Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

names

1  2 > >>  

farkasfirebeard
February 23, 2014

We all know of dragon names. We all surely have chosen a dragon name of our own. But what of our  own names? Look up names and their meaning and then translate. For example, my name is michael which means "who is like god" so "michael" would translate to "Wolosmedrah"

The name eric, from the norse,means "ever ruler" which is "Alunmu'uliik"

I am curious to learn more,  please share your own findings here.

Dinok us dukaan

by farkasfirebeard
February 23, 2014

We all know of dragon names. We all surely have chosen a dragon name of our own. But what of our  own names? Look up names and their meaning and then translate. For example, my name is michael which means "who is like god" so "michael" would translate to "Wolosmedrah"

The name eric, from the norse,means "ever ruler" which is "Alunmu'uliik"

I am curious to learn more,  please share your own findings here.

Dinok us dukaan

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 23, 2014

My name is "Matthew", which means "gift from God". To keep in the 3-syllable convention, it could translate to "Rahofan", "God-given", or "Rahkogaan", "God's blessing".

by paarthurnax
February 23, 2014

My name is "Matthew", which means "gift from God". To keep in the 3-syllable convention, it could translate to "Rahofan", "God-given", or "Rahkogaan", "God's blessing".

farkasfirebeard
February 23, 2014
paarthurnax

by farkasfirebeard
February 23, 2014
paarthurnax

farkasfirebeard
February 23, 2014

Perhaps then "Losmedrah" would be fitting. However I was interested in forming the translation to the actual meanings. This brings up a good point. . . When translating mortal names do we confine the translation to the dragon tounge? Our names would be foreign to the dov, so should we define them exactly from our language? Perhaps a case to case basis should be established. Some mortal names may lose the true translation if made to fit within the structure of dovahzul where others such as "matthew" fit very well with a slight change without losing the true meaning.

by farkasfirebeard
February 23, 2014

Perhaps then "Losmedrah" would be fitting. However I was interested in forming the translation to the actual meanings. This brings up a good point. . . When translating mortal names do we confine the translation to the dragon tounge? Our names would be foreign to the dov, so should we define them exactly from our language? Perhaps a case to case basis should be established. Some mortal names may lose the true translation if made to fit within the structure of dovahzul where others such as "matthew" fit very well with a slight change without losing the true meaning.

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 23, 2014

As you mentioned it would probably be on a case by case basis, whichever method you prefer for your own translating. Another approach would be to not "translate" the names at all - they are just names, so no meaning is lost if I call myself "Matthew" over "Rahkogaan".

by paarthurnax
February 23, 2014

As you mentioned it would probably be on a case by case basis, whichever method you prefer for your own translating. Another approach would be to not "translate" the names at all - they are just names, so no meaning is lost if I call myself "Matthew" over "Rahkogaan".

otakufreak40
February 23, 2014

Thomas, coming from Aramaic for "twin", would be more or less "Zeinin".

by otakufreak40
February 23, 2014

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 24, 2014
otakufreak40

This is a good example that highlights what I think are some potential problems with "translating" names. Since "Zeinin" is an actual word, it would be near impossible for a reader to know that "Zeinin" is supposed to mean "Thomas" and not "Twin". I think it would be best to try and render it as a dragon name (maybe "Zeinahkiin", "two-hunter-born") or keep it as "Thomas".

by paarthurnax
February 24, 2014
otakufreak40

This is a good example that highlights what I think are some potential problems with "translating" names. Since "Zeinin" is an actual word, it would be near impossible for a reader to know that "Zeinin" is supposed to mean "Thomas" and not "Twin". I think it would be best to try and render it as a dragon name (maybe "Zeinahkiin", "two-hunter-born") or keep it as "Thomas".

MekaX
February 24, 2014

My name is "Micah" in Hebrew it means "Man of God" but in Japanese its Mika. I can't come up with anything.

by MekaX
February 24, 2014

My name is "Micah" in Hebrew it means "Man of God" but in Japanese its Mika. I can't come up with anything.

LucienLachance
February 24, 2014

My name is Jay, and there are two given wheras it would mean the "blue crested bird" but if we want to keep it to the three syllable it would go down to "blue bird" so, bii lokraan. But in Sanskri, my name means "Victorious" and coincedentally, in dovahzul that is a three syllable word, krongrahkei.

I feel like maybe I would seem vain, introducing myself as "victorious" to dov, but then again, I am rather vain myself.

You all pose a strong argument too, because of the fact that it's basically turning our names into the meaning, and we could just keep our own names but pronounce it as dov. Either way, I do like the original idea and wouldn't mind walking around calling myself blue bird or victorious.

by LucienLachance
February 24, 2014

My name is Jay, and there are two given wheras it would mean the "blue crested bird" but if we want to keep it to the three syllable it would go down to "blue bird" so, bii lokraan. But in Sanskri, my name means "Victorious" and coincedentally, in dovahzul that is a three syllable word, krongrahkei.

I feel like maybe I would seem vain, introducing myself as "victorious" to dov, but then again, I am rather vain myself.

You all pose a strong argument too, because of the fact that it's basically turning our names into the meaning, and we could just keep our own names but pronounce it as dov. Either way, I do like the original idea and wouldn't mind walking around calling myself blue bird or victorious.

LucienLachance
February 25, 2014
MekaX
LucienLachance maybe try victorious blue bird. Its three words and it combines both meanings.

that would be one hell of a long name though, friend!

"zu'u krongrahkei bii lokaan!"

"...uh, can I just call you kron or something dude that's a mouthful"

"nid!"

but hey it is pretty cool you know I like that a lot, victorious blue bird, if we were to totally reverse this whole thing and take our name meanings, translate to dovahzul, and then use the english of the dovahzul as our name. Very nice.

by LucienLachance
February 25, 2014
MekaX
LucienLachance maybe try victorious blue bird. Its three words and it combines both meanings.

that would be one hell of a long name though, friend!

"zu'u krongrahkei bii lokaan!"

"...uh, can I just call you kron or something dude that's a mouthful"

"nid!"

but hey it is pretty cool you know I like that a lot, victorious blue bird, if we were to totally reverse this whole thing and take our name meanings, translate to dovahzul, and then use the english of the dovahzul as our name. Very nice.

Drakpa
March 3, 2014

Well, my two first names both are translated by only one word:

-Lucien (oh, hi LucienLachance!) : Light --> Geyol

-Drak-pa (even if it's my unofficial name, that's how I'm called) : Famous --> Frahkei

Maybe if I ix the two, I could have Frahgeyol, or something like that, and it wouldn't necessarly be an actual word in Dovahzul.

by Drakpa
March 3, 2014

Well, my two first names both are translated by only one word:

-Drak-pa (even if it's my unofficial name, that's how I'm called) : Famous --> Frahkei

Maybe if I ix the two, I could have Frahgeyol, or something like that, and it wouldn't necessarly be an actual word in Dovahzul.

shynight
March 4, 2014
Drakpa

That's another problem with just translating our names: people who have the same name. People might get confused with you and LucienLachance. Or if I used my actual name, Kyle, they might confuse me and Toxikyle.

Granted, I got lucky that Shy and Night are Kuud and Vulon, so my Internet name works, and Kuudvulon isn't likely to be mistaken for an actual word.

by shynight
March 4, 2014
Drakpa

That's another problem with just translating our names: people who have the same name. People might get confused with you and LucienLachance. Or if I used my actual name, Kyle, they might confuse me and Toxikyle.

Granted, I got lucky that Shy and Night are Kuud and Vulon, so my Internet name works, and Kuudvulon isn't likely to be mistaken for an actual word.

hiith
March 5, 2014

I thought that our mortal dovahzul names should be transliterations of our actual, native-language names (like I chose mine: "Heath" --> "hiith"), but (as I think about it now) I suppose we can choose, individually, what we want. A heath is a type of wasteland (nevonaar) or types of shrubs that grow in such a place, which would make my name "jinsenevonaar". But I much prefer "hiith", so that's my name (and there's nothing you can do to stop it!).

by hiith
March 5, 2014

I thought that our mortal dovahzul names should be transliterations of our actual, native-language names (like I chose mine: "Heath" --> "hiith"), but (as I think about it now) I suppose we can choose, individually, what we want. A heath is a type of wasteland (nevonaar) or types of shrubs that grow in such a place, which would make my name "jinsenevonaar". But I much prefer "hiith", so that's my name (and there's nothing you can do to stop it!).

Rokfentjer
March 19, 2014

My name is Joseph, which means 'He will add,' which translates nicely into Rokfentjer.

by Rokfentjer
March 19, 2014

My name is Joseph, which means 'He will add,' which translates nicely into Rokfentjer.

1  2 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.