Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Dragons of skyrim, real or fake?

Thurdremstrunma
December 11, 2016

Wyverns are two winged dragons with two legs, your typical skyrim dragon, where as dragon in legend and folklore have four legs and two wings. It does bring me krosis when games don't point out that there is a difference to them. So lends to this, what do you think, Dragon, or Wyvern?

by Thurdremstrunma
December 11, 2016

Wyverns are two winged dragons with two legs, your typical skyrim dragon, where as dragon in legend and folklore have four legs and two wings. It does bring me krosis when games don't point out that there is a difference to them. So lends to this, what do you think, Dragon, or Wyvern?

Thurdremstrunma
December 11, 2016

This is really up to debate when given much thought, just always bugged me about how they looked compared to their names.

by Thurdremstrunma
December 11, 2016

This is really up to debate when given much thought, just always bugged me about how they looked compared to their names.

SuleykaarKinbok
December 13, 2016

Well Wyverns don't use their wings for walking like Skyrim dragons.  otherwise i don't see a difference.

by SuleykaarKinbok
December 13, 2016

Well Wyverns don't use their wings for walking like Skyrim dragons.  otherwise i don't see a difference.

Ingot
December 13, 2016

The dovah are dragons because the game says they are dragons, dragons are entirely in the public domain and people are free to interpret dragons however they wish. Falkor the Luck Dragon, for example, from the Never Ending Story, is a dragon, even though he has no wings. Cultural and traditional definitions are irrelevant to Skyrim because they too are merely interpretations. Wyverns vs dragons originated in Western heraldry, so in the context of heraldry, or any universe with a wyvern/dragon difference, the difference exists. However in a universe like Skyrim, where "wyverns" are called dragons, wyverns are the same as dragons, and so therefore the dovah are dragons. Tradional Mythology and the Skyrim Universe are seperate, and are not subject to each others definitions. For example, I can't say that Chinese dragons aren't real dragons because they can't Shout, because what Skyrim calls a "dragon" is entirely irrelevent to what the Chinese call a "dragon."

by Ingot
December 13, 2016

The dovah are dragons because the game says they are dragons, dragons are entirely in the public domain and people are free to interpret dragons however they wish. Falkor the Luck Dragon, for example, from the Never Ending Story, is a dragon, even though he has no wings. Cultural and traditional definitions are irrelevant to Skyrim because they too are merely interpretations. Wyverns vs dragons originated in Western heraldry, so in the context of heraldry, or any universe with a wyvern/dragon difference, the difference exists. However in a universe like Skyrim, where "wyverns" are called dragons, wyverns are the same as dragons, and so therefore the dovah are dragons. Tradional Mythology and the Skyrim Universe are seperate, and are not subject to each others definitions. For example, I can't say that Chinese dragons aren't real dragons because they can't Shout, because what Skyrim calls a "dragon" is entirely irrelevent to what the Chinese call a "dragon."

SuleykaarKinbok
December 16, 2016

. . . . wow. . . .that was. . . . informitive.

by SuleykaarKinbok
December 16, 2016

Thurdremstrunma
December 16, 2016
SuleykaarKinbok

Just trying to spark a little conversation into everyone, get their gears grinding and thinking! glad you found it informitive, have a merry day!

by Thurdremstrunma
December 16, 2016
SuleykaarKinbok

Just trying to spark a little conversation into everyone, get their gears grinding and thinking! glad you found it informitive, have a merry day!

Beinodvith
December 20, 2016

Arent wyverns long, while dragons in skyrim are shorter and taller?

by Beinodvith
December 20, 2016

Beinodvith
December 20, 2016
Beinodvith

?More simply, Wyverns are like snakes while dragons are like birds with lots of spikes, are really big and has a big head with a long neck and tail...

by Beinodvith
December 20, 2016
Beinodvith

?More simply, Wyverns are like snakes while dragons are like birds with lots of spikes, are really big and has a big head with a long neck and tail...

LordOlbodiis
January 9, 2017

i kinda say mixed? but it's skyrim lore, i have very little to say for it.

by LordOlbodiis
January 9, 2017

i kinda say mixed? but it's skyrim lore, i have very little to say for it.

Malkendov
January 10, 2017

I am not shure. Interesting question though! Should have more research put into it.

by Malkendov
January 10, 2017

I am not shure. Interesting question though! Should have more research put into it.

Alucard
January 12, 2017

this is a very interesting thought about the wyverns are a very interesting and the certain charasitcs about the creatures are very mysterious and there origin of there story is very mysterious also

by Alucard
January 12, 2017

this is a very interesting thought about the wyverns are a very interesting and the certain charasitcs about the creatures are very mysterious and there origin of there story is very mysterious also

Frinmulaar
January 18, 2017
I just tend to find some vestige of realism in the fact that four limbs would be more plausible in our universe than six.
by Frinmulaar
January 18, 2017
I just tend to find some vestige of realism in the fact that four limbs would be more plausible in our universe than six.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.