Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Updated Dovahzul Font

JaonHax
December 16, 2020

So basically, I went and downloaded the font for myself, and noticed that the compound letters weren't mapped out very well. Namely, they were mapped to 1-9. That's not exactly conducive to coming up with a number system later.

Because of this, I've begun work on updating the font so the compound characters are mapped as ligatures and the other characters are all clear, etc. For those who don't know what a ligature is, it's a font term referring to a character that results from combining two or more other characters. A prime example of this in Dovahzul is aa vs. [aa]. Obviously, the latter is correct; however, the former is what the font types out. With ligatures, typing "aa" would result in [aa] rather than the incorrect aa. Obviously, this makes it far more easy to type, which is why I decided to begin updating the font.

Basically, what I'm saying is this: If there's anything I need to make sure of when editing the font (like making sure certain characters aren't changed for compatibility reasons, etc.), or any other features that would be convenient (alternate characters to make it look more handwritten, maybe?), just let me know and I'll do my best to keep it in mind.

Also, if anybody important actually notices this, how would I go about submitting this as a replacement for the current font once it's complete? I'd like to make this an official thing so as many people get some use out of it as possible.

by JaonHax
December 16, 2020

So basically, I went and downloaded the font for myself, and noticed that the compound letters weren't mapped out very well. Namely, they were mapped to 1-9. That's not exactly conducive to coming up with a number system later.

Because of this, I've begun work on updating the font so the compound characters are mapped as ligatures and the other characters are all clear, etc. For those who don't know what a ligature is, it's a font term referring to a character that results from combining two or more other characters. A prime example of this in Dovahzul is aa vs. [aa]. Obviously, the latter is correct; however, the former is what the font types out. With ligatures, typing "aa" would result in [aa] rather than the incorrect aa. Obviously, this makes it far more easy to type, which is why I decided to begin updating the font.

Basically, what I'm saying is this: If there's anything I need to make sure of when editing the font (like making sure certain characters aren't changed for compatibility reasons, etc.), or any other features that would be convenient (alternate characters to make it look more handwritten, maybe?), just let me know and I'll do my best to keep it in mind.

Also, if anybody important actually notices this, how would I go about submitting this as a replacement for the current font once it's complete? I'd like to make this an official thing so as many people get some use out of it as possible.

JaonHax
December 22, 2020

I've now gone and made a demonstration .ttf file people can use for testing this thing out in its current state. I've uploaded it to my website at https://jaonhax.github.io/assets/fonts/Dovahzul.ttf. Feel free to download it and check it out! It's only ~37kB after all (only just under 3x the original font's size, which might I say, I was somewhat surprised by)!

You can also use it as a webfont by putting

<link rel="stylesheet" href="//jaonhax.github.io/assets/fonts/dovahzul.css">

in your webpage's <head> tag.

I'm just going to research what all I can do to it to make it even better now, but if anyone has anything they'd like to suggest I add (or if anyone has problems with the font), let me know here! If this place isn't dead, that is.

by JaonHax
December 22, 2020

I've now gone and made a demonstration .ttf file people can use for testing this thing out in its current state. I've uploaded it to my website at https://jaonhax.github.io/assets/fonts/Dovahzul.ttf. Feel free to download it and check it out! It's only ~37kB after all (only just under 3x the original font's size, which might I say, I was somewhat surprised by)!

You can also use it as a webfont by putting

<link rel="stylesheet" href="//jaonhax.github.io/assets/fonts/dovahzul.css">

in your webpage's <head> tag.

I'm just going to research what all I can do to it to make it even better now, but if anyone has anything they'd like to suggest I add (or if anyone has problems with the font), let me know here! If this place isn't dead, that is.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.