Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

A Tail of Great Wander (pun very much intended)

1  2 > >>  

Sildoyol
July 13, 2017

Prologue

Khala-lee sat by the warm, crackling fire. The light spread over the hearth with a sullen glow, casting deep, sharp shadows over the planes of her face. She twisted a tankard of ale in her hands, lost in a daydream. The full moon watched over her from its lofty height in the starlit sky, bigger and brighter than, it seemed, ever before. 

A mewling yowl struck up from the tiny grey Khajiit cub in the corner. He was swathed in thick, patterned blankets from head to toe, wriggling and squirming with determined vigour. S'Raia had given birth to him last Morndas, and named him Jiiro after their proud, warrior grandfather, Do'Jiiro. 

Khala-lee let out a low, quiet hiss. Jiiro was silent. He'd been a pain for the past three days, howling and yowling and ever mewling for food or milk, often waking everybody in the house. Khala-lee sighed, hoping against hope that tonight Jiiro would stay silent. She downed the ale in one swig, then stood up, needing a bit of fresh air. She moved the silk curtain aside, opening the door onto the veranda that looked out over a small, turquoise lake that was nestled in the heart of the desert. tall palm trees swayed in the muggy night air, and crickets chirped softly in the shadows. Khala-lee took a deep breath, her hair jewellery clinking. The smell of burnt moon sugar wafted up from below. It gave her a giddy rush, making her more alert yet relaxed at the same time. Jo'Vira must have been trying to concoct some sort of moon sugar sweet. It smelt nice. Khala-lee looked down to the porch, and sure enough, Jo'Vira was stood over a cauldron, mixing a dark, gloopy, treacle-like substance that bubbled over a fire. Her long, white hair was bound in a messy ponytail-bun and she had the sleeves of her brightly coloured robe rolled up, hard at work. Khala-lee smiled, her fangs glinting in the moonlight.

A tiny miaow sounded from behind. Khala-lee whirled round, only to see Jiiro padding along on his tiny paws. He tripped and swayed clumsily, only just learning to walk. He miaowed again, and Khala-lee hastily scooped him up before he could walk off the balcony. To any ignorant man, mer or Argonian, Jiiro would appear to be but a housecat. But Khala-lee knew better. She cradled him, careful not to let her long talons or wide bracelets jab him. Jiiro was an Alfiq, born to be but a small, four-legged 'cat'. Khala-lee hurried inside, swaddling Jiiro in his blanket again, and then quietly padding downstairs to where everyone slept, on beds and the floor respectively. M'Zhar was even draped upon the arm of a wide chair, one great paw dangling down, gently brushing against Siahra's nose as they both slept. Khala-lee tiptoed over the assorted Khajiit, trying not to provoke the burbling cub in her arms to make any louder noises. Eventually she reached S'Raia, Jiiro's mother, who snored peacefully in small bed, the moonlight illuminating her Bosmer-like looks and fine grey fur. Khala-lee shook S'Raia's shoulder gently, whispering, "S'Raia, your cub is restless. He nearly escaped!" S'Raia sat up sleepily, smiling and taking Jiiro into her arms. She thanked Khala-lee, yawning, then began to rock her cub gently, shushing him and lulling him into a soft sleep as she held him against her chest.

Khala-lee lay on a soft rug that covered nearly the entire floor. Dreams of great adventure and dark moons plagued her (seemingly) endlessly, until- footsteps. Soft, yet loud enough for the sharpest ears to hear. A fresh, fruity scent briefly breezed past, then Khala-lee heard the snick of a door being shut. She got up, her eyes heavy with sleep. She followed the fast-disappearing scent towards the door furthest from her. She opened it, stepping forward. No light could get into the windowless hallway, but that did not matter to Khala-lee, for being a Khajiit, she could easily see in the dark. She saw Ja'Zhayla, a pack on her back and comfortable travelling clothes on. The front door was open, letting the smell of burnt moon sugar come into the house. Two cloaked figures stood outside. Khala-lee broke the still silence, "Ja'Zhayla." she purred softly. Ja'Zhayla slowly turned around, her gloved hands shaking slightly. Her short, red hair fell over her face, framing her bright blue eyes. She quaked beneath the gaze of yellow eyes that stared back at her. "Khala-lee... I can explain! I- I didn't want anyone to know until tomorrow, but... you can keep a secret?" she said, her voice high with fear. Khala-lee nodded grimly. "Oh, thank the gods for that. See, I'm... I've decided to travel far with my two friends here," she gestured to the cloaked figures, who turned out to be an Altmer and a Bosmer, "and we're going to promote the friendship and trust that the Aldmeri Dominion gives!" she finished, her eyes gleaming in excited anticipation. Khala-lee sighed, "So be it. May the moons watch over you, Ja'Zhayla." her heart was rent in two. Ja'Zhayla had been Khala-lee's closest friend and twin for all her life, and Khala-lee had hoped to set out into the world on the day of their eighteenth birthday with her, such that she would not be alone when the time came that their family would throw them out of the already-overcrowded home. But alas, that was not to be so. Ja'Zhayla hurried across to give Khala-lee (now looking dismal without meaning to) a quick hug, before she disappeared into the night, uttering a quick 'goodbye' as she shut the door literally and metaphorically on her past life. 

The next morning came, and the family was in chaos at the running away of Ja'Zhayla. The week past in a blurred frenzy, and soon enough, Khala-lee's eighteenth birthday was soon upon her.

S'Raia tightened the straps of Khala-lee's pack, shoving some bread, cheese, and ale into it before shoving her out the door. Khala-lee's mother, Dar'Ushi, waved a quick goodbye, then shut the door. Such was the way Khala-lee's family had kicked out khajiit after khajiit once they turned eighteen. This was only done when the house began to become crowded, and khajiit were only kicked out if they were between eighteen and twenty-four, until the house was more empty and the cycle would loop back on itself.

Khala-lee looked back at the large, ramshackle house. The gritty wind whipped her face, wrenching her red hair out of its various braids. She cursed the fact that she couldn't tuck it behind her ears, or twist it up, for it was barely shoulder-length. She gripped the straps of her pack with brown, furry hands, and set out on a long journey in whatever direction her feet took her through the mysterious sands of Elsweyr. 

by Sildoyol
July 13, 2017

Prologue

Khala-lee sat by the warm, crackling fire. The light spread over the hearth with a sullen glow, casting deep, sharp shadows over the planes of her face. She twisted a tankard of ale in her hands, lost in a daydream. The full moon watched over her from its lofty height in the starlit sky, bigger and brighter than, it seemed, ever before. 

A mewling yowl struck up from the tiny grey Khajiit cub in the corner. He was swathed in thick, patterned blankets from head to toe, wriggling and squirming with determined vigour. S'Raia had given birth to him last Morndas, and named him Jiiro after their proud, warrior grandfather, Do'Jiiro. 

Khala-lee let out a low, quiet hiss. Jiiro was silent. He'd been a pain for the past three days, howling and yowling and ever mewling for food or milk, often waking everybody in the house. Khala-lee sighed, hoping against hope that tonight Jiiro would stay silent. She downed the ale in one swig, then stood up, needing a bit of fresh air. She moved the silk curtain aside, opening the door onto the veranda that looked out over a small, turquoise lake that was nestled in the heart of the desert. tall palm trees swayed in the muggy night air, and crickets chirped softly in the shadows. Khala-lee took a deep breath, her hair jewellery clinking. The smell of burnt moon sugar wafted up from below. It gave her a giddy rush, making her more alert yet relaxed at the same time. Jo'Vira must have been trying to concoct some sort of moon sugar sweet. It smelt nice. Khala-lee looked down to the porch, and sure enough, Jo'Vira was stood over a cauldron, mixing a dark, gloopy, treacle-like substance that bubbled over a fire. Her long, white hair was bound in a messy ponytail-bun and she had the sleeves of her brightly coloured robe rolled up, hard at work. Khala-lee smiled, her fangs glinting in the moonlight.

A tiny miaow sounded from behind. Khala-lee whirled round, only to see Jiiro padding along on his tiny paws. He tripped and swayed clumsily, only just learning to walk. He miaowed again, and Khala-lee hastily scooped him up before he could walk off the balcony. To any ignorant man, mer or Argonian, Jiiro would appear to be but a housecat. But Khala-lee knew better. She cradled him, careful not to let her long talons or wide bracelets jab him. Jiiro was an Alfiq, born to be but a small, four-legged 'cat'. Khala-lee hurried inside, swaddling Jiiro in his blanket again, and then quietly padding downstairs to where everyone slept, on beds and the floor respectively. M'Zhar was even draped upon the arm of a wide chair, one great paw dangling down, gently brushing against Siahra's nose as they both slept. Khala-lee tiptoed over the assorted Khajiit, trying not to provoke the burbling cub in her arms to make any louder noises. Eventually she reached S'Raia, Jiiro's mother, who snored peacefully in small bed, the moonlight illuminating her Bosmer-like looks and fine grey fur. Khala-lee shook S'Raia's shoulder gently, whispering, "S'Raia, your cub is restless. He nearly escaped!" S'Raia sat up sleepily, smiling and taking Jiiro into her arms. She thanked Khala-lee, yawning, then began to rock her cub gently, shushing him and lulling him into a soft sleep as she held him against her chest.

Khala-lee lay on a soft rug that covered nearly the entire floor. Dreams of great adventure and dark moons plagued her (seemingly) endlessly, until- footsteps. Soft, yet loud enough for the sharpest ears to hear. A fresh, fruity scent briefly breezed past, then Khala-lee heard the snick of a door being shut. She got up, her eyes heavy with sleep. She followed the fast-disappearing scent towards the door furthest from her. She opened it, stepping forward. No light could get into the windowless hallway, but that did not matter to Khala-lee, for being a Khajiit, she could easily see in the dark. She saw Ja'Zhayla, a pack on her back and comfortable travelling clothes on. The front door was open, letting the smell of burnt moon sugar come into the house. Two cloaked figures stood outside. Khala-lee broke the still silence, "Ja'Zhayla." she purred softly. Ja'Zhayla slowly turned around, her gloved hands shaking slightly. Her short, red hair fell over her face, framing her bright blue eyes. She quaked beneath the gaze of yellow eyes that stared back at her. "Khala-lee... I can explain! I- I didn't want anyone to know until tomorrow, but... you can keep a secret?" she said, her voice high with fear. Khala-lee nodded grimly. "Oh, thank the gods for that. See, I'm... I've decided to travel far with my two friends here," she gestured to the cloaked figures, who turned out to be an Altmer and a Bosmer, "and we're going to promote the friendship and trust that the Aldmeri Dominion gives!" she finished, her eyes gleaming in excited anticipation. Khala-lee sighed, "So be it. May the moons watch over you, Ja'Zhayla." her heart was rent in two. Ja'Zhayla had been Khala-lee's closest friend and twin for all her life, and Khala-lee had hoped to set out into the world on the day of their eighteenth birthday with her, such that she would not be alone when the time came that their family would throw them out of the already-overcrowded home. But alas, that was not to be so. Ja'Zhayla hurried across to give Khala-lee (now looking dismal without meaning to) a quick hug, before she disappeared into the night, uttering a quick 'goodbye' as she shut the door literally and metaphorically on her past life. 

The next morning came, and the family was in chaos at the running away of Ja'Zhayla. The week past in a blurred frenzy, and soon enough, Khala-lee's eighteenth birthday was soon upon her.

S'Raia tightened the straps of Khala-lee's pack, shoving some bread, cheese, and ale into it before shoving her out the door. Khala-lee's mother, Dar'Ushi, waved a quick goodbye, then shut the door. Such was the way Khala-lee's family had kicked out khajiit after khajiit once they turned eighteen. This was only done when the house began to become crowded, and khajiit were only kicked out if they were between eighteen and twenty-four, until the house was more empty and the cycle would loop back on itself.

Khala-lee looked back at the large, ramshackle house. The gritty wind whipped her face, wrenching her red hair out of its various braids. She cursed the fact that she couldn't tuck it behind her ears, or twist it up, for it was barely shoulder-length. She gripped the straps of her pack with brown, furry hands, and set out on a long journey in whatever direction her feet took her through the mysterious sands of Elsweyr. 

Sildolok
July 13, 2017

Just read up to Ja'Zhayla leaving.

Khajiit worship moons, not gods (except Anur and Phadome who aren't really gods in the sense Ja'Zhayla must be refering to. I'm very dissapointed in your lack of Khajiit lore scholarship.

Also you were frustrated with my use of commas, yet you use the punctuation in a similiar fashion. Sorry if I came on harsh, just criticing to make your work better.

(Oh and underaged drinking and second hand drug usage is not suitable for the inhabitants of this website, otherwise, well done!)

~ Sildolok - Soul of air

by Sildolok
July 13, 2017

Khajiit worship moons, not gods (except Anur and Phadome who aren't really gods in the sense Ja'Zhayla must be refering to. I'm very dissapointed in your lack of Khajiit lore scholarship.

Also you were frustrated with my use of commas, yet you use the punctuation in a similiar fashion. Sorry if I came on harsh, just criticing to make your work better.

(Oh and underaged drinking and second hand drug usage is not suitable for the inhabitants of this website, otherwise, well done!)

~ Sildolok - Soul of air

Sildoyol
July 15, 2017
Sildolok

~ Sildolok - Soul of air

I know that their religion is to do with moon shtoof. I have, as you well know, read 'Words of Clan Mother Ahnissi(spelt right?)'. And, honestly, I'm kind of surprised Khajiit don't worship Azura, if my knowledge of the lore is correct. And ALSO, saying 'thank the gods' doesn't necessarily mean you worship them, it's just thanking them. Acknowledging that they're there. Also, who's to say she didn't use it like most modern-day people would use 'thank god'? That's what Ja'Zhayla meant by gods anyway, and I think 'Phadome' is spelt otherwise, but who am I to know? I DO NOT use commas like you do. You replace full stops with commas, whereas I put more short pauses (i.e. commas) in my sentences. With full stops in the same places. 

(Khala-lee is not- oh wait. Emm well TAMRIEL DOES NOT HAVE DRINKABLE WATER so too bad, would you rather Khala-lee (what's the equivalent of starved but water) (if that even made sense) and what do you mean 'second hand' drug usage? As in using skooma in sweets?? These are Khajiit we're talking about!

- Sildoyol - Soul of Fire

by Sildoyol
July 15, 2017
Sildolok

~ Sildolok - Soul of air

I know that their religion is to do with moon shtoof. I have, as you well know, read 'Words of Clan Mother Ahnissi(spelt right?)'. And, honestly, I'm kind of surprised Khajiit don't worship Azura, if my knowledge of the lore is correct. And ALSO, saying 'thank the gods' doesn't necessarily mean you worship them, it's just thanking them. Acknowledging that they're there. Also, who's to say she didn't use it like most modern-day people would use 'thank god'? That's what Ja'Zhayla meant by gods anyway, and I think 'Phadome' is spelt otherwise, but who am I to know? I DO NOT use commas like you do. You replace full stops with commas, whereas I put more short pauses (i.e. commas) in my sentences. With full stops in the same places. 

(Khala-lee is not- oh wait. Emm well TAMRIEL DOES NOT HAVE DRINKABLE WATER so too bad, would you rather Khala-lee (what's the equivalent of starved but water) (if that even made sense) and what do you mean 'second hand' drug usage? As in using skooma in sweets?? These are Khajiit we're talking about!

Sildoyol
July 15, 2017

And thankyou for the 'well done'.

by Sildoyol
July 15, 2017

And thankyou for the 'well done'.

Sildoyol
July 15, 2017

OH WAIT she didn't even use skooma, she used MOON SUGAR, not a drug! (if I incorrectly put the word 'skooma' in place of 'moon sugar' later in the story, I'm sorry, I need to go check.)

by Sildoyol
July 15, 2017

OH WAIT she didn't even use skooma, she used MOON SUGAR, not a drug! (if I incorrectly put the word 'skooma' in place of 'moon sugar' later in the story, I'm sorry, I need to go check.)

Sildoyol
July 15, 2017

Do you have to be eighteen to drink alcohol?? Oh well, it doesn't matter.

by Sildoyol
July 15, 2017

Do you have to be eighteen to drink alcohol?? Oh well, it doesn't matter.

Sildolok
July 15, 2017
Sildoyol

Ok thanks for clarifying, however, moon sugar is a drug. Though I think Khajiit are immune to it as it's used a spice in foods...

Also, of course there is drinkable water in Tamriel, there is a magical thing called boiling water to eraditicate germs.

by Sildolok
July 15, 2017
Sildoyol

Ok thanks for clarifying, however, moon sugar is a drug. Though I think Khajiit are immune to it as it's used a spice in foods...

Also, of course there is drinkable water in Tamriel, there is a magical thing called boiling water to eraditicate germs.

Sildoyol
July 15, 2017
Sildolok

That's all good then. But, how is moon sugar a drug?? I mean, I suppose you don't get it in shops, but... well, I guess skooma doesn't have any negative affects either (at least for the Dragonborn haha) (well, by negative affects I mean, like, actually really really bad effects or addiction). And anyway, if Khajiit are IMMUNE to it, then surely it's all fine for a bunch of Khajiit to use it?

And, pray tell, where exactly in Tamriel can I find already-boiled water? I have to make it myself? Sorry, I need a mod before I can boil water. (hahaha it's true though...) (AND SHE'S LITERALLY A WEEK AWAY FROM BEING OLD ENOUGH)

by Sildoyol
July 15, 2017
Sildolok

That's all good then. But, how is moon sugar a drug?? I mean, I suppose you don't get it in shops, but... well, I guess skooma doesn't have any negative affects either (at least for the Dragonborn haha) (well, by negative affects I mean, like, actually really really bad effects or addiction). And anyway, if Khajiit are IMMUNE to it, then surely it's all fine for a bunch of Khajiit to use it?

And, pray tell, where exactly in Tamriel can I find already-boiled water? I have to make it myself? Sorry, I need a mod before I can boil water. (hahaha it's true though...) (AND SHE'S LITERALLY A WEEK AWAY FROM BEING OLD ENOUGH)

Sildolok
July 15, 2017
Sildoyol

okey dokey...

by Sildolok
July 15, 2017
Sildoyol

okey dokey...

Ruvgein
July 20, 2017
I'm seeing this back and forth. Got some words.

1. Sildoyol, don't use so much caps. No one was arguing with you, so it's kinda rude because it goes against the rules.
2. Don't post so many times in a row, just edit your last post as to not make spam. Which is also against the rules.
3. Keeping up being not nice will get you banned, so please be respectful of others' opinions.

Moon Sugar is a narcotic. It affects Khajiit less then men, but still affects them. The Khajiit have their own pantheon of gods.

And finally: you can put a rating in the description. E (Everyone) T (Teen) and M (Mature) are what's normally used.
by Ruvgein
July 20, 2017
I'm seeing this back and forth. Got some words.

1. Sildoyol, don't use so much caps. No one was arguing with you, so it's kinda rude because it goes against the rules.

2. Don't post so many times in a row, just edit your last post as to not make spam. Which is also against the rules.

3. Keeping up being not nice will get you banned, so please be respectful of others' opinions.

Moon Sugar is a narcotic. It affects Khajiit less then men, but still affects them. The Khajiit have their own pantheon of gods.

And finally: you can put a rating in the description. E (Everyone) T (Teen) and M (Mature) are what's normally used.

Sildolok
July 20, 2017
Ruvgein
I'm seeing this back and forth. Got some words. 1. Sildoyol, don't use so much caps. No one was arguing with you, so it's kinda rude because it goes against the rules. 2. Don't post so many times in a row, just edit your last post as to not make spam. Which is also against the rules. 3. Keeping up being not nice will get you banned, so please be respectful of others' opinions. Moon Sugar is a narcotic. It affects Khajiit less then men, but still affects them. The Khajiit have their own pantheon of gods. And finally: you can put a rating in the description. E (Everyone) T (Teen) and M (Mature) are what's normally used.

Don't worry Ruvgein me and Sildoyol are pals.

by Sildolok
July 20, 2017
Ruvgein
I'm seeing this back and forth. Got some words. 1. Sildoyol, don't use so much caps. No one was arguing with you, so it's kinda rude because it goes against the rules. 2. Don't post so many times in a row, just edit your last post as to not make spam. Which is also against the rules. 3. Keeping up being not nice will get you banned, so please be respectful of others' opinions. Moon Sugar is a narcotic. It affects Khajiit less then men, but still affects them. The Khajiit have their own pantheon of gods. And finally: you can put a rating in the description. E (Everyone) T (Teen) and M (Mature) are what's normally used.

Sildolok
July 20, 2017

This post has been deleted.

by Sildolok
July 20, 2017

Sildolok
July 20, 2017

by Sildolok
July 20, 2017

Ruvgein
July 20, 2017
Sildolok

That would explain the name similarities.

by Ruvgein
July 20, 2017
Sildolok

Sildolok
July 21, 2017
Ruvgein

Yes, yes it does. :)

by Sildolok
July 21, 2017
Ruvgein

Yes, yes it does. :)

1  2 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.