A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Translation Suggestion Thread

1  2  3  17  18  19  20 > >>  

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 6, 2016

If you have a translation to add to the English-Dragon dictionary, share below and we'll add it or discuss other alternatives. Suggestions can include:

• Irregular verbs that don't show up in the Translator (e.g. "gone" or "went")
  • Close synonyms with existing vocabulary (e.g. "soldier" for kendov "warrior")
  • Phrasal verbs (e.g. "give up" for gahvon)
  • English idioms that don't have dragon equivalents (e.g. "I'm going to ...", "What's up?" etc.)
  • Other phrases or words that would be best translated as something other than the word-by-word translation.

We may move to a translation submission system at some point, but we'll be managing this through this thread for now. Share your ideas below!

by paarthurnax
February 6, 2016

If you have a translation to add to the English-Dragon dictionary, share below and we'll add it or discuss other alternatives. Suggestions can include:

• Irregular verbs that don't show up in the Translator (e.g. "gone" or "went")
  • Close synonyms with existing vocabulary (e.g. "soldier" for kendov "warrior")
  • Phrasal verbs (e.g. "give up" for gahvon)
  • English idioms that don't have dragon equivalents (e.g. "I'm going to ...", "What's up?" etc.)
  • Other phrases or words that would be best translated as something other than the word-by-word translation.

We may move to a translation submission system at some point, but we'll be managing this through this thread for now. Share your ideas below!

Frinmulaar
February 6, 2016

It would help in some contexts if "make" suggested meyz. The sentence from one of the preview images, "you will make a fine slave", in particular. So far all usages of "make" draw a blank.

by Frinmulaar
February 6, 2016

It would help in some contexts if "make" suggested meyz. The sentence from one of the preview images, "you will make a fine slave", in particular. So far all usages of "make" draw a blank.

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 6, 2016

@Freymulaar, Agreed, I've added "make" as a translation for "Meyz". I think both "Wahl" and "Zorox" apply for the other sense.

by paarthurnax
February 6, 2016

@Freymulaar, Agreed, I've added "make" as a translation for "Meyz". I think both "Wahl" and "Zorox" apply for the other sense.

Mahfaeraak
February 6, 2016
Thuri, I am here
by Mahfaeraak
February 6, 2016
Thuri, I am here

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 6, 2016
@Vada This thread is for translation suggestions. If you have ideas for possible translations, post them here.
by paarthurnax
February 6, 2016
@Vada This thread is for translation suggestions. If you have ideas for possible translations, post them here.

Mahfaeraak
February 6, 2016
Mun for moon, considering the fact that mungrohiik means werewolf. Werewolf is slightly related to "moon". Yes? No?
by Mahfaeraak
February 6, 2016
Mun for moon, considering the fact that mungrohiik means werewolf. Werewolf is slightly related to "moon". Yes? No?

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 6, 2016
Vada

Mun is the word for "man". Mongrohiik is "man-wolf".  I can add mun-grohiik as a phrase that translates to "werewolf" if that is what you're suggesting.

by paarthurnax
February 6, 2016
Vada

Mun is the word for "man". Mongrohiik is "man-wolf".  I can add mun-grohiik as a phrase that translates to "werewolf" if that is what you're suggesting.

Mahfaeraak
February 6, 2016
Oh. I'm sorry, Thuri. I didn't know.
by Mahfaeraak
February 6, 2016
Oh. I'm sorry, Thuri. I didn't know.

Mahfaeraak
February 6, 2016
Well, what about Iilah?
by Mahfaeraak
February 6, 2016
Well, what about Iilah?

Mahfaeraak
February 6, 2016
kinda made it myself...
by Mahfaeraak
February 6, 2016
kinda made it myself...

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 6, 2016
Vada
Well, what about Iilah?

Please read the Site Update on the homepage and the "Starting Anew" thread. Community-invented words such as iilah are no longer part of the main dictionary. This thread is for discussing translations that use only the canon vocubulary listed in the main dictionary.

by paarthurnax
February 6, 2016
Vada
Well, what about Iilah?

Please read the Site Update on the homepage and the "Starting Anew" thread. Community-invented words such as iilah are no longer part of the main dictionary. This thread is for discussing translations that use only the canon vocubulary listed in the main dictionary.

Mahfaeraak
February 6, 2016
So... we are making new words?
by Mahfaeraak
February 6, 2016
So... we are making new words?

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 6, 2016
Vada
kinda made it myself...

I authored the word iilah three years before you joined, unless there is something else you mean by that.

No, we are not making new words at this time. We are noting as many English translations as possible with the canon vocabulary, which is what this thread is for.

by paarthurnax
February 6, 2016
Vada
kinda made it myself...

I authored the word iilah three years before you joined, unless there is something else you mean by that.

No, we are not making new words at this time. We are noting as many English translations as possible with the canon vocabulary, which is what this thread is for.

Mahfaeraak
February 6, 2016
@paarthurnax may you explain it differently? I don't understand, and like to fully grasp subjects before I advance. I'm sorry I was so eager. It clouded my judgement.
by Mahfaeraak
February 6, 2016
@paarthurnax may you explain it differently? I don't understand, and like to fully grasp subjects before I advance. I'm sorry I was so eager. It clouded my judgement.

Mahfaeraak
February 6, 2016
Wait. I read it over a few times. I think I get it.
Are we taking words like "Los", which have multiple meanings (or translations), and adding other English words (that are related, or mean the same) to them?
by Mahfaeraak
February 6, 2016
Wait. I read it over a few times. I think I get it.

Are we taking words like "Los", which have multiple meanings (or translations), and adding other English words (that are related, or mean the same) to them?
 1  2  3  17  18  19  20 > >>