Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Why can't I find these words in the Dovahtinvaak translator?

LiterallySome
February 14, 2020

I'm trying to convert English to Dovahtinvaak, but these words won't translate "walk," "near," and "hello/greetings."  Please aak.  Kogaan!

by LiterallySome
February 14, 2020

I'm trying to convert English to Dovahtinvaak, but these words won't translate "walk," "near," and "hello/greetings."  Please aak.  Kogaan!

Zinrahzul
February 15, 2020

The Translator does a word-for-word search without translating the sentence structure into Dovahzul; Dovahzul also doesn't have a direct translation for the words you put in. However, there are close approximates you can use which you'd only know by studying the current vocabulary and grammar usages: "bo" (fly, go) for walk, "vogut" (un-far; there is precedence for using "un-" as there are in-game Dovahzul examples like vosaraan for un-wait -- hurry). 

"Hello/Greetings" would depend on who is greeting whom. As in the Skyrim game, Paarthurnax uses "Drem Yol Lok" (literally "Peace Fire Sky") which means "As a dragon, I temporarily won't be hostile so we can talk in words without battling". For humans, though, you can use "Pruzah grind" (good meet) for meeting others. It would be an equivalent to "Well-come" or "Well-met" in a Medieval or Modern-style greeting.

Take a look at Odahviing's dialog for an example of something close to this: "Zok frini grind ko grah drun viiki, Dovahkiin." (Most my-eagerness to-meet in battle brings my-defeat)

by Zinrahzul
February 15, 2020

The Translator does a word-for-word search without translating the sentence structure into Dovahzul; Dovahzul also doesn't have a direct translation for the words you put in. However, there are close approximates you can use which you'd only know by studying the current vocabulary and grammar usages: "bo" (fly, go) for walk, "vogut" (un-far; there is precedence for using "un-" as there are in-game Dovahzul examples like vosaraan for un-wait -- hurry). 

"Hello/Greetings" would depend on who is greeting whom. As in the Skyrim game, Paarthurnax uses "Drem Yol Lok" (literally "Peace Fire Sky") which means "As a dragon, I temporarily won't be hostile so we can talk in words without battling". For humans, though, you can use "Pruzah grind" (good meet) for meeting others. It would be an equivalent to "Well-come" or "Well-met" in a Medieval or Modern-style greeting.

Take a look at Odahviing's dialog for an example of something close to this: "Zok frini grind ko grah drun viiki, Dovahkiin." (Most my-eagerness to-meet in battle brings my-defeat)

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.