Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Tips on learning the runes?

Qethdwiinjun
January 15, 2020
might not be the right placs, let me know if theres somewhere better to ask this

I generally find learning new writing systems pretty easy. I've taught myself a fair few. But for some reason, dovahzul runes are giving me some serious trouble. Any tips on learning them from folks who are better with it then I am?
by Qethdwiinjun
January 15, 2020
might not be the right placs, let me know if theres somewhere better to ask this

I generally find learning new writing systems pretty easy. I've taught myself a fair few. But for some reason, dovahzul runes are giving me some serious trouble. Any tips on learning them from folks who are better with it then I am?

Sonaak Kroinlah
January 17, 2020

I've written a guide here: https://www.thuum.org/viewthread.php?thread=1870

But you say you've learnt new systems before. If you could tell me what systems you learned previously (and how)  I might be better able to help. (I myself have learned many)

by Sonaak Kroinlah
January 17, 2020

I've written a guide here: https://www.thuum.org/viewthread.php?thread=1870

But you say you've learnt new systems before. If you could tell me what systems you learned previously (and how)  I might be better able to help. (I myself have learned many)

Qethdwiinjun
January 22, 2020
@Sonaak Kroinlah I taught myself cyrillic, which was later reinforced when I began learning russian, and learned Elder Futhark just for fun. I've been learning Hangul, the korean alphabet, through online guides.

I feel I should be able to learn Dovahzul runes easier, and yet I struggle more than I thought. Maybe it's just the shape of the runes that contributes to a mental "weirdness"? or maybe I just haven't given the proper amount of time to learning yet
by Qethdwiinjun
January 22, 2020
@Sonaak Kroinlah I taught myself cyrillic, which was later reinforced when I began learning russian, and learned Elder Futhark just for fun. I've been learning Hangul, the korean alphabet, through online guides.

I feel I should be able to learn Dovahzul runes easier, and yet I struggle more than I thought. Maybe it's just the shape of the runes that contributes to a mental "weirdness"? or maybe I just haven't given the proper amount of time to learning yet

Sonaak Kroinlah
January 23, 2020

I can't think of any reason why it should be different.. how long have you been practicing? It can take a week or more to get it. I can only suggest replicating the learning methods you used in the past or checking the link and seeing if that method helps. Or maybe try mnemonics or flashcards?

by Sonaak Kroinlah
January 23, 2020

I can't think of any reason why it should be different.. how long have you been practicing? It can take a week or more to get it. I can only suggest replicating the learning methods you used in the past or checking the link and seeing if that method helps. Or maybe try mnemonics or flashcards?

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.