Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

New thoughts on grammar

paarthurnax
Administrator
March 13, 2014

I've been digging into the dialogue file lately and I've come across some interesting bits of grammar that I'll post here.

Dovahkiin, vosaraan! Use Dragonrend before Alduin consumes you!    vosaraan = do not wait

Here "Vo-" is being used to make "do not ____". Interesting and a good way of shortening that up. I can see it being confusing in places where "Vo-" makes actual words, for example "Vokrii" could mean "do not kill" or "revive".

Here's an example of "ni" being used.

Zu'u ni faas gaaffesejul.    I do not fear mortal ghosts (

ghosts of men/humans
).

Perhaps "Vo-" is used for imperatives? So you'd say "Vofaas!" for "Don't be afraid!" instead of "Ni faas!"

Alok, Vuljotnaak. Tiid boaan.    Arise, NAME. The time has arrived.

Here we see "Bo" being used to mean "arrive". I like the idea of using these simple words "Bo", "to fly, flow, or move", to encompass all these different meanings. It cuts down on the number of words you need to know and gives more meaning to each word.

Mal morah, just some thoughts. Thanks for reading!

by paarthurnax
March 13, 2014

I've been digging into the dialogue file lately and I've come across some interesting bits of grammar that I'll post here.

Dovahkiin, vosaraan! Use Dragonrend before Alduin consumes you!    vosaraan = do not wait

Here "Vo-" is being used to make "do not ____". Interesting and a good way of shortening that up. I can see it being confusing in places where "Vo-" makes actual words, for example "Vokrii" could mean "do not kill" or "revive".

Here's an example of "ni" being used.

Zu'u ni faas gaaffesejul.    I do not fear mortal ghosts (

ghosts of men/humans
).

Perhaps "Vo-" is used for imperatives? So you'd say "Vofaas!" for "Don't be afraid!" instead of "Ni faas!"

Alok, Vuljotnaak. Tiid boaan.    Arise, NAME. The time has arrived.

Here we see "Bo" being used to mean "arrive". I like the idea of using these simple words "Bo", "to fly, flow, or move", to encompass all these different meanings. It cuts down on the number of words you need to know and gives more meaning to each word.

Mal morah, just some thoughts. Thanks for reading!

Tinvaakfuntkoraavaan
March 21, 2014

Considering for dragons, flying is the default method of moving, it makes a lot of sense for the verb to be used as such. Consider how we use "go" in English for a myriad of phrases and the different meanings it has in such phrases - it makes a certain sense that dragons would use "fly" in the same way. In fact, I think we should add words for different kinds of flight (like flying low, flying high, with the wind or against it etc.), since flying is such an important part of a dragon's life. Consider how many words the Inuits have for different kinds of snow (around 6 if I remember correctly), or how many set expressions English has for sexual activities.

by Tinvaakfuntkoraavaan
March 21, 2014

Considering for dragons, flying is the default method of moving, it makes a lot of sense for the verb to be used as such. Consider how we use "go" in English for a myriad of phrases and the different meanings it has in such phrases - it makes a certain sense that dragons would use "fly" in the same way. In fact, I think we should add words for different kinds of flight (like flying low, flying high, with the wind or against it etc.), since flying is such an important part of a dragon's life. Consider how many words the Inuits have for different kinds of snow (around 6 if I remember correctly), or how many set expressions English has for sexual activities.

yaropolk
March 24, 2014

prefix "Vo..." forms antonyms (words opposite in meaning)

by yaropolk
March 24, 2014

prefix "Vo..." forms antonyms (words opposite in meaning)

Vulsaarkven
March 25, 2014

I quite like it. It would make the language that much simpler and straight to the point.

by Vulsaarkven
March 25, 2014

I quite like it. It would make the language that much simpler and straight to the point.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.