A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Dovahzul Lesson Book

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 24, 2013

Check it out!

Most of the content is taken from the lessons, but with a lot of updates, additions, and some changes.  I made a big effort to distinguish canon information from non-canon information, and I hope that proves useful for those who are interested in that distinction.

Let me know any thoughts, feedback, or ideas you have!

by paarthurnax
July 24, 2013

Check it out!

Most of the content is taken from the lessons, but with a lot of updates, additions, and some changes.  I made a big effort to distinguish canon information from non-canon information, and I hope that proves useful for those who are interested in that distinction.

Let me know any thoughts, feedback, or ideas you have!

ASTORKiT
July 25, 2013

I found:

Page 46 - text box at the bottom is slightly cut off.

That's the only real error I saw, but there may be more as I'm a little tired.

Otherwise, great job!

by ASTORKiT
July 25, 2013

I found:

Page 46 - text box at the bottom is slightly cut off.

That's the only real error I saw, but there may be more as I'm a little tired.

Otherwise, great job!

Chevvy
July 27, 2013

aaaaah I'll have a closer look at it later but this looks nice so far! Well sad we didn't have that before I made the book D: (now I need to overwork everything again for 2. edition in future xD)

Besides that: I really should send you the pdf of my work so you can have a look at it what I did. I changed the order of larning the grammar a bit, too for better understanding and there's still the pronounciation my friend did for me. We should compare these two. I have 3 different tables (Vowels, Diphtongs and Consonants) and he wrote me something about 'word stress' and 'terminal devoicing'.

If you're interested I can do a layout for the pdf (or using mine?) since it's quite a lot of text on every page. a more simple layout would it make easier to read and learn it. Just a proposal :3

by Chevvy
July 27, 2013

aaaaah I'll have a closer look at it later but this looks nice so far! Well sad we didn't have that before I made the book D: (now I need to overwork everything again for 2. edition in future xD)

Besides that: I really should send you the pdf of my work so you can have a look at it what I did. I changed the order of larning the grammar a bit, too for better understanding and there's still the pronounciation my friend did for me. We should compare these two. I have 3 different tables (Vowels, Diphtongs and Consonants) and he wrote me something about 'word stress' and 'terminal devoicing'.

If you're interested I can do a layout for the pdf (or using mine?) since it's quite a lot of text on every page. a more simple layout would it make easier to read and learn it. Just a proposal :3

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 27, 2013

Sure!  I can send you the Word document or however you'd like the file.  I'm no graphic designer, so go ahead and mess around with the layout as much as you'd like!

by paarthurnax
July 27, 2013

Sure!  I can send you the Word document or however you'd like the file.  I'm no graphic designer, so go ahead and mess around with the layout as much as you'd like!

Annwvyn
July 27, 2013

Wow!  I just took a quick skim of it, and it looks awesome!  Also looks like it might answer quite a few questions that I have.  This is great work, paarthurnax, and I just wanted to thank you on the behalf of the community for putting so much time into this.  Zu'u lost pogaan kogaani!

I plan on reading through it more thoroughly later today and I will let you know if I have any questions or find any issues.  ^_^

by Annwvyn
July 27, 2013

Wow!  I just took a quick skim of it, and it looks awesome!  Also looks like it might answer quite a few questions that I have.  This is great work, paarthurnax, and I just wanted to thank you on the behalf of the community for putting so much time into this.  Zu'u lost pogaan kogaani!

I plan on reading through it more thoroughly later today and I will let you know if I have any questions or find any issues.  ^_^

Kenaar
July 27, 2013

It's wonderful ! *immediately uploaded this file to my smartphone to make it portable and to read it wherever I go* Thanks for your work ! If you will plan to make this in other languages, you can count on my help with Russian.

by Kenaar
July 27, 2013

It's wonderful ! *immediately uploaded this file to my smartphone to make it portable and to read it wherever I go* Thanks for your work ! If you will plan to make this in other languages, you can count on my help with Russian.

vaaztiidjun
August 12, 2013

Woah, that's actually really awesome. I remember trying to make my own offline lessons page, which failed miserably. The only issue I have found (however minor) is that quite a few of the paragraphs overlap into new pages. It would probably be a bit nicer to read and look at if this was avoided. A method for this would simply be through changing the start position of the paragraph to the top of the next page. 

by vaaztiidjun
August 12, 2013

Woah, that's actually really awesome. I remember trying to make my own offline lessons page, which failed miserably. The only issue I have found (however minor) is that quite a few of the paragraphs overlap into new pages. It would probably be a bit nicer to read and look at if this was avoided. A method for this would simply be through changing the start position of the paragraph to the top of the next page. 

Annwvyn
August 12, 2013

Though it may sound logical VaraX, repositioning paragraphs simply with carriage returns to make it so that all paragraphs did not cross over to other pages would create a lot of white space and make the pdf unnecessarily lengthy.

I actually prefer it the way it is, looks clean.  ;p  But that's just a personal preference thing.

by Annwvyn
August 12, 2013

Though it may sound logical VaraX, repositioning paragraphs simply with carriage returns to make it so that all paragraphs did not cross over to other pages would create a lot of white space and make the pdf unnecessarily lengthy.

I actually prefer it the way it is, looks clean.  ;p  But that's just a personal preference thing.

paarthurnax
Administrator
August 12, 2013

I've gone through and edited it, and it's ready to go!  I need a rinik lot favor, though - would anyone be able to print it out, bind it (binder, however you want to do it), and take some quality pictures of some of the pages?  Something similar to what was done here.  I'd mainly be looking for a picture of the cover, and then some of the pages - maybe the alphabet page, and other pages with Dovahzul text.

Lot kogaanne!

by paarthurnax
August 12, 2013

I've gone through and edited it, and it's ready to go!  I need a rinik lot favor, though - would anyone be able to print it out, bind it (binder, however you want to do it), and take some quality pictures of some of the pages?  Something similar to what was done here.  I'd mainly be looking for a picture of the cover, and then some of the pages - maybe the alphabet page, and other pages with Dovahzul text.

Lot kogaanne!

otakufreak40
August 15, 2013

How come you don't list yourself as a contributer, paarthurnax? Are you being modest and not trying to take credit or something?

by otakufreak40
August 15, 2013

How come you don't list yourself as a contributer, paarthurnax? Are you being modest and not trying to take credit or something?

paarthurnax
Administrator
August 15, 2013

Whoops, I may have just forgotten.  The members list separates users, moderators, and admins, and I remembered to add both ASTORKiT and RegalDragon, but forgot to add myself!

by paarthurnax
August 15, 2013

Whoops, I may have just forgotten.  The members list separates users, moderators, and admins, and I remembered to add both ASTORKiT and RegalDragon, but forgot to add myself!

Beastly Iguana
August 22, 2013

Wow! I'm honored you put my name in. Absolutely astounding work. It's amazing how much time you've put into this language and the community in general. Truly, thank you. 

by Beastly Iguana
August 22, 2013

Wow! I'm honored you put my name in. Absolutely astounding work. It's amazing how much time you've put into this language and the community in general. Truly, thank you. 

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.