Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

giving meaning to the names of otar and volsung

Toorlokviing
January 16, 2014

for a while it has bugged me that otar and volsung have no dragon meaning attached to their names in skyrim. if one could plz bring that into being i would be most grateful. only thing close to volsung having meaning already existent is vol= horror so maybe something that goes with that for the last part would be good. dont know about otar.

by Toorlokviing
January 16, 2014

for a while it has bugged me that otar and volsung have no dragon meaning attached to their names in skyrim. if one could plz bring that into being i would be most grateful. only thing close to volsung having meaning already existent is vol= horror so maybe something that goes with that for the last part would be good. dont know about otar.

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 16, 2014

Otar's full name is Otar the Mad, which I think is an indication that Otar is his name as a Nord and isn't in the Dragon Language. Volsung, though, I think could possibly fit into the Dragon Language. As you pointed out "Vol" means "horror". It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say that "Volsung" might mean "horrible".

by paarthurnax
January 16, 2014

Otar's full name is Otar the Mad, which I think is an indication that Otar is his name as a Nord and isn't in the Dragon Language. Volsung, though, I think could possibly fit into the Dragon Language. As you pointed out "Vol" means "horror". It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say that "Volsung" might mean "horrible".

Toorlokviing
January 21, 2014
paarthurnax

why would beth make otar a dragon priest if his name would not mean anything in the dragon language?

by Toorlokviing
January 21, 2014
paarthurnax

why would beth make otar a dragon priest if his name would not mean anything in the dragon language?

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 21, 2014

There's a lore reason. Check out The Secrets of Ragnvald. Otar was once a Nord chieftan before he became Dragon Priest, and Otar was his name prior. Unlike other priests who adopt the name of their mask, he keeps that name as a priest. Otar is a Nordic name and wouldn't mean anything in the dragon language any more than the names "Sarek" or "Torsten".

by paarthurnax
January 21, 2014

There's a lore reason. Check out The Secrets of Ragnvald. Otar was once a Nord chieftan before he became Dragon Priest, and Otar was his name prior. Unlike other priests who adopt the name of their mask, he keeps that name as a priest. Otar is a Nordic name and wouldn't mean anything in the dragon language any more than the names "Sarek" or "Torsten".

Maakrindah
April 25, 2015

About Volsung... Do we have any existing words or word forms for "sung"? If not, we could attempt to extrapolate possibilities based on lore. I know a little bit about Volsung's lore, but do not know details enough to guess as to what kind of 'horror' he was.

by Maakrindah
April 25, 2015

About Volsung... Do we have any existing words or word forms for "sung"? If not, we could attempt to extrapolate possibilities based on lore. I know a little bit about Volsung's lore, but do not know details enough to guess as to what kind of 'horror' he was.

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 25, 2015
Cinnamon Tiger

There are no words that end in -sung. There is a remote possibility that the name Volsung is of dragon origin, but the game guide states otherwise.

by paarthurnax
April 25, 2015
Cinnamon Tiger

There are no words that end in -sung. There is a remote possibility that the name Volsung is of dragon origin, but the game guide states otherwise.

Toorlokviing
April 26, 2015
paarthurnax
Cinnamon Tiger

according to some sources...volsung actually served under otar for years before getting his own temple

by Toorlokviing
April 26, 2015
paarthurnax
Cinnamon Tiger

according to some sources...volsung actually served under otar for years before getting his own temple

Felniir Ahvus
April 29, 2015

It might be unrelated, but there's a 12th-13th century Saga of Volsungs from Iceland.   In that text it was a clan name.

by Felniir Ahvus
April 29, 2015

It might be unrelated, but there's a 12th-13th century Saga of Volsungs from Iceland.   In that text it was a clan name.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.