Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Words

Fronlaasfrin
April 12, 2018

Ok, so as the thread description says, I have recently seen that multi-syllable words can easily be broken into smaller words. I don't know if this means anything, but I figured I'd share this with the community, because maybe there is some kind of connection with them and it could help in describing things.

The first I noticed was "Monahven", Throat of the World. If you broke this up, it would be "Monah ven", which is "Mother wind".

by Fronlaasfrin
April 12, 2018

Ok, so as the thread description says, I have recently seen that multi-syllable words can easily be broken into smaller words. I don't know if this means anything, but I figured I'd share this with the community, because maybe there is some kind of connection with them and it could help in describing things.

The first I noticed was "Monahven", Throat of the World. If you broke this up, it would be "Monah ven", which is "Mother wind".

Liis
Administrator
April 12, 2018
The "etymology" section of the dictionary entry for the word "Monahven" states it's a "Compound of 'monah', 'mother' and 'ven', 'wind'".
(Link)
by Liis
April 12, 2018
The "etymology" section of the dictionary entry for the word "Monahven" states it's a "Compound of 'monah', 'mother' and 'ven', 'wind'".

(Link)

Fronlaasfrin
April 12, 2018

I was not aware of that...

by Fronlaasfrin
April 12, 2018

I was not aware of that...

Fronlaasfrin
April 13, 2018

New one: Ahkrin- Courage, Bravery

Ah- Hunter

Krin- Courageous

by Fronlaasfrin
April 13, 2018

New one: Ahkrin- Courage, Bravery

Ah- Hunter

Krin- Courageous

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 13, 2018

Good observation! You're absolutely right that a lot of words tend to be made up of smaller words. The dragon language has a lot of compound words. As Liis mentioned, you can check the "etymology" section of the dictionary entries to see what other words they possibly originate from.

One point where you have to be careful is with short, common sounds like "ah". For example, ahraan 'to wound' probably has no relation to ah 'hunter' or raan 'animal'.

by paarthurnax
April 13, 2018

Good observation! You're absolutely right that a lot of words tend to be made up of smaller words. The dragon language has a lot of compound words. As Liis mentioned, you can check the "etymology" section of the dictionary entries to see what other words they possibly originate from.

One point where you have to be careful is with short, common sounds like "ah". For example, ahraan 'to wound' probably has no relation to ah 'hunter' or raan 'animal'.

NikkoSossedov1
June 15, 2018
Each dragon name is a Combination od Dovahzul words. Al-du-in Means Destroyer Devour Master.
by NikkoSossedov1
June 15, 2018
Each dragon name is a Combination od Dovahzul words. Al-du-in Means Destroyer Devour Master.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.