Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thu'um verse for a tattoo

sleepycloud122
October 22, 2019

Hey all I'm new here, I have submitted a question on the board but since I don't want to mess a very meaningful verse to me for a tattoo I'd like some help from the experts in here... 
My idea so far is as: 
Earth and sky, light and dark
A truthful balance 
Peace within your being 
And an eternity of dreams.

Translated with my very newbie skills to Dovahzul: 
Gol Ahrk Lok, Kun Ahrk Vul
Aan Vahzah Ro 
Drem Kosil Hin Su'um 
Aan Ul Do Hahnu 

What do I have to change and how can I convert the alphabet without error?
Thanks in advance!

by sleepycloud122
October 22, 2019

Hey all I'm new here, I have submitted a question on the board but since I don't want to mess a very meaningful verse to me for a tattoo I'd like some help from the experts in here... 
My idea so far is as: 
Earth and sky, light and dark
A truthful balance 
Peace within your being 
And an eternity of dreams.

Translated with my very newbie skills to Dovahzul: 
Aan Vahzah Ro 
Drem Kosil Hin Su'um 
Aan Ul Do Hahnu 

What do I have to change and how can I convert the alphabet without error?
Thanks in advance!

Zinrahzul
October 28, 2019

Well translated! I would like to add that you have some options in phrasing that will allow you to shorten or extend the syllables in each of the lines so that they are of about the same length and flow on the tongue. You also have lines that rhyme, which is nice if that's what you wanted!

- "Peace within your being" would just be "Drem kosil" because "peace within" and "peace within your being" are essentially the same thing with just different number of words.

-"Aan" isn't necessary to have to get the meaning.

-"Vahzah" means "truly", so "vahzah ro" conveys "something is truly a balance", not that the balance itself is truthful. Use "vahzen" (truth)

- If you want to preserve the rhyming, I'd recommend replacing the "drem..." line (see below)

My suggestion:

Vahzen Ro, Drem Tu'um
Ahrk aan ul Do Hahnu

(Translation)

Earth and Sky, Light and Dark

Truth Balance, Peace within

And an eternity of dreams

- I use "aan ul" just for emphasis and to balance the syllables

- To convert to the alphabet, use this site's tool for this. Look for "Transcriber" under the "Language" menu of the site.

by Zinrahzul
October 28, 2019

Well translated! I would like to add that you have some options in phrasing that will allow you to shorten or extend the syllables in each of the lines so that they are of about the same length and flow on the tongue. You also have lines that rhyme, which is nice if that's what you wanted!

- "Peace within your being" would just be "Drem kosil" because "peace within" and "peace within your being" are essentially the same thing with just different number of words.

-"Aan" isn't necessary to have to get the meaning.

-"Vahzah" means "truly", so "vahzah ro" conveys "something is truly a balance", not that the balance itself is truthful. Use "vahzen" (truth)

- If you want to preserve the rhyming, I'd recommend replacing the "drem..." line (see below)

My suggestion:

Vahzen Ro, Drem Tu'um
Ahrk aan ul Do Hahnu

(Translation)

Earth and Sky, Light and Dark

Truth Balance, Peace within

And an eternity of dreams

- I use "aan ul" just for emphasis and to balance the syllables

- To convert to the alphabet, use this site's tool for this. Look for "Transcriber" under the "Language" menu of the site.

sleepycloud122
October 29, 2019

Oh wow thank you so much! I feel like the verse is complete. Onto getting it tatted along with a Dovah now! 

by sleepycloud122
October 29, 2019

Oh wow thank you so much! I feel like the verse is complete. Onto getting it tatted along with a Dovah now! 

Zinrahzul
October 29, 2019

Nice! If you remember, try to post the pic afterward!

by Zinrahzul
October 29, 2019

Nice! If you remember, try to post the pic afterward!

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.