Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Unlikely Translations

Frinmulaar
February 17, 2016

This thread is dedicated to translating texts other than heroic legends and short poems. I wish to explore the full stylistic reach of dragontongue, and its suitability to rarer forms of text.

For instance, consider this quote:
---
Faal Avaan Maljunaar do Brom drey zorox nilveysun do pogaan wundun.

Us kiinsewundun veysun kriist voth luft wah lok. Pogaas do pahii dein yolrii.
Veysun gaar lot yolos ahrk bo naal fus.

Mindin daar fin dahikke agaan pah yolrii. Nust govey mah wah gol, ol dreh fin sahqo yolriideiniik. Voth laat do suleykii veysun nimaar bo nol su wah vedsenil.

Ko daal veysun ov qahii wah spaan nol frin nos do su. Nii bo voth viingii wah hofkiin pindaar kolos nii saraan.

This translates directly back to English as:
---
The United Small-Kingdoms of North created a void-ship of many voyages.

Before the voyage's beginning the ship stands on the ground with its face to the sky. Much of its entirety holds fire-essence. The ship unleashes a great flame and is made to fly by the force.

After this, the pushers have burned all of their fire-essence. They are removed and fall to the earth, as does the red fire-essence container. With the last of its power the ship itself flies out of the air into the blackness of the void.

During the return, the ship relies on its armor plating to shield it from the hot strike of air. It flies using its wings to its home plain, where it waits.

What unlikely meanings will you convey in draconic? Creativity, stretching of definitions and linguistic trickery are all encouraged!

by Frinmulaar
February 17, 2016

This thread is dedicated to translating texts other than heroic legends and short poems. I wish to explore the full stylistic reach of dragontongue, and its suitability to rarer forms of text.

For instance, consider this quote:
---
Faal Avaan Maljunaar do Brom drey zorox nilveysun do pogaan wundun.

Us kiinsewundun veysun kriist voth luft wah lok. Pogaas do pahii dein yolrii.
Veysun gaar lot yolos ahrk bo naal fus.

Mindin daar fin dahikke agaan pah yolrii. Nust govey mah wah gol, ol dreh fin sahqo yolriideiniik. Voth laat do suleykii veysun nimaar bo nol su wah vedsenil.

Ko daal veysun ov qahii wah spaan nol frin nos do su. Nii bo voth viingii wah hofkiin pindaar kolos nii saraan.

This translates directly back to English as:
---
The United Small-Kingdoms of North created a void-ship of many voyages.

Before the voyage's beginning the ship stands on the ground with its face to the sky. Much of its entirety holds fire-essence. The ship unleashes a great flame and is made to fly by the force.

After this, the pushers have burned all of their fire-essence. They are removed and fall to the earth, as does the red fire-essence container. With the last of its power the ship itself flies out of the air into the blackness of the void.

During the return, the ship relies on its armor plating to shield it from the hot strike of air. It flies using its wings to its home plain, where it waits.

What unlikely meanings will you convey in draconic? Creativity, stretching of definitions and linguistic trickery are all encouraged!

Lovaasaar
February 17, 2016

This is a very interesting text and what strikes me the most are the compound words such as maljunaar for 'small kingdom' and yolriideiniik which I'd analyse as yol-rii-dein-iik, i.e : the guardian of the fire essence, really like it, and by the way, I didn't know we could agglutinate nouns and adjectives this way. Is this canon by the way ?

by Lovaasaar
February 17, 2016

This is a very interesting text and what strikes me the most are the compound words such as maljunaar for 'small kingdom' and yolriideiniik which I'd analyse as yol-rii-dein-iik, i.e : the guardian of the fire essence, really like it, and by the way, I didn't know we could agglutinate nouns and adjectives this way. Is this canon by the way ?

Frinmulaar
February 17, 2016
Nid

Compounding is without exaggeration the very backbone of Dovahzul. I translated this text with extreme care to use canon and nothing but canon; from my point of view other words barely exist anymore.

by Frinmulaar
February 17, 2016
Nid

Compounding is without exaggeration the very backbone of Dovahzul. I translated this text with extreme care to use canon and nothing but canon; from my point of view other words barely exist anymore.

Lovaasaar
February 17, 2016
Freymulaar

So one may use those of this text as a source of vocabulary without fearing to make mistakes, am I right ?

by Lovaasaar
February 17, 2016
Freymulaar

So one may use those of this text as a source of vocabulary without fearing to make mistakes, am I right ?

Frinmulaar
February 17, 2016
Nid

Yes. The only exception would be the use of pah as a noun, which is not attested.

by Frinmulaar
February 17, 2016
Nid

Yes. The only exception would be the use of pah as a noun, which is not attested.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.