Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Common Speech

1  2  3 > >>  

RedCartographer
February 18, 2013

Obviously "Drem Yol Lok" is one of these said idioms. I also suppose one could argue that a shout could be considered a common phrase but I'm iffy on that. A thing I think we should develop to broaden the language could be phrases like the one I had attempted to use  before  "Dovah do zin" dragon of honor or honored one. Lines like this that would be used to address another of greater status. Of course other phrases as well ones perhaps used to confer with a close friend, a mate, an enemy, a contemporary. Not to mention I've also thought of the common greeting the greybeards used. "Sky above, voice within" How does one say that? As well as could there be proverbs? I suppose the question also lies in how far is language and how far is culture? Your thoughts?

by RedCartographer
February 18, 2013

Obviously "Drem Yol Lok" is one of these said idioms. I also suppose one could argue that a shout could be considered a common phrase but I'm iffy on that. A thing I think we should develop to broaden the language could be phrases like the one I had attempted to use  before  "Dovah do zin" dragon of honor or honored one. Lines like this that would be used to address another of greater status. Of course other phrases as well ones perhaps used to confer with a close friend, a mate, an enemy, a contemporary. Not to mention I've also thought of the common greeting the greybeards used. "Sky above, voice within" How does one say that? As well as could there be proverbs? I suppose the question also lies in how far is language and how far is culture? Your thoughts?

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 18, 2013

A quick answer to "Sky above, Voice within", it's simply "Lok, Thu'um" (Lok, Th5m).  Source.

Dragon Language 101 - Part 7 covers a number of common phrases, mostly conversation-related.  All things considered, it's still a slim list though.  I'm sure there are many phrases and idioms in the Dragon Language that wouldn't literally translate to English, and they do seem the proverbial type as well.

An expaned/advanced companion to Part 7 would be very useful.  This thread could be used as a center of discussion for coming up with new phrases, and once we feel we have enough created, we can make a lesson out of them.

by paarthurnax
February 18, 2013

A quick answer to "Sky above, Voice within", it's simply "Lok, Thu'um" (Lok, Th5m).  Source.

Dragon Language 101 - Part 7 covers a number of common phrases, mostly conversation-related.  All things considered, it's still a slim list though.  I'm sure there are many phrases and idioms in the Dragon Language that wouldn't literally translate to English, and they do seem the proverbial type as well.

An expaned/advanced companion to Part 7 would be very useful.  This thread could be used as a center of discussion for coming up with new phrases, and once we feel we have enough created, we can make a lesson out of them.

RedCartographer
February 18, 2013

That is an idea, And thank you I was not aware of that about Lok, Thu'um. I learn something new every day ^^. As for in my draconic language I use for Rp's and my personal creative writing common terms would be ones such as "honored one/elder/king" depending on rank of the one they're speaking to. Another is "according to your wisdom".

by RedCartographer
February 18, 2013

That is an idea, And thank you I was not aware of that about Lok, Thu'um. I learn something new every day ^^. As for in my draconic language I use for Rp's and my personal creative writing common terms would be ones such as "honored one/elder/king" depending on rank of the one they're speaking to. Another is "according to your wisdom".

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 18, 2013
RedCartographer

"honored one/elder/king" ... "according to your wisdom".

As we discussed earlier, you might say the first as "Zinaan Gein/Zuwuth/Jun", and then the second as "Naal hin onikaan".

by paarthurnax
February 18, 2013
RedCartographer

"honored one/elder/king" ... "according to your wisdom".

As we discussed earlier, you might say the first as "Zinaan Gein/Zuwuth/Jun", and then the second as "Naal hin onikaan".

RedCartographer
February 19, 2013

Another one I thougth of would be "May you lose your voice" Which I've translated (hopefully correctly) Aal ho (lose) thu'umi. If my word for lose, qur, is accepted then it would be Aal ho qur thu'umi. I chose to use ho here because when saying something like this I don't think one would be too formal, or if they were using hi it would be in spite of the other.

by RedCartographer
February 19, 2013

Another one I thougth of would be "May you lose your voice" Which I've translated (hopefully correctly) Aal ho (lose) thu'umi. If my word for lose, qur, is accepted then it would be Aal ho qur thu'umi. I chose to use ho here because when saying something like this I don't think one would be too formal, or if they were using hi it would be in spite of the other.

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 19, 2013
RedCartographer

Good use of the informal pronoun.  Now that I think about it it's not in the pronoun table for Lesson 2, I think I'll add it.  Since we've arrived at the word "siz" Siz for "lose", the phrase might look like:

Aal ho siz him Thu'um. 1l ho siz him th5m.

"Thu'umi" is technically correct as well, it's simply a matter of preference whether to use the pronoun or the suffix.  Usually "-i" is reserved for "my", so I've used the posessive pronoun instead.

by paarthurnax
February 19, 2013
RedCartographer

Good use of the informal pronoun.  Now that I think about it it's not in the pronoun table for Lesson 2, I think I'll add it.  Since we've arrived at the word "siz" Siz for "lose", the phrase might look like:

Aal ho siz him Thu'um. 1l ho siz him th5m.

"Thu'umi" is technically correct as well, it's simply a matter of preference whether to use the pronoun or the suffix.  Usually "-i" is reserved for "my", so I've used the posessive pronoun instead.

RedCartographer
February 19, 2013

Ah okay I see, and thank you. 

by RedCartographer
February 19, 2013

Ah okay I see, and thank you. 

RedCartographer
February 20, 2013

I am having difficulty with this one, "We are of one voice" a sort of expression of agreement or alliance. I'm having trouble finding the proper terms for this one.

by RedCartographer
February 20, 2013

I am having difficulty with this one, "We are of one voice" a sort of expression of agreement or alliance. I'm having trouble finding the proper terms for this one.

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 20, 2013
RedCartographer

You might translate it literally: "Mu los do gein Thu'um".  I think this one has particularly cool meaning if you think about it, "We are of one Voice", "We both stem from the same power".  You might also say, "Mu tiinvaak ol gein", "We speak as one".

by paarthurnax
February 20, 2013
RedCartographer

You might translate it literally: "Mu los do gein Thu'um".  I think this one has particularly cool meaning if you think about it, "We are of one Voice", "We both stem from the same power".  You might also say, "Mu tiinvaak ol gein", "We speak as one".

RedCartographer
February 20, 2013

Indeed, geeze could you imagine if there was a such thing as a shout conjoined with another? That would be rather impressive. As for "We both stem from the same power." That could also be taken to envelope all as well "We all..." As an acceptance of brotherhood among one's kind.

by RedCartographer
February 20, 2013

Indeed, geeze could you imagine if there was a such thing as a shout conjoined with another? That would be rather impressive. As for "We both stem from the same power." That could also be taken to envelope all as well "We all..." As an acceptance of brotherhood among one's kind.

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 20, 2013
RedCartographer

Indeed, geeze could you imagine if there was a such thing as a shout conjoined with another?

At the end of the main quest, you do witness this with the Heroes of Sovngarde combining Shouts to dispell Alduin's fog.  But combining  different Shouts among a group...that would be epic.  Imagine the old Nord Tongues waging war against the Snow Elves likes this.

by paarthurnax
February 20, 2013
RedCartographer

Indeed, geeze could you imagine if there was a such thing as a shout conjoined with another?

At the end of the main quest, you do witness this with the Heroes of Sovngarde combining Shouts to dispell Alduin's fog.  But combining  different Shouts among a group...that would be epic.  Imagine the old Nord Tongues waging war against the Snow Elves likes this.

RedCartographer
February 20, 2013

Well yeah that's what I was mostly refering to, not just a group saying the same shout as one. But as if their shouts were weaving into a single shout. It would be incredible I would think.

On the note of sayings I've considered others. Since the dragons are tied into time perhaps a curse would be something around the order of: "Time has no place for you." Or something close to that.

by RedCartographer
February 20, 2013

Well yeah that's what I was mostly refering to, not just a group saying the same shout as one. But as if their shouts were weaving into a single shout. It would be incredible I would think.

On the note of sayings I've considered others. Since the dragons are tied into time perhaps a curse would be something around the order of: "Time has no place for you." Or something close to that.

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 20, 2013

I'm not sure how one might curse in the Dragon Language.  Using time as an insult is possible, and I think cursing their ability to fly might work too.  "Aal hi siz hin viing!", "May you lose your wings!"

The greatest insult/curse of all though would be to question their Thu'um, their power.

by paarthurnax
February 20, 2013

I'm not sure how one might curse in the Dragon Language.  Using time as an insult is possible, and I think cursing their ability to fly might work too.  "Aal hi siz hin viing!", "May you lose your wings!"

The greatest insult/curse of all though would be to question their Thu'um, their power.

Nol
February 21, 2013

If you are looking for common phrases spoken in the Dragon Langauge, check out the Phrases section on the UESP wiki. They appear to have a decent collection going.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Dragon_Language

You'll find it at the bottom of the page right before the references.

by Nol
February 21, 2013

If you are looking for common phrases spoken in the Dragon Langauge, check out the Phrases section on the UESP wiki. They appear to have a decent collection going.

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 21, 2013
Nol

Thanks Nol, that's a very helpful collection.

by paarthurnax
February 21, 2013
Nol

Thanks Nol, that's a very helpful collection.

1  2  3 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.