Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Poems by Lovaasaar

1  2 > >>  

Lovaasaar
February 16, 2016

As an introduction for those who might go through what I've written, I'd like to say that writing poetry in such an expressive language is not as easy as it seems as there are no words for poem or poetry in Dovahzul. As a matter of fact, in dovahzul, you don't write poetry, you sing it, "Lovaas". As my pseudo tries to depict it, I act as aan lovaasaar, i.e : A servant of the songs.

Fin ven bo
Ful drey dii mindol
Nau lot wundun
Wah Sovngarde.
Drey zu'u faas? Nid.
Drey zu'u zind? Nid.
Het bo kun
zu'u ont ru.
Nu nii mul zu'u
Med aan rath.

Corrected version by Frinmulaar.

by Lovaasaar
February 16, 2016

As an introduction for those who might go through what I've written, I'd like to say that writing poetry in such an expressive language is not as easy as it seems as there are no words for poem or poetry in Dovahzul. As a matter of fact, in dovahzul, you don't write poetry, you sing it, "Lovaas". As my pseudo tries to depict it, I act as aan lovaasaar, i.e : A servant of the songs.

Fin ven bo
Ful drey dii mindol
Nau lot wundun
Wah Sovngarde.
Drey zu'u faas? Nid.
Drey zu'u zind? Nid.
Het bo kun
zu'u ont ru.
Nu nii mul zu'u
Med aan rath.

Corrected version by Frinmulaar.

Frinmulaar
February 16, 2016

So I translated this using the last legacy dictionary:

The Water runs
So did my thoughts
On The Long Road
To Sovngarde.
Did I feel fear? No.
Did I feel joy? No.
Here goes The Paw
I once left.
Now it ?gejahr me
Like a river.

How much of this is correct, and what does "gejahr" mean?

by Frinmulaar
February 16, 2016

So I translated this using the last legacy dictionary:

The Water runs
So did my thoughts
On The Long Road
To Sovngarde.
Did I feel fear? No.
Did I feel joy? No.
Here goes The Paw
I once left.
Now it ?gejahr me
Like a river.

How much of this is correct, and what does "gejahr" mean?

Lovaasaar
February 16, 2016

It's all good except for "haan" which I found meant "light", like "kreinhaan" sun-light / sun-beam.
And for "gejahr", I found it as "to fill something with".

Did you like it ? Or should I stop my career into poetry ?

I have another if you wish to be challenged again:

Ko faal strunmah
Ful lingrah zu'u fey.
Zu'u los laagusaal
Svaanveyn uben dii kopraan.
Ko lingrah zu'u bahlok
Fah faal lok wah mah.
Aht laat
Dii vum bo ko faal gram.

by Lovaasaar
February 16, 2016

It's all good except for "haan" which I found meant "light", like "kreinhaan" sun-light / sun-beam.
And for "gejahr", I found it as "to fill something with".

Did you like it ? Or should I stop my career into poetry ?

I have another if you wish to be challenged again:

Ko faal strunmah
Ful lingrah zu'u fey.
Zu'u los laagusaal
Svaanveyn uben dii kopraan.
Ko lingrah zu'u bahlok
Fah faal lok wah mah.
Aht laat
Dii vum bo ko faal gram.

Frinmulaar
February 16, 2016

In The Mountains
So long I stay.
I am ?laagusaal
?Svaanveyn ?uben my corpse.
In the length I crave
For The Sky to fall.
?Aht the last
My beard flies in The Clouds.

Oh! Are you using a PDF dictionary? The legacy one doesn't recognize some of these words, so they have likely been revised earlier. No problem in the long run.

You see, Thuum.org experienced a great overhaul this month. Long story short, an invented vocabulary was deemed more trouble than it's worth for now. Instead we're focusing on Skyrim's language and its use.

You should definitely keep writing. If you'd like me to, I could help you translate these two poems to current draconic.

by Frinmulaar
February 16, 2016

In The Mountains
So long I stay.
I am ?laagusaal
In the length I crave
For The Sky to fall.
?Aht the last

Oh! Are you using a PDF dictionary? The legacy one doesn't recognize some of these words, so they have likely been revised earlier. No problem in the long run.

You see, Thuum.org experienced a great overhaul this month. Long story short, an invented vocabulary was deemed more trouble than it's worth for now. Instead we're focusing on Skyrim's language and its use.

You should definitely keep writing. If you'd like me to, I could help you translate these two poems to current draconic.

Lovaasaar
February 16, 2016
Freymulaar

In the mountains
So long I stay.
I am ?laagusaal
In the length I crave
For The Sky to fall.
?Aht the last

O.K thanks for the info. So, the PDF one isn't the good one :p...  Yes, that would be awesome. :)

by Lovaasaar
February 16, 2016
Freymulaar

In the mountains
So long I stay.
I am ?laagusaal
In the length I crave
For The Sky to fall.
?Aht the last

O.K thanks for the info. So, the PDF one isn't the good one :p...  Yes, that would be awesome. :)

Lovaasaar
February 16, 2016

By the way, to give you at least the signification of what I wrote:
laagus-aal = tired-with -> tired
Svaanveyn = everywhere
Uben = over

Ahst laat = at last ! :p

by Lovaasaar
February 16, 2016

By the way, to give you at least the signification of what I wrote:
laagus-aal = tired-with -> tired
Svaanveyn = everywhere
Uben = over

Ahst laat = at last ! :p

Lovaasaar
February 17, 2016

Hey. I made another one in which I tried to restrain myself to the canon. The words I used may have a much wider meaning, which is what poetry is all about by the way. Here it comes:

Koraava ahrk haalvuta

Ko sleni, faal kunsekun.

Lovaasi bo voth ven :

Zu'u los drem nu.

O ! Vith nol lok !

Ful lingrah saraan !

Ful mal silu, hevno dinoku !

Mu saraan fah nii

Ahrk fah nii paaru

Kriist pah sul erei vulon,

Ahst laat, ko nii mu mah.

by Lovaasaar
February 17, 2016

Hey. I made another one in which I tried to restrain myself to the canon. The words I used may have a much wider meaning, which is what poetry is all about by the way. Here it comes:

Koraava ahrk haalvuta

Ko sleni, faal kunsekun.

Lovaasi bo voth ven :

Zu'u los drem nu.

O ! Vith nol lok !

Ful lingrah saraan !

Ful mal silu, hevno dinoku !

Mu saraan fah nii

Ahrk fah nii paaru

Kriist pah sul erei vulon,

Ahst laat, ko nii mu mah.

Frinmulaar
February 17, 2016
Balaan pel. Well done! Stay on this path and you will prosper.

Here are my suggestions for revising the first poem:

Fin ven bo
Ful drey dii mindol
Nau lot wundun
Wah Sovngarde.
Drey zu'u faas? Nid.
Drey zu'u zind? Nid.
Het bo kun
zu'u ont ru.
Nu nii mul zu'u
Med aan rath.

The stream flows
So did my thoughts
On the great journey
To Sovngarde.
Did I fear? No.
Did I triumph? No.
Here goes the light
I once fled from.
Now it strengthens me
Like a river.
by Frinmulaar
February 17, 2016
Balaan pel. Well done! Stay on this path and you will prosper.

Here are my suggestions for revising the first poem:

Fin ven bo

Ful drey dii mindol

Nau lot wundun

Wah Sovngarde.

Drey zu'u faas? Nid.

Drey zu'u zind? Nid.

Het bo kun

zu'u ont ru.

Nu nii mul zu'u

Med aan rath.

The stream flows

So did my thoughts

On the great journey

To Sovngarde.

Did I fear? No.

Did I triumph? No.

Here goes the light

I once fled from.

Now it strengthens me

Like a river.

Lovaasaar
February 17, 2016
Freymulaar
Balaan pel. Well done! Stay on this path and you will prosper. Here are my suggestions for revising the first poem: Fin ven bo Ful drey dii mindol Nau lot wundun Wah Sovngarde. Drey zu'u faas? Nid. Drey zu'u zind? Nid. Het bo kun zu'u ont ru. Nu nii mul zu'u Med aan rath. The stream flows So did my thoughts On the great journey To Sovngarde. Did I fear? No. Did I triumph? No. Here goes the light I once fled from. Now it strengthens me Like a river.

It's fine ! I was also wondering about the verb "can" in itself. Has it been revised lately for I only found its negative form ? To me it is a real pleasure to be part of that community and practice this conlang, this gives depth to Skyrim (and the Elder Scrolls).
Albeit I wonder why did this overhaul happen ? Would you enlighten me a little or is it explained somewhere on the Forum ?

by Lovaasaar
February 17, 2016
Freymulaar
Balaan pel. Well done! Stay on this path and you will prosper. Here are my suggestions for revising the first poem: Fin ven bo Ful drey dii mindol Nau lot wundun Wah Sovngarde. Drey zu'u faas? Nid. Drey zu'u zind? Nid. Het bo kun zu'u ont ru. Nu nii mul zu'u Med aan rath. The stream flows So did my thoughts On the great journey To Sovngarde. Did I fear? No. Did I triumph? No. Here goes the light I once fled from. Now it strengthens me Like a river.

It's fine ! I was also wondering about the verb "can" in itself. Has it been revised lately for I only found its negative form ? To me it is a real pleasure to be part of that community and practice this conlang, this gives depth to Skyrim (and the Elder Scrolls).
Albeit I wonder why did this overhaul happen ? Would you enlighten me a little or is it explained somewhere on the Forum ?

Frinmulaar
February 17, 2016
The absence of "can" is due to the curse of canon. The negative form appears in Skyrim, but the positive one does not. There are strong guesses of what it might be, and one is in the word notes of Nis.

paarthurnax explains the reasons for the purge in the OP of a thread called "Starting Anew" (on page 2 at the time of writing). The line of thought can be seen in his earlier posts too.
by Frinmulaar
February 17, 2016
The absence of "can" is due to the curse of canon. The negative form appears in Skyrim, but the positive one does not. There are strong guesses of what it might be, and one is in the word notes of Nis.

paarthurnax explains the reasons for the purge in the OP of a thread called "Starting Anew" (on page 2 at the time of writing). The line of thought can be seen in his earlier posts too.

Lovaasaar
February 17, 2016

New poem I conceived.

Vithselokro miin sahqo ko krah vulon.

Nii ag med krein, ag med sos.

Hahkuni viin ko faal frod

Fod vukein los hevno, ahrk nii los.

Loost ahst hofkiini, kiim, kiir, pindaar :

Fen zu'u koraav niin fod ko Sovngarde ?

Zu'u lovaas wah lok. Gein hon zu'u ?

Pah oblaan. Enook kendov siiv moro.

by Lovaasaar
February 17, 2016

New poem I conceived.

Vithselokro miin sahqo ko krah vulon.

Nii ag med krein, ag med sos.

Hahkuni viin ko faal frod

Fod vukein los hevno, ahrk nii los.

Loost ahst hofkiini, kiim, kiir, pindaar :

Fen zu'u koraav niin fod ko Sovngarde ?

Zu'u lovaas wah lok. Gein hon zu'u ?

Pah oblaan. Enook kendov siiv moro.

Lovaasaar
February 17, 2016

New poem, entitled Luv.

Luv un zeymah uznahgaar nol sil.
Dreh kipraan, morah nau ziiseniin.
Nust zaan ahst mu nol lok, mu kah.
So dir. Hahnu do unslaad moro.

Feel free to comment on style, even on meaning if you don't get it.

by Lovaasaar
February 17, 2016

New poem, entitled Luv.

Luv un zeymah uznahgaar nol sil.
Dreh kipraan, morah nau ziiseniin.
Nust zaan ahst mu nol lok, mu kah.
So dir. Hahnu do unslaad moro.

Feel free to comment on style, even on meaning if you don't get it.

Lovaasaar
February 17, 2016

Poem:  Faal od mah.

Zu'u bo slenu enookgein sul
Fod od mah med viing nau gol.
Zu'u kriist us strunmah mulhaan.
Los pruzah.
Mindok do dii bormahhe.
Pah nunon nahlot.

Nota:

enookgein = enook+gein.

bormahhe = this is a particular use of the plural. I don't know if it is canon, but with that plural, I basically wanted to convey the idea of "ancestry", like in "forefather".

by Lovaasaar
February 17, 2016

Poem:  Faal od mah.

Zu'u bo slenu enookgein sul
Fod od mah med viing nau gol.
Zu'u kriist us strunmah mulhaan.
Los pruzah.
Mindok do dii bormahhe.
Pah nunon nahlot.

Nota:

enookgein = enook+gein.

bormahhe = this is a particular use of the plural. I don't know if it is canon, but with that plural, I basically wanted to convey the idea of "ancestry", like in "forefather".

Frinmulaar
February 17, 2016
Nid

enookgein = enook+gein.

Any plural of a known noun can be considered canonical. Same thing with any canon word plus any canon affix.

Also, note that a compound word must actually have the meaning "X that has to do with Y". A zeymahzin is a zeymah who shares the same zin. A hofkiin is the hof in which one was kiin. Something maltiid takes place in a period of tiid that is mal. Constructions like enookgein are unnecessary at best.

Otherwise you seem to be grasping canon just fine. Did I see you omit a copula? Fine job!

by Frinmulaar
February 17, 2016
Nid

enookgein = enook+gein.

Any plural of a known noun can be considered canonical. Same thing with any canon word plus any canon affix.

Also, note that a compound word must actually have the meaning "X that has to do with Y". A zeymahzin is a zeymah who shares the same zin. A hofkiin is the hof in which one was kiin. Something maltiid takes place in a period of tiid that is mal. Constructions like enookgein are unnecessary at best.

Otherwise you seem to be grasping canon just fine. Did I see you omit a copula? Fine job!

Lovaasaar
February 17, 2016
Freymulaar

Thanks a lot ! Which copula exactly ?  I'm a little worried time to time about my compound words. But, I'll continue to write poems if they can help.

by Lovaasaar
February 17, 2016
Freymulaar

Thanks a lot ! Which copula exactly ?  I'm a little worried time to time about my compound words. But, I'll continue to write poems if they can help.

1  2 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.