A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Wall Font

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 13, 2017

Download dragon word wall font

For the unaware, Skyrim presents two rune alphabets: the one you're likely familiar with that we use here on the site, and a slightly different rune-set on Word Wall inscriptions like the one below.

A font for these runes has somewhat been my white whale, and yesterday I decided to dive into the Creation Kit and see what I could find. After a lot of digging, I finally extracted the dragon rune texture pictured below.

At first it seemed like it would be a lot of trouble to try and isolate the runes themselves. After poking at the Word Wall meshes, I realized the texture had an alpha layer to mask out the runes, which made this project a lot easier.

I traced the runes in my font editor, and pretty quickly I had a working font. I adjusted the glyph sizes and positions to match the game as closely as possible. Below is the final result comparing the standard dragon rune font and the new font.

Most notably this font has an official hypen symbol, which is lacking on the standard font. I recommend using the standard font where possible but this one is fun to have regardless.

by paarthurnax
February 13, 2017

Download dragon word wall font

For the unaware, Skyrim presents two rune alphabets: the one you're likely familiar with that we use here on the site, and a slightly different rune-set on Word Wall inscriptions like the one below.

A font for these runes has somewhat been my white whale, and yesterday I decided to dive into the Creation Kit and see what I could find. After a lot of digging, I finally extracted the dragon rune texture pictured below.

At first it seemed like it would be a lot of trouble to try and isolate the runes themselves. After poking at the Word Wall meshes, I realized the texture had an alpha layer to mask out the runes, which made this project a lot easier.

I traced the runes in my font editor, and pretty quickly I had a working font. I adjusted the glyph sizes and positions to match the game as closely as possible. Below is the final result comparing the standard dragon rune font and the new font.

Most notably this font has an official hypen symbol, which is lacking on the standard font. I recommend using the standard font where possible but this one is fun to have regardless.

Kronvullok
February 24, 2017
Well, that's cool! I never noticed that there was a difference in the fonts.
by Kronvullok
February 24, 2017
Well, that's cool! I never noticed that there was a difference in the fonts.

Ruvgein
March 2, 2017

I foresee ways to use this in the future...

by Ruvgein
March 2, 2017

I foresee ways to use this in the future...

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.