Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

The Modern Words Factory

1  2 > >>  

Drakpa
January 12, 2014

As this thread was going off-topic (noticed by Julseonikaan), I'm creating this one.

I'm doing some lists here in this first post of what has been said, and I'll try to keep it updated as well as this thread will be going.

RULES FOR THE ACCEPTANCE OF A NEW WORD

• When proposing a word, please indicate how you created it (it will be written in the dictionary)
  • This new word will be placed in the list "Words to be discussed". If someone propose a correction or another word for he same English word, the propositions will go to the same list untill at least two members accept one of the propositions.
  • If a word have the approval of at least two members, it will be moved to the list "Words likely to be accepted". It still can be discussed, but if after one week it hasn't been discussed, it will be then definitively be accepted and moved to the list "Words awaiting their addition to the dictionary".
  • If a word hasn't been discussed in three week, it will be moved to the list "Words likely to be accepted" (and then, it's path will follow the previous example).
  • If an English word has two propositions, but none of them have the two agreements needed, it will be moved to the list "Words awaiting agreement", and they will stay there as long as there aren't the necessary agreements.

The dates corresponding to the words are the dates of their moving to another list or their creation (if they're in the if the first list), so, you can verify by yourself if a word can change of list.

Several methods has been mentionned, such as:
-The assiciation of ideas (see: computer,...)
-The ethymology of words: some componed words from Latin or Greek we can literally translate (be also inspired from other languages' words) (see: telephone,...)
-Mixing nordic modern words such as Finnish, Swedish, Norwish, Danish and Old English (see: America,...)

Tips about creating words:
-Don't hestate to use prefixes and suffixes
-Try to make it the sortest you can (example with "plane" which still might be too long)
-Make it sound like only one word (example with "computer", "lorotdwiin" may sound like two words while "lorotsedwiin" not).
-And very important, verify it doesn't already exist (I did the mistake with "electricity").

Words to be discussed:

-
-

Words likely to be accepted:

​-USA: Amerikanen Gegeinaan Zensekosse (litterally "American United States") (by Drak-pa) (February 4th, 2014)
-carriage: vaagn (mix between "vogn" (Norwish) and "vagn" (Swedish)) (by Drak-pa) (February 4th, 2014)

Words awaiting thier addition to the dictionary:

-America: Amerikan (from "Amerikan" (Finnish)) (by Drak-pa) (January 30th, 2014)
-France: Franskrig (mix between "Frankrig" (Danish), "Ranska" (Finnish) and "Frankrike" (Swedish)) (by Drak-pa) (January 30th, 2014)
-plane: loksovaar (from "aeroplane", "aero" meaning "sky" and "plane" meaning "a spatial direction or position") (by Julseonikaan) (January 30th, 2014)

Words awaiting agreement:

-car:     -meyervaagn (from the French word "car" (actually meaning "bus", being a contraction of "autocar", "car" might comes from "cariolle" ("carriage"), which could be translated as "vaagn"; "auto" means "self", being translated as "meyer" in Dovahzul) (by Drak-pa) (January 11th, 2014)
            -meyerbotaas (from "automobile", interpreted as "self moving") (by Julseonikaan) (January 10th, 2014)
-

THE DICTIONARY

by Drakpa
January 12, 2014

As this thread was going off-topic (noticed by Julseonikaan), I'm creating this one.

I'm doing some lists here in this first post of what has been said, and I'll try to keep it updated as well as this thread will be going.

RULES FOR THE ACCEPTANCE OF A NEW WORD

• When proposing a word, please indicate how you created it (it will be written in the dictionary)
  • This new word will be placed in the list "Words to be discussed". If someone propose a correction or another word for he same English word, the propositions will go to the same list untill at least two members accept one of the propositions.
  • If a word have the approval of at least two members, it will be moved to the list "Words likely to be accepted". It still can be discussed, but if after one week it hasn't been discussed, it will be then definitively be accepted and moved to the list "Words awaiting their addition to the dictionary".
  • If a word hasn't been discussed in three week, it will be moved to the list "Words likely to be accepted" (and then, it's path will follow the previous example).
  • If an English word has two propositions, but none of them have the two agreements needed, it will be moved to the list "Words awaiting agreement", and they will stay there as long as there aren't the necessary agreements.

The dates corresponding to the words are the dates of their moving to another list or their creation (if they're in the if the first list), so, you can verify by yourself if a word can change of list.

Several methods has been mentionned, such as:
-The assiciation of ideas (see: computer,...)
-The ethymology of words: some componed words from Latin or Greek we can literally translate (be also inspired from other languages' words) (see: telephone,...)
-Mixing nordic modern words such as Finnish, Swedish, Norwish, Danish and Old English (see: America,...)

Tips about creating words:
-Don't hestate to use prefixes and suffixes
-Try to make it the sortest you can (example with "plane" which still might be too long)
-Make it sound like only one word (example with "computer", "lorotdwiin" may sound like two words while "lorotsedwiin" not).
-And very important, verify it doesn't already exist (I did the mistake with "electricity").

Words to be discussed:

-
-

Words likely to be accepted:

​-USA: Amerikanen Gegeinaan Zensekosse (litterally "American United States") (by Drak-pa) (February 4th, 2014)
-carriage: vaagn (mix between "vogn" (Norwish) and "vagn" (Swedish)) (by Drak-pa) (February 4th, 2014)

Words awaiting thier addition to the dictionary:

-America: Amerikan (from "Amerikan" (Finnish)) (by Drak-pa) (January 30th, 2014)
-France: Franskrig (mix between "Frankrig" (Danish), "Ranska" (Finnish) and "Frankrike" (Swedish)) (by Drak-pa) (January 30th, 2014)
-plane: loksovaar (from "aeroplane", "aero" meaning "sky" and "plane" meaning "a spatial direction or position") (by Julseonikaan) (January 30th, 2014)

Words awaiting agreement:

-car:     -meyervaagn (from the French word "car" (actually meaning "bus", being a contraction of "autocar", "car" might comes from "cariolle" ("carriage"), which could be translated as "vaagn"; "auto" means "self", being translated as "meyer" in Dovahzul) (by Drak-pa) (January 11th, 2014)
            -meyerbotaas (from "automobile", interpreted as "self moving") (by Julseonikaan) (January 10th, 2014)
-

THE DICTIONARY

Julseonikaan
January 13, 2014

Nice setup for this thread, Drakpa! Even if the other posts don't get moved to this thread, you've certainly given the main ideas of everything from the other thread. I really appreciate you starting this new thread, because I'm already neck deep in homework and I'm getting busier by the day. The title is lovely as well.

Now, onto the business at hand. The word for airplane seemed a little long to me, so I set about looking up the origins of the word. The word airplane seems to be a corruption of the English aeroplane. Apparently the Americans did this during the American Revolution with hopes to put distance between their dialect and Standard English. I can't find any evidence for or against this theory, other than this website. If this theory is correct, then the word aeroplane can be separated into two words. This gives us the words "aero" and "plane," with "aero" meaning "skies" and "plane" meaning "a spatial direction or position." This would make the word for aeroplane "loksesovaar" or "loksovaar." Loksovaar sounds much better than loksesovaar, at least to my ear, and according to Learning Dovahzul "se" should be used in compound words showing possession, so I would put my vote for loksovaar.

On another note, are you submitting these words, Drakpa? If not, we should probably do that.

If anyone has a word that they cannot currently find in the Dovahzul dictionary, especially if it's a word that is newer and most likely wouldn't have existed in the time of Skyrim, go ahead and post it here and someone will do their best to try to find the origins of the word and create a new word in Dovahzul.

If anyone has thoughts on the words that have been created, please let us know. Likewise, if anyone is uncomfortable with the creation of words that wouldn't have existed within the world of Skyrim, please post as well!

by Julseonikaan
January 13, 2014

Nice setup for this thread, Drakpa! Even if the other posts don't get moved to this thread, you've certainly given the main ideas of everything from the other thread. I really appreciate you starting this new thread, because I'm already neck deep in homework and I'm getting busier by the day. The title is lovely as well.

Now, onto the business at hand. The word for airplane seemed a little long to me, so I set about looking up the origins of the word. The word airplane seems to be a corruption of the English aeroplane. Apparently the Americans did this during the American Revolution with hopes to put distance between their dialect and Standard English. I can't find any evidence for or against this theory, other than this website. If this theory is correct, then the word aeroplane can be separated into two words. This gives us the words "aero" and "plane," with "aero" meaning "skies" and "plane" meaning "a spatial direction or position." This would make the word for aeroplane "loksesovaar" or "loksovaar." Loksovaar sounds much better than loksesovaar, at least to my ear, and according to Learning Dovahzul "se" should be used in compound words showing possession, so I would put my vote for loksovaar.

On another note, are you submitting these words, Drakpa? If not, we should probably do that.

If anyone has a word that they cannot currently find in the Dovahzul dictionary, especially if it's a word that is newer and most likely wouldn't have existed in the time of Skyrim, go ahead and post it here and someone will do their best to try to find the origins of the word and create a new word in Dovahzul.

If anyone has thoughts on the words that have been created, please let us know. Likewise, if anyone is uncomfortable with the creation of words that wouldn't have existed within the world of Skyrim, please post as well!

Drakpa
January 14, 2014
Julseonikaan

Thanks o/ I like when threads are well organized ^^ (I'm a bit used with another forum)

Well, your proposition seems to be good for "plane". I didn't think about using "aeroplane". I'll add it in the list, and I think you could submit it.

Julseonikaan

No, I'm not, because you did it yourself, you proposed a words for "plane" that seems to be better than the one I put in the list. Actually, I thought this list could be a list of words to be discussed about, and we could make another one of accepted words to show that this thread is useful (and to be sure not to create another word for an already existing one).

EDIT: I added this new list with your word,  if you want to submit it. (I'm adding the name of the person who proposed each word)

by Drakpa
January 14, 2014
Julseonikaan

Thanks o/ I like when threads are well organized ^^ (I'm a bit used with another forum)

Well, your proposition seems to be good for "plane". I didn't think about using "aeroplane". I'll add it in the list, and I think you could submit it.

Julseonikaan

No, I'm not, because you did it yourself, you proposed a words for "plane" that seems to be better than the one I put in the list. Actually, I thought this list could be a list of words to be discussed about, and we could make another one of accepted words to show that this thread is useful (and to be sure not to create another word for an already existing one).

EDIT: I added this new list with your word,  if you want to submit it. (I'm adding the name of the person who proposed each word)

Julseonikaan
January 14, 2014

Yeah, I think the idea of making this thread a discussion thread is probably smart so we can get some consensus on words before we formally submit them. The list of accepted words is a smart idea, too. Duplicating a word would be frustrating and could land us in an interesting situation when actually using the language. I was also wondering if you had submitted any of the words you created, because I figured you wouldn't submit the words that I had worked on. It seems you haven't submitted any of yours, and I don't believe I will either so we can see if there's any discussion on the words.

Do you have any thoughts on how long we should wait before we submit them?

by Julseonikaan
January 14, 2014

Yeah, I think the idea of making this thread a discussion thread is probably smart so we can get some consensus on words before we formally submit them. The list of accepted words is a smart idea, too. Duplicating a word would be frustrating and could land us in an interesting situation when actually using the language. I was also wondering if you had submitted any of the words you created, because I figured you wouldn't submit the words that I had worked on. It seems you haven't submitted any of yours, and I don't believe I will either so we can see if there's any discussion on the words.

Drakpa
January 15, 2014
Julseonikaan

Well, I think the word has to be approved by at least two persons on this thread (knowing that it will then submitted to a moderator, like being a sort of ultimate test before it's acceptance) and should be at least one week old. And after three weeks, if a word still miss the approval of two members, it could nevertheless be submitted.
For example, if a word has one of the two conditions, it wil be moved to the list "likely to be accepted" (like your word, but then, I have to move some other words), and if a word have the two conditions, or is at least three weeks old, it will be moved to the list "awaiting submition" and the one who proposed the word can submit it and only the one who proposed it (because of the credits if the word is accepted (yes, credits are very important to me, maybe because of my job)).
In other words, a word is submitted if it is one week old and have he approval of two members, or if it is three weeks old.

And if a word is accepted, I will move it to "accepted words".

What do you think?

EDIT: date of creation of words added in the first post.

by Drakpa
January 15, 2014
Julseonikaan

Well, I think the word has to be approved by at least two persons on this thread (knowing that it will then submitted to a moderator, like being a sort of ultimate test before it's acceptance) and should be at least one week old. And after three weeks, if a word still miss the approval of two members, it could nevertheless be submitted.
For example, if a word has one of the two conditions, it wil be moved to the list "likely to be accepted" (like your word, but then, I have to move some other words), and if a word have the two conditions, or is at least three weeks old, it will be moved to the list "awaiting submition" and the one who proposed the word can submit it and only the one who proposed it (because of the credits if the word is accepted (yes, credits are very important to me, maybe because of my job)).
In other words, a word is submitted if it is one week old and have he approval of two members, or if it is three weeks old.

And if a word is accepted, I will move it to "accepted words".

What do you think?

EDIT: date of creation of words added in the first post.

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 16, 2014

Hey guys, I'm really excited that you're into this and putting this together. I want to put a few things out there before you dive headlong into it.

I would like the Dovahzul dictionary here to remain in the context of The Elder Scrolls universe. It's a central pillar of at least my own vision for the language that I'm not willing to break at this time. So in that regard, I don't think we're ready to have modern words in this dictionary.

However I don't want to discourage you from what you're doing if modern words are something you want. I'd like to encourage your efforts without upsetting people such as myself and others who would want the language to stay grounded in Skyrim. What if you both started a Google spreadsheet with modern words? I need not be involved, and other people who want modern words will be able to use it. I can even link to it in the Library. This way you can make as many modern words as you want and the dictionary here will still be able to abide by its rules.

by paarthurnax
January 16, 2014

Hey guys, I'm really excited that you're into this and putting this together. I want to put a few things out there before you dive headlong into it.

I would like the Dovahzul dictionary here to remain in the context of The Elder Scrolls universe. It's a central pillar of at least my own vision for the language that I'm not willing to break at this time. So in that regard, I don't think we're ready to have modern words in this dictionary.

However I don't want to discourage you from what you're doing if modern words are something you want. I'd like to encourage your efforts without upsetting people such as myself and others who would want the language to stay grounded in Skyrim. What if you both started a Google spreadsheet with modern words? I need not be involved, and other people who want modern words will be able to use it. I can even link to it in the Library. This way you can make as many modern words as you want and the dictionary here will still be able to abide by its rules.

perrydrums
January 20, 2014

Do you mean that you can make a seperate page in the dictionary with a list of modern words, something like that? Would be useful though.

by perrydrums
January 20, 2014

Do you mean that you can make a seperate page in the dictionary with a list of modern words, something like that? Would be useful though.

Drakpa
January 21, 2014

That's what I understood too. I'm working on that, I'll share it ASAP~ (I'll try to make it look as professional as possible)

by Drakpa
January 21, 2014

That's what I understood too. I'm working on that, I'll share it ASAP~ (I'll try to make it look as professional as possible)

perrydrums
January 21, 2014
Drakpa

Do you need more words then?;p

by perrydrums
January 21, 2014
Drakpa

Do you need more words then?;p

Drakpa
January 21, 2014

You can submit your own words, explaining their origins, and as no one made an objection to the rules I proposed, it will go in the "Words to be discussed" list (and after in the "Words likely to be accepted", etc.).

By the way, I'll rename the name of the list "Words awaiting submission" to "Words awaiting the addition to the dictionary" and the list "Accepted Words" will be remplaced by the link to the dictionary (which willl come out a little bit later than expected, because of my job in which I have to work a lot more).

EDIT: Link to the dictionary added. Yes, it's quite empty right no, but it's our duty to fill it, isn't it? ;)

by Drakpa
January 21, 2014

You can submit your own words, explaining their origins, and as no one made an objection to the rules I proposed, it will go in the "Words to be discussed" list (and after in the "Words likely to be accepted", etc.).

By the way, I'll rename the name of the list "Words awaiting submission" to "Words awaiting the addition to the dictionary" and the list "Accepted Words" will be remplaced by the link to the dictionary (which willl come out a little bit later than expected, because of my job in which I have to work a lot more).

EDIT: Link to the dictionary added. Yes, it's quite empty right no, but it's our duty to fill it, isn't it? ;)

perrydrums
January 22, 2014

awesome:), so if I've come up with some words do I post them in this thread?

by perrydrums
January 22, 2014

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 22, 2014

Nice dictionary, Drapka!  A quick note on the IPA pronunciation, lorotdwin should ideally be /loÊŠ.roÊŠt.sÉ›.dwi:n/. The rot sounds like the English "wrote" rather than "rot".

by paarthurnax
January 22, 2014

Nice dictionary, Drapka!  A quick note on the IPA pronunciation, lorotdwin should ideally be /loÊŠ.roÊŠt.sÉ›.dwi:n/. The rot sounds like the English "wrote" rather than "rot".

Drakpa
January 30, 2014
paarthurnax

Thanks! I'll edit it when a new word will be added.

EDIT: Sorry, quoting Paarthurnax deleted my answer to you (to much powerness, Paarthurnax)

perrydrums

Yes, you do, and I'll add them in the first list (but it can already be discussed even before it's in the list)

EDIT: Both "America" and "France" has been added to the list "Words likely to be accepted", and I agreed with the word for "plane" as "loksovaar" instead of "loksesovaar", as the first of is shorter and, in y opinion, sounds better (thus it has two agreements) (the two have been proposed by Aalizah).
So, for these words, we have one week left for discussing them.

(EDIT²: uh? When we delete a post, it doesn't simply dissapear? I just wanted to avoid a double-post)

EDIT³: Oh, and I forgot the word "telephone". I'm moving it. By the way, for the Dictionry's next updte, expect a dictionary a little bit... different.

by Drakpa
January 30, 2014
paarthurnax

Thanks! I'll edit it when a new word will be added.

EDIT: Sorry, quoting Paarthurnax deleted my answer to you (to much powerness, Paarthurnax)

perrydrums

Yes, you do, and I'll add them in the first list (but it can already be discussed even before it's in the list)

EDIT: Both "America" and "France" has been added to the list "Words likely to be accepted", and I agreed with the word for "plane" as "loksovaar" instead of "loksesovaar", as the first of is shorter and, in y opinion, sounds better (thus it has two agreements) (the two have been proposed by Aalizah).
So, for these words, we have one week left for discussing them.

(EDIT²: uh? When we delete a post, it doesn't simply dissapear? I just wanted to avoid a double-post)

EDIT³: Oh, and I forgot the word "telephone". I'm moving it. By the way, for the Dictionry's next updte, expect a dictionary a little bit... different.

Drakpa
February 4, 2014

Edited lists, a new word is now awaiting its addition to the dictionary~

Hey, don't hesitate to submit here your modern words (said the guy who didn't do it since he created this thread)

by Drakpa
February 4, 2014

Edited lists, a new word is now awaiting its addition to the dictionary~

Hey, don't hesitate to submit here your modern words (said the guy who didn't do it since he created this thread)

Drakpa
February 4, 2014

Dictionary updated, and as you can see, Dovahzul is available in both Dovahzul font and in romanization (not sure about this word).

Next update, I'll also modify the introduction in order to make it more professional (I'll get inspired from my Tibetan and Japanese dictionaries).

by Drakpa
February 4, 2014

Dictionary updated, and as you can see, Dovahzul is available in both Dovahzul font and in romanization (not sure about this word).

Next update, I'll also modify the introduction in order to make it more professional (I'll get inspired from my Tibetan and Japanese dictionaries).

1  2 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.