Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

New official words?

Ilana
November 13, 2021

Hi everyone,

today I found this entry on reddit from 11. November 2021

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslore/comments/qrtriy/official_dragon_dictionary/

where the "Imperial Library" (another website for Elder Scrolls languages) claims to have received an official dictionary by Bethesda containing new, never before known words.

Just wanted to inform you about this and ask if you think it's authentic.

by Ilana
November 13, 2021

Hi everyone,

today I found this entry on reddit from 11. November 2021

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslore/comments/qrtriy/official_dragon_dictionary/

where the "Imperial Library" (another website for Elder Scrolls languages) claims to have received an official dictionary by Bethesda containing new, never before known words.

Just wanted to inform you about this and ask if you think it's authentic.

Mirkrahven
November 13, 2021

Thank you for letting us know Ilana! (Ich bin echt schon gespannt auf deine Geschichte XD )

I went through the Imperial Library’s list and looked for all the new words. I left out the words from ESO because we already know them.

fahlah [F4l4]— (n.) flower.
Source: Official Translation

laar [l1r] — (n.) water

naaktiid [n1kt#d] — (v.) begin. (lit. "eat time)

naas [n1s]— (n.) tooth.

raal [r1l]— (v.) survive, last.

ros [ros]— (v.) love.

um [um]— (n.) twin.

unraak [unr1k]— (n., v.) marriage, marry, married.

vindahlheim [vind4lh2m]— (adjv) forever.

vos  [vos]— (n.) claw.

Now we can translate a few more names. Although ... the word fah is not very common in a dragon name... or am I wrong?

Nahfahlaar -  fury for water

Naaslaarum – tooth water twin

Voslaarum – claw water twin

Here are a few words I'm not sure whether or not to be considered new, as Lady N has some flaws on her list too.

pelaan — (v.) wrote.

not really a new word to us, pel with the suffix -aan ..but isn't that used for past participle?

qalos — (v.) bow

we know “bow” as “qiilaan”

sadon — (v.) lose.

We know “lose” as “saan”

Sadon = Grey - in PrismaGames.com list and POGGLE

sovrahzun — (n.) purchase.

In the Prisma Official Game Guide Legendary Edition (POGGLE) it is stated as “Mercenary”

Words like “love” and “marriage” were clearly invented for the wedding cake story. Now that the words are obviously officially in the list, the most frequently asked question will now be answered. Even if it's not very Dovah-like, if you ask me.

If you don't know the anecdote how Emil Pagliarulo (creator of the dragon language) created the word "love" for wedding greetings, here is an excerpt:

That hard work, passion and, interestingly, sheer love isn’t lost on its players, either. Pagliarulo recalls a story where he learned a couple was planning a Skyrim-themed wedding and Bethesda Games Studios wanted to wish the soon-to-be-weds well with a custom wedding cake. There was just one problem: what to write on the cake?

“You can’t really write a phrase on a wedding cake without including the word ‘love,’ right? Well, just like with Klingon, the Dragon language didn’t have a word for love!” Pagliarulo laughs. “So I had to create one.” That word is "Ros” (like rose) and the entire phrase Pagliarulo created was "may your love last forever.”

If I have made any mistakes, please correct me. I’m quite new here and anything but a pro. ^^;

I would love to hear your opinion about this, too. Do you think it’s authentic?

by Mirkrahven
November 13, 2021

Thank you for letting us know Ilana! (Ich bin echt schon gespannt auf deine Geschichte XD )

I went through the Imperial Library’s list and looked for all the new words. I left out the words from ESO because we already know them.

fahlah [F4l4]— (n.) flower.

laar [l1r] — (n.) water

naaktiid [n1kt#d] — (v.) begin. (lit. "eat time)

naas [n1s]— (n.) tooth.

raal [r1l]— (v.) survive, last.

ros [ros]— (v.) love.

um [um]— (n.) twin.

unraak [unr1k]— (n., v.) marriage, marry, married.

vindahlheim [vind4lh2m]— (adjv) forever.

vos  [vos]— (n.) claw.

Now we can translate a few more names. Although ... the word fah is not very common in a dragon name... or am I wrong?

Nahfahlaar -  fury for water

Naaslaarum – tooth water twin

Voslaarum – claw water twin

Here are a few words I'm not sure whether or not to be considered new, as Lady N has some flaws on her list too.

pelaan — (v.) wrote.

not really a new word to us, pel with the suffix -aan ..but isn't that used for past participle?

qalos — (v.) bow

we know “bow” as “qiilaan”

sadon — (v.) lose.

We know “lose” as “saan”

Sadon = Grey - in PrismaGames.com list and POGGLE

sovrahzun — (n.) purchase.

In the Prisma Official Game Guide Legendary Edition (POGGLE) it is stated as “Mercenary”

Words like “love” and “marriage” were clearly invented for the wedding cake story. Now that the words are obviously officially in the list, the most frequently asked question will now be answered. Even if it's not very Dovah-like, if you ask me.

If you don't know the anecdote how Emil Pagliarulo (creator of the dragon language) created the word "love" for wedding greetings, here is an excerpt:

That hard work, passion and, interestingly, sheer love isn’t lost on its players, either. Pagliarulo recalls a story where he learned a couple was planning a Skyrim-themed wedding and Bethesda Games Studios wanted to wish the soon-to-be-weds well with a custom wedding cake. There was just one problem: what to write on the cake?

“You can’t really write a phrase on a wedding cake without including the word ‘love,’ right? Well, just like with Klingon, the Dragon language didn’t have a word for love!” Pagliarulo laughs. “So I had to create one.” That word is "Ros” (like rose) and the entire phrase Pagliarulo created was "may your love last forever.”

If I have made any mistakes, please correct me. I’m quite new here and anything but a pro. ^^;

I would love to hear your opinion about this, too. Do you think it’s authentic?

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.