Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

English-Dov Dictionary Of Common Phrase Translations

Zinrahzul
April 25, 2018
In order to accomplish this, I'd like anyone who has the time and patience and fervor to just write down a list of phrases you would like Dovahzul equivalents, or that are coming phrases people ask to be translated.

I'm thinking not single worde, but "survival phrases" that people learning a new language ask about or need to know before understanding how the grammar all fits together.

The purpose behind this is to help new Dovahzul learners speak and write by memory WHILE they're learning the ins and outs of Dovahzul vocabulary and phraseology.
Examples:
"Where do you live?"
"Please help me"
"How are you doing?"
"Can I please use the bathroom?"
etc.

I will open a publicly viewable Google Document so people can get an idea.
by Zinrahzul
April 25, 2018
In order to accomplish this, I'd like anyone who has the time and patience and fervor to just write down a list of phrases you would like Dovahzul equivalents, or that are coming phrases people ask to be translated.

I'm thinking not single worde, but "survival phrases" that people learning a new language ask about or need to know before understanding how the grammar all fits together.

The purpose behind this is to help new Dovahzul learners speak and write by memory WHILE they're learning the ins and outs of Dovahzul vocabulary and phraseology.

Examples:

"Where do you live?"

"Please help me"

"How are you doing?"

"Can I please use the bathroom?"

etc.

I will open a publicly viewable Google Document so people can get an idea.

Ruvgein
April 25, 2018
I'll get back to you this evening with a list.
by Ruvgein
April 25, 2018
I'll get back to you this evening with a list.

Hahdremro
April 26, 2018

This is a good idea! There's one phrase in particular that I remember from Spanish class:

"How do you say _____?" (Could be translated as Mindok hi rot fah ______? meaning "Do you know the word for _____?")

I'll come back with more after I think on it for a bit. I'll do a bit of research if possible to see if I can find any more essential phrases!

by Hahdremro
April 26, 2018

This is a good idea! There's one phrase in particular that I remember from Spanish class:

"How do you say _____?" (Could be translated as Mindok hi rot fah ______? meaning "Do you know the word for _____?")

I'll come back with more after I think on it for a bit. I'll do a bit of research if possible to see if I can find any more essential phrases!

Zinrahzul
April 26, 2018
Thanks for the possible help. Right now I'm using the Question Board and various sites as templates for phrases to translate.
Also, I know I said no single words, but it occurred to me that those are major stumbling points for new learners as well. Therefore, I'd add them in as well.
by Zinrahzul
April 26, 2018
Thanks for the possible help. Right now I'm using the Question Board and various sites as templates for phrases to translate.

Also, I know I said no single words, but it occurred to me that those are major stumbling points for new learners as well. Therefore, I'd add them in as well.

Ruvgein
April 26, 2018
@Zinrahzul

I think single words is best for a separate project. I like this one for the phrase approach, I think broadening the focus would make it harder to accomplish what you've set out to do.
by Ruvgein
April 26, 2018
@Zinrahzul

I think single words is best for a separate project. I like this one for the phrase approach, I think broadening the focus would make it harder to accomplish what you've set out to do.

Zinrahzul
April 26, 2018

Right, let me elaborate. A single word in one language can be translated into a phrase in another language. Also, and for your point, we'll be -using- single words in the phrases anyway.

Therefore, yeah -- let's just stick with the phrase approach, then handle any "single words" that are a part of those phrases.

Thatnks for the input!

by Zinrahzul
April 26, 2018

Right, let me elaborate. A single word in one language can be translated into a phrase in another language. Also, and for your point, we'll be -using- single words in the phrases anyway.

Therefore, yeah -- let's just stick with the phrase approach, then handle any "single words" that are a part of those phrases.

Thatnks for the input!

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 26, 2018

This is great! These could be added to the translator as well.

by paarthurnax
April 26, 2018

This is great! These could be added to the translator as well.

Zinrahzul
May 3, 2018

Here's the link to the doc I'm developing. It's in a simple form, but it gives an idea of the scope!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rV69isL8R2UnGE0eRsxfy-ha0NJHG6n1ccqV4Bc7JjM/edit?usp=sharing Edit: made it so anyone can view, comment

by Zinrahzul
May 3, 2018

Here's the link to the doc I'm developing. It's in a simple form, but it gives an idea of the scope!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rV69isL8R2UnGE0eRsxfy-ha0NJHG6n1ccqV4Bc7JjM/edit?usp=sharing Edit: made it so anyone can view, comment

Zinrahzul
May 5, 2018

This post has been deleted.

by Zinrahzul
May 5, 2018

This post has been deleted.

NikkoSossedov1
June 13, 2018
Drem Yol Lok. A peaceful greeting in Dragon lamguage.
by NikkoSossedov1
June 13, 2018

Hahdremro
June 13, 2018
NikkoSossedov1

This one is already in the Translator, actually, and is one of the few multi-word translations that has its own entry.

by Hahdremro
June 13, 2018
NikkoSossedov1

This one is already in the Translator, actually, and is one of the few multi-word translations that has its own entry.

Zinrahzul
June 13, 2018
Thank you, however, for your input! This reminds me to work a bit more on this.
by Zinrahzul
June 13, 2018
Thank you, however, for your input! This reminds me to work a bit more on this.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.