Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

New Translator

Malkaaz
March 11, 2020

I've began making a new Dovahzul translator, much like the legacy translator. I am trying to improve it in minor ways, for example: when a Dovah word is translated into English, it will translate to "a" or "an" based on if the English word begins with a vowel or not (only if "aan" comes before the word). I am making other small adjustments like that, to hopefully improve people's expierience with the language. It is, however, only for canon words. I don't exactly want to add an extra few thousand words, so I'm gonna stick with canon. I am testing here. I will post updates and change stuff based on feedback.

Thanks, Malkaaz

by Malkaaz
March 11, 2020

I've began making a new Dovahzul translator, much like the legacy translator. I am trying to improve it in minor ways, for example: when a Dovah word is translated into English, it will translate to "a" or "an" based on if the English word begins with a vowel or not (only if "aan" comes before the word). I am making other small adjustments like that, to hopefully improve people's expierience with the language. It is, however, only for canon words. I don't exactly want to add an extra few thousand words, so I'm gonna stick with canon. I am testing here. I will post updates and change stuff based on feedback.

Thanks, Malkaaz

Zinrahzul
March 11, 2020

(Note: Your GITHUB link doesn't work)

I'd be interested to see how your project goes. Here is my initial feedback:

* How are you going about translating? Are you thinking about this project as a director English-Dovahzul word-for-word translation ("English word -> (some single Dovahzul word)"), or will you map multiple Dovahzul words to an English word ("English word" -> (Dovahzul words that map to the English word), and vice versa? I ask, because people will not find the Dovahzul words they're looking for by just entering English words. That's because there are so few English words that directly translate into one Dovahzul. The Legacy Translator had way more words than canon, and could pull it off.

* How will you handle the lack of many common words that your users will be looking for, and who won't find word-for-word Dovahzul equivalents? For example, "goodbye", "hello", "what", "where".

* How will you handle the fact that Official sources don't list parts of speech for the words? How will you translate "I want to make a request"?, when want and request are both possible translations for canon Dovahzul (laan). Also, there's no word for "make" -- only build (wahl) or create (zorox). Will it output something like "Zu'u laan wah ___ aan laan"? How will you handle the lack of direct word for "make"? Will you just map it to build or create in your data structure?

by Zinrahzul
March 11, 2020

* How are you going about translating? Are you thinking about this project as a director English-Dovahzul word-for-word translation ("English word -> (some single Dovahzul word)"), or will you map multiple Dovahzul words to an English word ("English word" -> (Dovahzul words that map to the English word), and vice versa? I ask, because people will not find the Dovahzul words they're looking for by just entering English words. That's because there are so few English words that directly translate into one Dovahzul. The Legacy Translator had way more words than canon, and could pull it off.

* How will you handle the lack of many common words that your users will be looking for, and who won't find word-for-word Dovahzul equivalents? For example, "goodbye", "hello", "what", "where".

* How will you handle the fact that Official sources don't list parts of speech for the words? How will you translate "I want to make a request"?, when want and request are both possible translations for canon Dovahzul (laan). Also, there's no word for "make" -- only build (wahl) or create (zorox). Will it output something like "Zu'u laan wah ___ aan laan"? How will you handle the lack of direct word for "make"? Will you just map it to build or create in your data structure?

Malkaaz
March 11, 2020
Zinrahzul

Sorry about the link, it should be fixed now.

You have a point, I don't quite know how I'll account for all of those issues. I was thinking of trying something pretty complicated, like having it recognize common speech patterns, but I think that's too much. I think I will have it be a simple version of what I just explained, and if that doesn't work, I may have a drop-down option for words that they might want the word to translate that to, if that makes any sense. I want to eradicate most stuff that makes this act like the legacy translator, so I'm trying my best not to make words like "wahlaan" only ever translate to "build". Thank you for the feedback, I'll see what I can do.

by Malkaaz
March 11, 2020
Zinrahzul

Sorry about the link, it should be fixed now.

You have a point, I don't quite know how I'll account for all of those issues. I was thinking of trying something pretty complicated, like having it recognize common speech patterns, but I think that's too much. I think I will have it be a simple version of what I just explained, and if that doesn't work, I may have a drop-down option for words that they might want the word to translate that to, if that makes any sense. I want to eradicate most stuff that makes this act like the legacy translator, so I'm trying my best not to make words like "wahlaan" only ever translate to "build". Thank you for the feedback, I'll see what I can do.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.