Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Dovahzul Dictionary .. Written in Dovahzul

Zinrahzul
November 29, 2018

The idea is primarily an exercise on being able to describe Dovahzul words and concepts not as an English speaker and in English terms, but as a Dovahzul speaker might. For example, the entry for Siigonis would describe it in Dovahzul terms that describe what a lizard would be or look like, or where Argonians came from. There is limited vocabulary, but there ARE words you can use. You also can't describe a word or concept in terms of itself, unless those terms are themselves described in other ways. To this effect, I've taken some of the "S" page of the Dovahzul-English dictionary on the site as an example. I've also taken the liberty of defining nouns, verbs, adjectives, and adverbs and prepositions in my own terms:

kos - noun, dreh - verb, silsekos - adjective, silsedreh - adverb, us-rot - preposition

mul (word of speech) - strong version of that (i.e. strong verb, adj., etc.)

Both the WRITER of the dictionary and the READERS are then able to understand Dovahzul within the context of itself as it is given.

Here are some sample entries:

Sadon
(mul silsekos)
(k) kun ni sot uv ved nuz kotin niin
(dh) wah meyz sadon (naal naan)
(sk) med sadon
(sd) dreh med sadon 

Sadonvum, sadonvum
(mul silsekos)
(k) Onik mun do Alok Hrothgaar
(d) wah meyz do wuth bok, naan med uv meyz do wuth bok
(sk) med Sadonvum
(sd) dreh med Sadonvum

Sah
(mul silsekos)
(k) gaaf, naan koraavaan nuz ni los
(d) meyz sah
(sk) sah, med sah, koraavaan med sah
(sd) drehlaan med sah

Sahlo
(mul silsekos)
(k) sil do vomul
(d) meyz sahlo
(sk) ni mul, voth nid kod, voth nid dun
(sd) dreh voth sahlo, dreh voth nid dun

Sahqo
(mul silsekos)
(k) do fiikaan kun med nahlaas sos, kos do sahqo
(d) wah meyz sahqo
(sk) koraavaan ol sahqo
(sd) drehlaan med sahqo

This is a personal project of mine, but when/if I finish, I will post it somewhere to have it available. I think people can even use it to further their understanding of Dovahzul and how to use it!

by Zinrahzul
November 29, 2018

The idea is primarily an exercise on being able to describe Dovahzul words and concepts not as an English speaker and in English terms, but as a Dovahzul speaker might. For example, the entry for Siigonis would describe it in Dovahzul terms that describe what a lizard would be or look like, or where Argonians came from. There is limited vocabulary, but there ARE words you can use. You also can't describe a word or concept in terms of itself, unless those terms are themselves described in other ways. To this effect, I've taken some of the "S" page of the Dovahzul-English dictionary on the site as an example. I've also taken the liberty of defining nouns, verbs, adjectives, and adverbs and prepositions in my own terms:

kos - noun, dreh - verb, silsekos - adjective, silsedreh - adverb, us-rot - preposition

mul (word of speech) - strong version of that (i.e. strong verb, adj., etc.)

Both the WRITER of the dictionary and the READERS are then able to understand Dovahzul within the context of itself as it is given.

Here are some sample entries:

Sadon
(mul silsekos)
(k) kun ni sot uv ved nuz kotin niin
(dh) wah meyz sadon (naal naan)
(sk) med sadon
(sd) dreh med sadon 

Sadonvum, sadonvum
(mul silsekos)
(k) Onik mun do Alok Hrothgaar
(d) wah meyz do wuth bok, naan med uv meyz do wuth bok
(sk) med Sadonvum
(sd) dreh med Sadonvum

Sah
(mul silsekos)
(k) gaaf, naan koraavaan nuz ni los
(d) meyz sah
(sk) sah, med sah, koraavaan med sah
(sd) drehlaan med sah

Sahlo
(mul silsekos)
(k) sil do vomul
(d) meyz sahlo
(sk) ni mul, voth nid kod, voth nid dun
(sd) dreh voth sahlo, dreh voth nid dun

Sahqo
(mul silsekos)
(k) do fiikaan kun med nahlaas sos, kos do sahqo
(d) wah meyz sahqo
(sk) koraavaan ol sahqo
(sd) drehlaan med sahqo

This is a personal project of mine, but when/if I finish, I will post it somewhere to have it available. I think people can even use it to further their understanding of Dovahzul and how to use it!

Sonaak Kroinlah
November 29, 2018

This is a really cool idea. It's very confusing though. I suspect only fluent speakers could make use of this but that it would indeed enhance understanding. :)

by Sonaak Kroinlah
November 29, 2018

This is a really cool idea. It's very confusing though. I suspect only fluent speakers could make use of this but that it would indeed enhance understanding. :)

Zinrahzul
November 29, 2018
It could be daunting for those who aren't immersed in the language, but can still be a tool, just as an English dictionary is useful for learning new words for an English speaker with limited vocabulary. My goal is to use easy to understand verbiage to help the reader understand.
by Zinrahzul
November 29, 2018
It could be daunting for those who aren't immersed in the language, but can still be a tool, just as an English dictionary is useful for learning new words for an English speaker with limited vocabulary. My goal is to use easy to understand verbiage to help the reader understand.

Zinrahzul
December 26, 2018

Forgot to post my work in progress Google Doc, which shows the "S" page: https://docs.google.com/document/d/18BjfOG_HgP3384LiGOeA5n4l_UR9Fw3FrnpgMUcMjW0/edit?usp=sharing

More updates to gradually come.

by Zinrahzul
December 26, 2018

Forgot to post my work in progress Google Doc, which shows the "S" page: https://docs.google.com/document/d/18BjfOG_HgP3384LiGOeA5n4l_UR9Fw3FrnpgMUcMjW0/edit?usp=sharing

More updates to gradually come.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.