you could use a word but dont mean the word but the many many meanings attached to it. like light may actually just mean some rays brightening up their surroundings but it could also be the good, the lifeforce, the sun, fire, divinity, eternity, heaven, rebirth, death, that which is benevolent, a superior being and so on and so forth but the exact meant meaning may vary completly from person to person.

Kunnelbod sounds actually quite sweet - like cuddelbuddy ^^

by Orkar Isber
August 18, 2015

Favorite? AlDuIn - short, terryfing translation, quite hit the nail on the spot.

Actually i think if a name fits a charater needs some background knowledge in symbolism - you could use a word but dont mean the word but the many many meanings attached to it. like light may actually just mean some rays brightening up their surroundings but it could also be the good, the lifeforce, the sun, fire, divinity, eternity, heaven, rebirth, death, that which is benevolent, a superior being and so on and so forth but the exact meant meaning may vary completly from person to person.

Kunnelbod sounds actually quite sweet - like cuddelbuddy ^^

Krahzii
August 18, 2015

Yeah, very true.

That's really interesting, I will keep that in mind in the future.  Thank you!

It does.  He's a more...not "friendly" because I don't think any dragon is "friendly," but he's a less bloodthirsty, destructive dragon at least.  I made the name for a younger dragon...but then I learned about how TES dragons don't actually breed.  So I may change that, but since my dragons are in a private RP of sorts, not EVERYTHING necessarily needs to be lore-friendly anyways.  So yeah, his name is meant to be for a bit of a smaller, nicer dragon.  I'm glad it gives of some positive vibes.

by Krahzii
August 18, 2015

Yeah, very true.

It does.  He's a more...not "friendly" because I don't think any dragon is "friendly," but he's a less bloodthirsty, destructive dragon at least.  I made the name for a younger dragon...but then I learned about how TES dragons don't actually breed.  So I may change that, but since my dragons are in a private RP of sorts, not EVERYTHING necessarily needs to be lore-friendly anyways.  So yeah, his name is meant to be for a bit of a smaller, nicer dragon.  I'm glad it gives of some positive vibes.

Ralam Indoril
August 31, 2015

Well, personally, my username is the name I used for my Dunmer back in Oblivion, but that's not relevant right now.

I've never been good at naming dragons, so I just stick with the set ones. My favorite dragon, in general, is Durnehviir, because not only does his name translate to Curse Never-Dying, which sounds awesome, he is the only dragon in the game capable of using Soul Tear. Paarthunax is a close second, though, because he's the only dragon that I know of that was strong enough to rebel against Alduin and live.

by Ralam Indoril
August 31, 2015

Well, personally, my username is the name I used for my Dunmer back in Oblivion, but that's not relevant right now.

I've never been good at naming dragons, so I just stick with the set ones. My favorite dragon, in general, is Durnehviir, because not only does his name translate to Curse Never-Dying, which sounds awesome, he is the only dragon in the game capable of using Soul Tear. Paarthunax is a close second, though, because he's the only dragon that I know of that was strong enough to rebel against Alduin and live.

Ralam Indoril
August 31, 2015
Krahzii

Yeah, very true.

This is just random, it's not really related to your previous comments, but if I didn't already know how to pronounce Dovazhul names, I'd have said your name as "Crazy", not what it actually is.

by Ralam Indoril
August 31, 2015
Krahzii

Yeah, very true.

This is just random, it's not really related to your previous comments, but if I didn't already know how to pronounce Dovazhul names, I'd have said your name as "Crazy", not what it actually is.

Krahzii
September 5, 2015

Haha, I get that sometimes!  The shoe kind of fits, too.  XD

by Krahzii
September 5, 2015

Haha, I get that sometimes!  The shoe kind of fits, too.  XD

Grolahmul
September 5, 2015

I don't have one in-game, but my username works.

GRO L4 MUL

meaning "bound magicka strong."

I find it fits most of my RP characters on this site. It's basically something like a spell-sword, which half my RP characters are.

Of course, it could also mean "Endure Strength," which describes my characters in-game perfectly.

They both use heavy armor, which means he would "Endure" most hits, and he uses greatswords most of the time, which requires "Strength."

And the best part is, Grolahmul is Dovah for my real name's meaning. Endure, strength. If I were born a Dragon IRL, my name would be Grolahmul.

by Grolahmul
September 5, 2015

I don't have one in-game, but my username works.

GRO L4 MUL

meaning "bound magicka strong."

I find it fits most of my RP characters on this site. It's basically something like a spell-sword, which half my RP characters are.

Of course, it could also mean "Endure Strength," which describes my characters in-game perfectly.

They both use heavy armor, which means he would "Endure" most hits, and he uses greatswords most of the time, which requires "Strength."

And the best part is, Grolahmul is Dovah for my real name's meaning. Endure, strength. If I were born a Dragon IRL, my name would be Grolahmul.

Sahkrahfaas
September 12, 2015

I've become addicted to those mobile dragon park games, and I name all of my dragons in Dovahzul xD Most of it is done from memory, but I don't remember many words to do with nature or water so I need to look up things like that q:

I have about 60 or so dragons in Dragon City, with at the very least 50 of them named in Dovahzul... I also have sort of naming conventions for certain element combos, with all the pure/x element dragons whose names are pure x dragon having to have "Dinok-" at the start of their names and all the double element dragons having "-viing" at the end of their names. Some of my favourites so far are Golmahtoor (earth fall inferno; a meteor dragon), Iizlokstrun (ice sky storm; a blizzard dragon) and Kaaskyolkaag (cage fire burst; an ifrit dragon) c:

by Sahkrahfaas
September 12, 2015

I've become addicted to those mobile dragon park games, and I name all of my dragons in Dovahzul xD Most of it is done from memory, but I don't remember many words to do with nature or water so I need to look up things like that q:

I have about 60 or so dragons in Dragon City, with at the very least 50 of them named in Dovahzul... I also have sort of naming conventions for certain element combos, with all the pure/x element dragons whose names are pure x dragon having to have "Dinok-" at the start of their names and all the double element dragons having "-viing" at the end of their names. Some of my favourites so far are Golmahtoor (earth fall inferno; a meteor dragon), Iizlokstrun (ice sky storm; a blizzard dragon) and Kaaskyolkaag (cage fire burst; an ifrit dragon) c:

SAA2000
September 14, 2015

So in my dovahzul class (i have a thread for it) my students will be making their own names reflective on a defining moment of their live like all of the dragons in skyrim. I will post the names they create on this thread once class starts. But i like this thread keep it up. 

by SAA2000
September 14, 2015

So in my dovahzul class (i have a thread for it) my students will be making their own names reflective on a defining moment of their live like all of the dragons in skyrim. I will post the names they create on this thread once class starts. But i like this thread keep it up. 

Krahzii
September 15, 2015

Loving all these replies, you have some great names going!  I love how much meaning your name has for you, Grolahmul.  Iizlokstrun is one of the coolest dragon names I've heard.  

Oh awesome, I can't wait to see what your students come up with!

by Krahzii
September 15, 2015

Loving all these replies, you have some great names going!  I love how much meaning your name has for you, Grolahmul.  Iizlokstrun is one of the coolest dragon names I've heard.  

Oh awesome, I can't wait to see what your students come up with!

Frinmulaar
September 18, 2015

Oh hey, nice thread!

I think the three-syllable format can be explored much further than the game itself has. Here I've tried to focus on the effect of sound - "phonetic stereotypes", if you will.

Want a dragon from Mordor, with meaning to boot? Kronaguth.
Or some gracious consonance in a near-elvish manner? Weridul.
How about a name of simple C+V, like an honorable eastern warrior? Fosoru.
Or someone who might meditate at a mountaintop shrine? Yunnilin.

These are made of canon words. It's interesting what else might be mimicked using the full dictionary.

by Frinmulaar
September 18, 2015

Oh hey, nice thread!

I think the three-syllable format can be explored much further than the game itself has. Here I've tried to focus on the effect of sound - "phonetic stereotypes", if you will.

Want a dragon from Mordor, with meaning to boot? Kronaguth.
Or some gracious consonance in a near-elvish manner? Weridul.
How about a name of simple C+V, like an honorable eastern warrior? Fosoru.
Or someone who might meditate at a mountaintop shrine? Yunnilin.

These are made of canon words. It's interesting what else might be mimicked using the full dictionary.

Krahzii
September 18, 2015

Thank you!

Those are really interesting names.  I love how they sound, they really fit the meanings you gave them.  Great work.  Don't be surprised if I ask you for naming help in the future!  Definitely a great way to explore naming.

by Krahzii
September 18, 2015

Thank you!

Those are really interesting names.  I love how they sound, they really fit the meanings you gave them.  Great work.  Don't be surprised if I ask you for naming help in the future!  Definitely a great way to explore naming.

YolAgDaan
September 19, 2015
Krahzii

It took me 10 minutes, but i really liked my name in the end. I think that "fire,burn,doom" fits great together

by YolAgDaan
September 19, 2015
Krahzii

It took me 10 minutes, but i really liked my name in the end. I think that "fire,burn,doom" fits great together

Krahzii
September 19, 2015

I like your name, too!  Haha Dovah names have a tendency to take a while to formulate at times. But yours makes sense and sounds good! Nice work.

by Krahzii
September 19, 2015

I like your name, too!  Haha Dovah names have a tendency to take a while to formulate at times. But yours makes sense and sounds good! Nice work.

yolviingdinok
January 22, 2016

my username is yolvingdinok meaning fire wing death

by yolviingdinok
January 22, 2016

my username is yolvingdinok meaning fire wing death

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.