Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Making this site a PWA

[deleted]
May 27, 2018

Now, I’m not gonna act like I’m a pro at any sort of software development. I hardly know how to code and far from making any complex applications myself. However, I am aware that iOS now supports Progresive Web Applications through the “add to home screen” option. This feature has been around for a while, but only recently have sites been able to control whether or not extra elements such as the address bar and forward / back buttons appear when using that shortcut. I’m thinking that if this website were to support that, it would make the experience a lot better on mobile devices. Again, I’m far from a developer and have hardly any idea how this is done, but I’d like to throw it out there in case anybody else had something to say about it.

EDIT: I asked a friend of mine (who has more experience) about this topic. He said all you need to do is add a meta tag to the website. Screenshot below:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mZbWogHAlOaqA50wvH2XnC2j8ZHCp4gK

by [deleted]
May 27, 2018

Now, I’m not gonna act like I’m a pro at any sort of software development. I hardly know how to code and far from making any complex applications myself. However, I am aware that iOS now supports Progresive Web Applications through the “add to home screen” option. This feature has been around for a while, but only recently have sites been able to control whether or not extra elements such as the address bar and forward / back buttons appear when using that shortcut. I’m thinking that if this website were to support that, it would make the experience a lot better on mobile devices. Again, I’m far from a developer and have hardly any idea how this is done, but I’d like to throw it out there in case anybody else had something to say about it.

EDIT: I asked a friend of mine (who has more experience) about this topic. He said all you need to do is add a meta tag to the website. Screenshot below:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mZbWogHAlOaqA50wvH2XnC2j8ZHCp4gK

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 27, 2018

Hey Nahlot, thanks for posting! I've added that meta tag to the site now so let me know if it makes for a better experience for you.

by paarthurnax
May 27, 2018

Hey Nahlot, thanks for posting! I've added that meta tag to the site now so let me know if it makes for a better experience for you.

[deleted]
May 28, 2018
paarthurnax

Yes, thank you! I am able to see the page as a PWA on my phone. However, upon loading other pages, the web browser will just open itself up again. After a little research, I found out that for websites with more than one page you need a manifest JSON file.

The file really only defines the site as a standalone site and gives it another title, however it also fixes the issue with trying to use more than one page.

I created an example site here if you want to get an idea on what I'm trying to explain.

There's also another line in the HTML that simply gives the shortcut a home screen icon something other than a preview of the website. And while not having to do with the manifest file, it is a nice touch.

EDIT: I put the files for the website into a zip file because Google Drive converts the html to docx, making the example unusable.

by [deleted]
May 28, 2018
paarthurnax

Yes, thank you! I am able to see the page as a PWA on my phone. However, upon loading other pages, the web browser will just open itself up again. After a little research, I found out that for websites with more than one page you need a manifest JSON file.

The file really only defines the site as a standalone site and gives it another title, however it also fixes the issue with trying to use more than one page.

I created an example site here if you want to get an idea on what I'm trying to explain.

There's also another line in the HTML that simply gives the shortcut a home screen icon something other than a preview of the website. And while not having to do with the manifest file, it is a nice touch.

EDIT: I put the files for the website into a zip file because Google Drive converts the html to docx, making the example unusable.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.