Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Dovazhul Riddle

imshiimshi
April 8, 2020

Hello all, I'm trying to solve this riddle.  From what I can tell, the literal translation would be:  "for dragons might reside within", but that feels...off.  I believe it must translate as a part of a famous quote, but can't seem to put it together.  The goal is to find and say the first line in a room to solve the riddle.  Would really appreciate any help!

Standing fifteen feet into the air, and taking up a good portion of the room, this obelisk looks as though it was carved from the very rock it sits on. It glows dimly, with a gentle pulse, but makes no sound. Though appearing fragile time has not faded its brilliance. On its base, the following is written:

(the first line has been faded with time)

fah  dovahro  uld  kolahn  kosil

by imshiimshi
April 8, 2020

Hello all, I'm trying to solve this riddle.  From what I can tell, the literal translation would be:  "for dragons might reside within", but that feels...off.  I believe it must translate as a part of a famous quote, but can't seem to put it together.  The goal is to find and say the first line in a room to solve the riddle.  Would really appreciate any help!

Standing fifteen feet into the air, and taking up a good portion of the room, this obelisk looks as though it was carved from the very rock it sits on. It glows dimly, with a gentle pulse, but makes no sound. Though appearing fragile time has not faded its brilliance. On its base, the following is written:

(the first line has been faded with time)

fah  dovahro  uld  kolahn  kosil

Liis
Administrator
April 8, 2020
Your takeaway is correct, but the line features non-official, fan-made, poorly chosen words: uld (might) and kolahn (reside), whereby kolahn is a compound and clipping of ko (in) + lahney (live). The word kosil is an official compound of ko (in) + sil (soul), which only pertains to the concept "within the mind/soul", and is nonphysical, as it is misused in the quote. This means that the quote also redundantly uses the stem ko twice in the same verbal phrase: kolahn kosil.
by Liis
April 8, 2020
Your takeaway is correct, but the line features non-official, fan-made, poorly chosen words: uld (might) and kolahn (reside), whereby kolahn is a compound and clipping of ko (in) + lahney (live). The word kosil is an official compound of ko (in) + sil (soul), which only pertains to the concept "within the mind/soul", and is nonphysical, as it is misused in the quote. This means that the quote also redundantly uses the stem ko twice in the same verbal phrase: kolahn kosil.

imshiimshi
April 8, 2020
Liis

100% agreed that this is probably not the ideal way to have written the statement.  My hope is that my interpretation is missing something of the intent so we can try and come up with the first sentence.  That only works if the second line is some recognizable quote or other, such as "here, there be dragons" or something I can work with.  Hopefully that makes sense.  To give you some additional context, this is for an old text based game and if you say the right phrase "the first line that's missing", it'll free a dragon.  They give you the second phrase, which was obviously Dovahzul, and you have to guess the first portion.  I've been stuck on this for a while and wanted to open it up to smarter folks!  Any help at all is much appreciated.

by imshiimshi
April 8, 2020
Liis

100% agreed that this is probably not the ideal way to have written the statement.  My hope is that my interpretation is missing something of the intent so we can try and come up with the first sentence.  That only works if the second line is some recognizable quote or other, such as "here, there be dragons" or something I can work with.  Hopefully that makes sense.  To give you some additional context, this is for an old text based game and if you say the right phrase "the first line that's missing", it'll free a dragon.  They give you the second phrase, which was obviously Dovahzul, and you have to guess the first portion.  I've been stuck on this for a while and wanted to open it up to smarter folks!  Any help at all is much appreciated.

imshiimshi
April 16, 2020
imshiimshi

I may have also misinterpreted the line.  That should be Dragon's as opposed to dragons, and inner spirit vs within.  Anyone have thoughts on how to best interpret that line?

by imshiimshi
April 16, 2020
imshiimshi

I may have also misinterpreted the line.  That should be Dragon's as opposed to dragons, and inner spirit vs within.  Anyone have thoughts on how to best interpret that line?

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.