Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Usage of "se" vs. "do"

ntoskrnl
November 24, 2017

As I've been learning Dovahzul, I've been trying to read the various word walls and other scripted text around Skyrim in an effort to improve my understanding of the grammar. I've been referring to the UESP pages for the associated text, and I noticed that the Dragonstone's third line reads [ERei SULeyK SE], and lists the translation as "until power of".

My question is this: why is "se" used instead of "do" in the text? I know "se" is used inside of words to join them but is there another scenario where "se" instead of "do" should be used?

(Here's the link to the page: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Dragonstone)

by ntoskrnl
November 24, 2017

As I've been learning Dovahzul, I've been trying to read the various word walls and other scripted text around Skyrim in an effort to improve my understanding of the grammar. I've been referring to the UESP pages for the associated text, and I noticed that the Dragonstone's third line reads [ERei SULeyK SE], and lists the translation as "until power of".

My question is this: why is "se" used instead of "do" in the text? I know "se" is used inside of words to join them but is there another scenario where "se" instead of "do" should be used?

(Here's the link to the page: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Dragonstone)

Liis
Administrator
November 25, 2017
"Se" is strictly used for origin and possession of an object or aspect. Only "Se" can form compounds as an infix.

"Do" can be used for origin and possession like "Se", but it can also denote "consisting of"/"about" such as "Tey do dovah', "Tale of dragons".
by Liis
November 25, 2017
"Se" is strictly used for origin and possession of an object or aspect. Only "Se" can form compounds as an infix.

"Do" can be used for origin and possession like "Se", but it can also denote "consisting of"/"about" such as "Tey do dovah', "Tale of dragons".

Frinmulaar
November 25, 2017

Assuming all relevant data are deliberate decisions by Bethesda instead of oversights, there really is no justification besides "that's how it is": se can occur within a word or as a word of its own, while do can only occur as a word of its own.

by Frinmulaar
November 25, 2017

Assuming all relevant data are deliberate decisions by Bethesda instead of oversights, there really is no justification besides "that's how it is": se can occur within a word or as a word of its own, while do can only occur as a word of its own.

ntoskrnl
November 27, 2017

So it's basically just a matter of what the author wants to write. Alright then, thanks for the explanation!

by ntoskrnl
November 27, 2017

So it's basically just a matter of what the author wants to write. Alright then, thanks for the explanation!

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.