Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Tattoo phrase

[deleted]
November 5, 2013

I'm getting a tattoo in a few months and I wanted to use Dovahzul for a quote from The Hobbit (kinda blending the fandoms). I did my research and tried to get the write tenses and vocabulary (and diphthongs). Thankfully the phrase is relatively simple. 

Anyway, the quote is: "So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings"

My translation: "Ful m(ey)z od mindin yol, ahrk orin dov(ah)he lost n(ii)st obl(aa)n"

Alternative: ""Ful m(ey)z od mindin yol, ahrk orin dov(ah)he lost obl(aa)na"

**(xx) being a diphthong

So including the possible grammar issues, I have a specific question:

-For "endings", I use "end" -> "oblaan" but I'm wondering if using "oblaanvonne" will make it "endings". If not, I noticed the word "unending" -> "unslaad" in the dictionary but I am not sure how to remove the negation "un-" from unending.

Further information on any part would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

by [deleted]
November 5, 2013

I'm getting a tattoo in a few months and I wanted to use Dovahzul for a quote from The Hobbit (kinda blending the fandoms). I did my research and tried to get the write tenses and vocabulary (and diphthongs). Thankfully the phrase is relatively simple. 

Anyway, the quote is: "So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings"

My translation: "Ful m(ey)z od mindin yol, ahrk orin dov(ah)he lost n(ii)st obl(aa)n"

Alternative: ""Ful m(ey)z od mindin yol, ahrk orin dov(ah)he lost obl(aa)na"

**(xx) being a diphthong

So including the possible grammar issues, I have a specific question:

-For "endings", I use "end" -> "oblaan" but I'm wondering if using "oblaanvonne" will make it "endings". If not, I noticed the word "unending" -> "unslaad" in the dictionary but I am not sure how to remove the negation "un-" from unending.

Further information on any part would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

paarthurnax
Administrator
November 5, 2013

For tattoos I always recommend sticking with the canon language, and the great thing about your quote is that every word except "their" has a canon translation.

Some of the grammatical rules aren't canon, so I would reduce your translation to the most grammatically simple form as possible. My rendition is:

Ful meyz od mindin yol, ahrk orin dovah lost oblaan

It's not a literal translation, which I think is important. It's the most canon translation possible. So, this ultimately means:

So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have an end.

Which I think fits really well with the original quote and what you have to work with.

by paarthurnax
November 5, 2013

For tattoos I always recommend sticking with the canon language, and the great thing about your quote is that every word except "their" has a canon translation.

Some of the grammatical rules aren't canon, so I would reduce your translation to the most grammatically simple form as possible. My rendition is:

Ful meyz od mindin yol, ahrk orin dovah lost oblaan

It's not a literal translation, which I think is important. It's the most canon translation possible. So, this ultimately means:

So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have an end.

Which I think fits really well with the original quote and what you have to work with.

[deleted]
November 5, 2013

Okay thank you so much for the insightful and quick reply. I'll stick with your suggestion as canon is ideal. No translation is perfect but this one is darn near close. 

As someone who has picked up the Mando'a language and the Aurebesh alphabet from Star Wars and an avid lover the Elder Scrolls series, studying Dovahzul will be fun.

Thanks again!

by [deleted]
November 5, 2013

Okay thank you so much for the insightful and quick reply. I'll stick with your suggestion as canon is ideal. No translation is perfect but this one is darn near close. 

As someone who has picked up the Mando'a language and the Aurebesh alphabet from Star Wars and an avid lover the Elder Scrolls series, studying Dovahzul will be fun.

Thanks again!

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.