Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Grammar help

VulonJud
August 11, 2016

Drem yol lok

I was wondering if there is a past tense suffix/prefix or somethin for words in dovahzul

I was emailing my friend and wanted to say 'breathed', ik breath is su'um so do i just use that or is there a special grammar rule for it? 

I havent managed to find a rule about it, but knowing me i completely missed past tense rules :/

Anyway, thank you in advance for all answers :D

-Vulon 

by VulonJud
August 11, 2016

Drem yol lok

I was wondering if there is a past tense suffix/prefix or somethin for words in dovahzul

I was emailing my friend and wanted to say 'breathed', ik breath is su'um so do i just use that or is there a special grammar rule for it? 

I havent managed to find a rule about it, but knowing me i completely missed past tense rules :/

Anyway, thank you in advance for all answers :D

-Vulon 

Frinmulaar
August 11, 2016

In short, you can use sumaan if you have any form of 'have' before the 'breathed', su'um otherwise. I explain the full system below.

There are two grammatical tense: simple and present perfect.

The simple tense does the duties of English simple present, simple past, or present progressive depending on context, and all verbs are listed in this form in the dictionary.

zu'u bo 'I fly/am flying/flew'

zu'u su'um 'I breathe/am breathing/breathed'

To get the present perfect, add the suffix -aan and collapse the long vowel in the second-to-last syllable, if any. The present perfect form can also act as a past participle.

zu'u boaan 'I have flown'

zu'u sumaan 'I have breathed'

If context isn't enough, you can introduce lexical tense and clarify a simple past with drey 'did' and a simple future with fen 'will': zu'u drey su'um 'I breathed', zu'u fen su'um 'I will breathe'

Here is the lesson on this topic.

Edit: su'um is probably limited to supernatural powers, but the point stands.

by Frinmulaar
August 11, 2016

In short, you can use sumaan if you have any form of 'have' before the 'breathed', su'um otherwise. I explain the full system below.

There are two grammatical tense: simple and present perfect.

The simple tense does the duties of English simple present, simple past, or present progressive depending on context, and all verbs are listed in this form in the dictionary.

zu'u bo 'I fly/am flying/flew'

zu'u su'um 'I breathe/am breathing/breathed'

To get the present perfect, add the suffix -aan and collapse the long vowel in the second-to-last syllable, if any. The present perfect form can also act as a past participle.

zu'u boaan 'I have flown'

zu'u sumaan 'I have breathed'

If context isn't enough, you can introduce lexical tense and clarify a simple past with drey 'did' and a simple future with fen 'will': zu'u drey su'um 'I breathed', zu'u fen su'um 'I will breathe'

Here is the lesson on this topic.

Edit: su'um is probably limited to supernatural powers, but the point stands.

VulonJud
August 11, 2016
@Frinmulaar
Oh thank you! This is really helpful :D
by VulonJud
August 11, 2016
@Frinmulaar

Oh thank you! This is really helpful :D

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.