Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Dovahkiin

DovahKiinZaan
October 19, 2016

A while back I was playing a new Skyrim character and I had just killed the first dragon. As I returned to whiterun I heard 'dovahkiin' being shouted. But I heard it in three syllables- dov, ah and kiin. 

The dragon born ends up seeking out the man who called his name; dragons do that when their name is called. Furthermore the name makes sense 'ah' being hunter and 'dov' being wyrm. It may be a man-made shout but so was dragon rend. 

If there is some major gap in my logic can somebody please fill it?

-Robyn

by DovahKiinZaan
October 19, 2016

A while back I was playing a new Skyrim character and I had just killed the first dragon. As I returned to whiterun I heard 'dovahkiin' being shouted. But I heard it in three syllables- dov, ah and kiin. 

The dragon born ends up seeking out the man who called his name; dragons do that when their name is called. Furthermore the name makes sense 'ah' being hunter and 'dov' being wyrm. It may be a man-made shout but so was dragon rend. 

If there is some major gap in my logic can somebody please fill it?

-Robyn

Vulomjotraan
October 19, 2016

I think it's more along the lines of how you summon Odahviing and Durnehviir. Shouting a dragon's name seems to be how dragons call for each other. I'm pretty sure that's how you get Odahviing to Dragonsreach in the first place, because calling a dragon's name is like a challenge (may need confirmation though, I read a lot of fanfiction).

Also, Dovahkiin means "Dragon born", with Dovah being one word meaning a single dragon.

So I think it's not a shout in the same sense as Yol Toor Shul, but more like how people's names are considered words even if they don't mean anything.

by Vulomjotraan
October 19, 2016

I think it's more along the lines of how you summon Odahviing and Durnehviir. Shouting a dragon's name seems to be how dragons call for each other. I'm pretty sure that's how you get Odahviing to Dragonsreach in the first place, because calling a dragon's name is like a challenge (may need confirmation though, I read a lot of fanfiction).

Also, Dovahkiin means "Dragon born", with Dovah being one word meaning a single dragon.

So I think it's not a shout in the same sense as Yol Toor Shul, but more like how people's names are considered words even if they don't mean anything.

Ruvgein
October 19, 2016

Other than Arngeir, the Greybeards' voices are too powerful for speaking.  If they speak, the mountain trembles.

They do "summon" the dragonborn, but it is more their way of sending a letter than a Shout.

by Ruvgein
October 19, 2016

Other than Arngeir, the Greybeards' voices are too powerful for speaking.  If they speak, the mountain trembles.

They do "summon" the dragonborn, but it is more their way of sending a letter than a Shout.

Firestar
October 27, 2016

No, I don't believe it is a shout. Shouts are kind of like, spells of sorts. When the greybeards call teh protaginists name, it has no magical properties, outside of being really loud I guess.

No. No it is not.

by Firestar
October 27, 2016

No, I don't believe it is a shout. Shouts are kind of like, spells of sorts. When the greybeards call teh protaginists name, it has no magical properties, outside of being really loud I guess.

No. No it is not.

Toorlokviing
November 5, 2016
Ruvgein

if one wants to be technical...dovahkiin can be broken down into a shout, "dov ah kiin". both of you could be right in that regard. if a dragon wanted to challenge the dragonborn they could also do the same thing  the grebeards did. out of curiosity you will go investigate because deep down you are being called to that location. maybe that curiosity stems from the dragon soul or maybe its just you seeking out the originator of the one who called for you.

by Toorlokviing
November 5, 2016
Ruvgein

if one wants to be technical...dovahkiin can be broken down into a shout, "dov ah kiin". both of you could be right in that regard. if a dragon wanted to challenge the dragonborn they could also do the same thing  the grebeards did. out of curiosity you will go investigate because deep down you are being called to that location. maybe that curiosity stems from the dragon soul or maybe its just you seeking out the originator of the one who called for you.

ChartheBD
November 6, 2016
If normal words can be powerful enough to create a sonic boom (as that's how loud it would have to be to travel that far) would that mean that a dragon can make whatever type of power it wants (depending on the type) based by its shouts? A dragon could say DuKeizaalBah and that would mean bring wrath to Skyrim and devour it if they focused enough energy into the shout, so a dragon a bit stronger than Alcuin could basically do anything and destroy Skyrim in seconds.
by ChartheBD
November 6, 2016
If normal words can be powerful enough to create a sonic boom (as that's how loud it would have to be to travel that far) would that mean that a dragon can make whatever type of power it wants (depending on the type) based by its shouts? A dragon could say DuKeizaalBah and that would mean bring wrath to Skyrim and devour it if they focused enough energy into the shout, so a dragon a bit stronger than Alcuin could basically do anything and destroy Skyrim in seconds.

DovahKiinZaan
November 7, 2016
@ChartheBD

For the sonic boom... loudness isn't equivalent to speed. Sound can't exceed the speed of sound.
by DovahKiinZaan
November 7, 2016
@ChartheBD

For the sonic boom... loudness isn't equivalent to speed. Sound can't exceed the speed of sound.

SuleykaarKinbok
November 11, 2016

well maybe the laws are diferent in skyrim.

by SuleykaarKinbok
November 11, 2016

well maybe the laws are diferent in skyrim.

DovahKiinZaan
November 12, 2016
@Lord Leviathan

It is literally impossible for something with a set maximum speed to travel past the set maximum speed. A sonic boom is the the result of an object (never photons) travelling faster than the speed with which sound travels. It's why a pilot never hears their own sonic boom.
by DovahKiinZaan
November 12, 2016
@Lord Leviathan

It is literally impossible for something with a set maximum speed to travel past the set maximum speed. A sonic boom is the the result of an object (never photons) travelling faster than the speed with which sound travels. It's why a pilot never hears their own sonic boom.

BlackBox
December 15, 2016

Technically, dovahkiin COULD be a shout. Instead of dovah kiin, "dragon born", it could be dov ah kiin, "born (to) hunt dragonkind". It would still be a title, but aren't dragon names just descriptions of what the dragon has accomplished, their personality, or their fate (such as Alduin's name)?

So maybe the Greybeards calling the Dovahkiin is them using "dovahkiin" as a shout rather than just "dragon born"..

by BlackBox
December 15, 2016

Technically, dovahkiin COULD be a shout. Instead of dovah kiin, "dragon born", it could be dov ah kiin, "born (to) hunt dragonkind". It would still be a title, but aren't dragon names just descriptions of what the dragon has accomplished, their personality, or their fate (such as Alduin's name)?

So maybe the Greybeards calling the Dovahkiin is them using "dovahkiin" as a shout rather than just "dragon born"..

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.