A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Name of the Dragon Language

1  2 > >>  

paarthurnax
Administrator
March 19, 2013

The language has been called a great number of things by many different people - Dovah, Dragon, Dragontongue, Thu'um ("the Voice"), Dovahzul, Dragon Language, Tinvaaksedovah just to name a few that I've seen.

I have always taken to calling it the "Dragon Language" (in Cyrodiilic, anyways).  What should we name the language, both internal (in the Dragon Language) and external (in Cyrodiilic)?  There are the options above, as well as some others we can make from the language itself: Sahkrensedov, Deinoksedov, Dovahsahkren, Dovahdeinok ...

I will personally most likely contiue to call it the "Dragon Language", but I'm open to suggestions as far as what the language calls itself.  "Thu'um" has my vote - it's short, and everyone knows what it means already.  Although, we can also debate that the Dragon Language is separate from actual power of "The Voice".  Also, I know a lot of people who call it by "Dovahzul" and that works very well too.

Thoughts?

by paarthurnax
March 19, 2013

The language has been called a great number of things by many different people - Dovah, Dragon, Dragontongue, Thu'um ("the Voice"), Dovahzul, Dragon Language, Tinvaaksedovah just to name a few that I've seen.

I have always taken to calling it the "Dragon Language" (in Cyrodiilic, anyways).  What should we name the language, both internal (in the Dragon Language) and external (in Cyrodiilic)?  There are the options above, as well as some others we can make from the language itself: Sahkrensedov, Deinoksedov, Dovahsahkren, Dovahdeinok ...

I will personally most likely contiue to call it the "Dragon Language", but I'm open to suggestions as far as what the language calls itself.  "Thu'um" has my vote - it's short, and everyone knows what it means already.  Although, we can also debate that the Dragon Language is separate from actual power of "The Voice".  Also, I know a lot of people who call it by "Dovahzul" and that works very well too.

Thoughts?

ASTORKiT
March 19, 2013

Personally, I call it either the Dragon Language, or Dovah, but that seems awfully blunt.

Perhaps we could have a sort of derived name for it, like how England -> English, and Spain -> Spanish? Terrible example, but you get the idea. Calling it the Dragon Language just sounds a little clunky, albeit effective.

by ASTORKiT
March 19, 2013

Personally, I call it either the Dragon Language, or Dovah, but that seems awfully blunt.

Perhaps we could have a sort of derived name for it, like how England -> English, and Spain -> Spanish? Terrible example, but you get the idea. Calling it the Dragon Language just sounds a little clunky, albeit effective.

Nol
March 19, 2013

Lol in that case what about Dovish? I personally vote for Dovahzul as that's what I've been calling it forever now.

by Nol
March 19, 2013

Lol in that case what about Dovish? I personally vote for Dovahzul as that's what I've been calling it forever now.

paarthurnax
Administrator
March 19, 2013

In-language, I think "Dovahzul" is great.  ASTORKiT, I think the English word you're looking for is "Draconic"?  Otherwise I suppose "Dragon" can be used too.  I really like the sound of "Dovish" ("Dovic" like "Nordic"?), but I'm not sure it makes sense taking a Dovahzul word and adding an English suffix to it.

by paarthurnax
March 19, 2013

In-language, I think "Dovahzul" is great.  ASTORKiT, I think the English word you're looking for is "Draconic"?  Otherwise I suppose "Dragon" can be used too.  I really like the sound of "Dovish" ("Dovic" like "Nordic"?), but I'm not sure it makes sense taking a Dovahzul word and adding an English suffix to it.

ASTORKiT
March 19, 2013
paarthurnax

Perhaps then we can derive a suffix in-language? To derive a from location, i.e. how 'British' is tied to Britain, "A british thing", and "he's Nordic"?

by ASTORKiT
March 19, 2013
paarthurnax

Perhaps then we can derive a suffix in-language? To derive a from location, i.e. how 'British' is tied to Britain, "A british thing", and "he's Nordic"?

paarthurnax
Administrator
March 19, 2013
ASTORKiT

Sounds good.  "Dovahzul" is the noun, so then the adjective would be "Dovahzul" plus this suffix.  How about "-en"?  "Dovahzulen"?

by paarthurnax
March 19, 2013
ASTORKiT

Sounds good.  "Dovahzul" is the noun, so then the adjective would be "Dovahzul" plus this suffix.  How about "-en"?  "Dovahzulen"?

ASTORKiT
March 19, 2013

That sounds good, so, for example, using this new suffix:

Bron (Nord) -> Bronen (Nordic)?

Fahliil (Elf) -> Fahliilen (Elven)?

by ASTORKiT
March 19, 2013

paarthurnax
Administrator
March 19, 2013
ASTORKiT

Exactly, and then I was thinking for nouns that end in vowels, "Dovah" for example ("ah" being the vowel), it would end in "-ren".  So, "Dovahren".

by paarthurnax
March 19, 2013
ASTORKiT

Exactly, and then I was thinking for nouns that end in vowels, "Dovah" for example ("ah" being the vowel), it would end in "-ren".  So, "Dovahren".

ASTORKiT
March 20, 2013
paarthurnax
ASTORKiT

I approve, I shall submit it and then you can check for inconsistencies.

by ASTORKiT
March 20, 2013
paarthurnax
ASTORKiT

I approve, I shall submit it and then you can check for inconsistencies.

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 1, 2013

Another word that might be useful is a name for speakers of the language, essentially what we would call ourselves.  Possibilities are "Dovahfron", "Dragonkin", "Dovahsahkren", "Dragon Tongue", or maybe "Dovahzulaan", the "Dragon Voiced".

Thoughts or suggestions?

by paarthurnax
April 1, 2013

Another word that might be useful is a name for speakers of the language, essentially what we would call ourselves.  Possibilities are "Dovahfron", "Dragonkin", "Dovahsahkren", "Dragon Tongue", or maybe "Dovahzulaan", the "Dragon Voiced".

Thoughts or suggestions?

Aakuliiz
April 1, 2013

I like "Dovahfron" and "Dovahzulaan".

I personally think that the name should be in Dovahzul.

It just doesn't seem right to call it in English. Like the name itself should be in Dovahzul.

And it should probably be something easy to say too. But this is just my personal opinions.

by Aakuliiz
April 1, 2013

I like "Dovahfron" and "Dovahzulaan".

I personally think that the name should be in Dovahzul.

It just doesn't seem right to call it in English. Like the name itself should be in Dovahzul.

And it should probably be something easy to say too. But this is just my personal opinions.

Chevvy
April 9, 2013

nice thread!
Could be very useful for me since I need to find a title or some titles for my books later.
I first thought about simply "Dragon language" but I think it would sound cooler, better to have the name in dragon language.
Actually I go for "Dovahzul", too… though "Dovahsahkren" sounds also nice but a bit too long for me. Dovahzul can be spoken faster.
Think I might use this as title for my books instead of using dragon or dragon language.

by Chevvy
April 9, 2013

nice thread!
Could be very useful for me since I need to find a title or some titles for my books later.
I first thought about simply "Dragon language" but I think it would sound cooler, better to have the name in dragon language.
Actually I go for "Dovahzul", too… though "Dovahsahkren" sounds also nice but a bit too long for me. Dovahzul can be spoken faster.
Think I might use this as title for my books instead of using dragon or dragon language.

scrptrx
April 11, 2013
paarthurnax

I like Dovish too but yeah it's a dual-language thing that just wouldn't happen.

I think Dovahzul wins.

by scrptrx
April 11, 2013
paarthurnax

I like Dovish too but yeah it's a dual-language thing that just wouldn't happen.

I think Dovahzul wins.

fowlron
April 13, 2013

DREM YOL LOK

another vote for Dovahzul, i think its about perfect

DOV4ZUL

by fowlron
April 13, 2013

DREM YOL LOK

another vote for Dovahzul, i think its about perfect

DOV4ZUL

Myufi
April 13, 2013

Dovahzul sounds good to me.

But, if you simply told somebody in English that you spoke Dovahzul, I wouldn't expect them to understand what that is. For clarification, other than saying 'dragon language', I like the English term of Dragontongue.

by Myufi
April 13, 2013

Dovahzul sounds good to me.

But, if you simply told somebody in English that you spoke Dovahzul, I wouldn't expect them to understand what that is. For clarification, other than saying 'dragon language', I like the English term of Dragontongue.

1  2 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.