Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Can’t figure out a big step of translation

Austonic
February 4, 2018

I’m familiar with some of how the language works based on some of the first lesson and from the game itself but what I can’t figure out is how they get things like “lu” from the word magic I can change the way it looks like the example “Kate” to “Keyt” then I wanted to translate my own name Austin which means “Magic” “Dignity” “venerable” but I got to translate it and I was wrong they got “lu” from magic where did I go wrong

by Austonic
February 4, 2018

I’m familiar with some of how the language works based on some of the first lesson and from the game itself but what I can’t figure out is how they get things like “lu” from the word magic I can change the way it looks like the example “Kate” to “Keyt” then I wanted to translate my own name Austin which means “Magic” “Dignity” “venerable” but I got to translate it and I was wrong they got “lu” from magic where did I go wrong

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 4, 2018

That exercise in the first lesson creates a lot more confusion that it's worth, so I might consider changing that.

One thing to note is the difference between translation and transliteration. Translation is taking something in one language and expressing it in another. Transliteration is adaptating a name or word from one language into another. That exercise with converting "Kate" to "Keyt" is an exercise in transliteration—there is no dragon language translation for the name "Kate," so we transliterate the name by adapting it to fit the alphabet.

That's why when you look up the word for "magic" and find lu, it has nothing to do with the English word "magic". The dragon language has its own set of words, and there isn't a way to convert an English word into a dragon one. As another example, the word dovah's only similarity to the English word "dragon" is that it starts with "d".

Here are some close, canon translations for the words you are looking to translate:

If you want to make a dragon name based on the meaning of "Austin," then, possibilities would be "Lahzinmul" ("magicka honor strong") or "Krolahzin" ("sorceror magicka honor").

by paarthurnax
February 4, 2018

That exercise in the first lesson creates a lot more confusion that it's worth, so I might consider changing that.

One thing to note is the difference between translation and transliteration. Translation is taking something in one language and expressing it in another. Transliteration is adaptating a name or word from one language into another. That exercise with converting "Kate" to "Keyt" is an exercise in transliteration—there is no dragon language translation for the name "Kate," so we transliterate the name by adapting it to fit the alphabet.

That's why when you look up the word for "magic" and find lu, it has nothing to do with the English word "magic". The dragon language has its own set of words, and there isn't a way to convert an English word into a dragon one. As another example, the word dovah's only similarity to the English word "dragon" is that it starts with "d".

Here are some close, canon translations for the words you are looking to translate:

If you want to make a dragon name based on the meaning of "Austin," then, possibilities would be "Lahzinmul" ("magicka honor strong") or "Krolahzin" ("sorceror magicka honor").

Austonic
February 4, 2018
@paarthurnax thank you so much I loved Skyrim since I got it and when I found this website I was so excited but one last question is there a better way to transliterate names in the future my sister wants to know hers and I’d hate to ask a forum every time I want a name transliterated
by Austonic
February 4, 2018
@paarthurnax thank you so much I loved Skyrim since I got it and when I found this website I was so excited but one last question is there a better way to transliterate names in the future my sister wants to know hers and I’d hate to ask a forum every time I want a name transliterated

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.