Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Possible Magickal Concept Behind Thu'um?

1  2  3  4 > >>  

Onikdojyah
April 2, 2014

After diligent and applied study of various spiritual concepts, and unfiltered practice and study in various arts of 'High Magick,' (Meditation, visualization, elevated thought, studies in how various sounds and vibration uttered from the body affect the bodies of oneself and others, Devine contact, Devinity in and of itself, etc.)  I have come to recognise the Thu'um and Dovahzul itself as a correspondant and similar concept to my studies, and as such pitch an idea to the esteemed wordsmiths of Thu'um.org;

Could it be possible for the Thu'um and all of Dovahzul to be an applicable spiritual and magickal concept similar to the Way of The Voice, yet also used as a practical and aplicable form of Magick? I do not expect any of you to believe me, nor do I expect you to think me any more sane than Signis Septum, but I humbly ask for your oppinions on this subject. And considering that the concept of the Thu'um is knowing the complete meaning of a particular word and using it in its meaning as a tool or a weapon, you can see where I would get this sort of idea.

by Onikdojyah
April 2, 2014

After diligent and applied study of various spiritual concepts, and unfiltered practice and study in various arts of 'High Magick,' (Meditation, visualization, elevated thought, studies in how various sounds and vibration uttered from the body affect the bodies of oneself and others, Devine contact, Devinity in and of itself, etc.)  I have come to recognise the Thu'um and Dovahzul itself as a correspondant and similar concept to my studies, and as such pitch an idea to the esteemed wordsmiths of Thu'um.org;

Could it be possible for the Thu'um and all of Dovahzul to be an applicable spiritual and magickal concept similar to the Way of The Voice, yet also used as a practical and aplicable form of Magick? I do not expect any of you to believe me, nor do I expect you to think me any more sane than Signis Septum, but I humbly ask for your oppinions on this subject. And considering that the concept of the Thu'um is knowing the complete meaning of a particular word and using it in its meaning as a tool or a weapon, you can see where I would get this sort of idea.

hiith
April 3, 2014

I believe that sorcery is possible and has been practiced. It seems to me that someone who is practiced in sorcery may be able to use this language, but I don't think that the creator(s) of this language intended it to be any more than something from a video game.

by hiith
April 3, 2014

I believe that sorcery is possible and has been practiced. It seems to me that someone who is practiced in sorcery may be able to use this language, but I don't think that the creator(s) of this language intended it to be any more than something from a video game.

Onikdojyah
April 3, 2014

A good theory, Hiith, and I thank you for it. Of course the motives for the creators of this language are unknown, but that gives us the oppritunity to assign our own meaning to the language! And of course there may be clashes, but anyone can believe what they will. There is no ONE right way. I do thank you for your input. If I may ask, do you believe in sorcery or what I believe to be Magick? Power and knowledge of/over various energies of The Universe?

by Onikdojyah
April 3, 2014

A good theory, Hiith, and I thank you for it. Of course the motives for the creators of this language are unknown, but that gives us the oppritunity to assign our own meaning to the language! And of course there may be clashes, but anyone can believe what they will. There is no ONE right way. I do thank you for your input. If I may ask, do you believe in sorcery or what I believe to be Magick? Power and knowledge of/over various energies of The Universe?

hiith
April 3, 2014

I believe in many things (sorcery, witchcraft, magic, etc. are all similar in my mind). Different practices have different understandings and do different things. Although, I would have you understand that I don't practice any of these and am opposed to it.

by hiith
April 3, 2014

I believe in many things (sorcery, witchcraft, magic, etc. are all similar in my mind). Different practices have different understandings and do different things. Although, I would have you understand that I don't practice any of these and am opposed to it.

Onikdojyah
April 3, 2014

I understand, Hiith. My apologies if I offend you with my use, practice, and study of Magick. But if it's all the same to you, I shall continue my practice, and I encourage you to continue your practice in your beliefs.

by Onikdojyah
April 3, 2014

I understand, Hiith. My apologies if I offend you with my use, practice, and study of Magick. But if it's all the same to you, I shall continue my practice, and I encourage you to continue your practice in your beliefs.

hiith
April 3, 2014

You don't offend me. That's just how things are, I guess. zu'u hind pruzah kurlahhe

by hiith
April 3, 2014

You don't offend me. That's just how things are, I guess. zu'u hind pruzah kurlahhe

Onikdojyah
April 3, 2014

Zu'u nox hi fah hin eyvir sukahnd. Rinis wah hi.  Have a wonderful day, friend.

by Onikdojyah
April 3, 2014

Zu'u nox hi fah hin eyvir sukahnd. Rinis wah hi.  Have a wonderful day, friend.

Mulhahlor
April 4, 2014

This theory reminds me of Eragon. "The word is the thing. Know the word, and you control the thing." If I am quoting that less-than-expected movie, this sounds similar to the Thu'um, in the fact that you must "know" a word by spending a dragon soul to use it. And the fact that in Eragon the words are tied to magic. Not saying it is the same thing here, though. Fah hin lor.

by Mulhahlor
April 4, 2014

This theory reminds me of Eragon. "The word is the thing. Know the word, and you control the thing." If I am quoting that less-than-expected movie, this sounds similar to the Thu'um, in the fact that you must "know" a word by spending a dragon soul to use it. And the fact that in Eragon the words are tied to magic. Not saying it is the same thing here, though. Fah hin lor.

Onikdojyah
April 4, 2014

I thank you for your idea, Mulhahlor. And it ties in to my own; To successfully use the Thu'um, you need to completely know the word you're using, inside, out, forwards, and backwards. Everything about its meaning from what it translates to, to the feeling it produces. I thank you for the thought, Mulhahlor. Pogaas ahreyn!

by Onikdojyah
April 4, 2014

I thank you for your idea, Mulhahlor. And it ties in to my own; To successfully use the Thu'um, you need to completely know the word you're using, inside, out, forwards, and backwards. Everything about its meaning from what it translates to, to the feeling it produces. I thank you for the thought, Mulhahlor. Pogaas ahreyn!

Onikdojyah
April 13, 2014

Could it also be possible that the Rotmulog being used also has its assigned motion? As in Fus would associate itself with a type of pushing motion, Yol would associate itself with a gesture pertaining to Fire or Power, etc. Though these motions could be subjective to ones own understanding of the word, and in completely understanding the word, you don't need to perform a motion. You already know everything about it.. But, Krosis, I am ranting. Any thoughts?

by Onikdojyah
April 13, 2014

Could it also be possible that the Rotmulog being used also has its assigned motion? As in Fus would associate itself with a type of pushing motion, Yol would associate itself with a gesture pertaining to Fire or Power, etc. Though these motions could be subjective to ones own understanding of the word, and in completely understanding the word, you don't need to perform a motion. You already know everything about it.. But, Krosis, I am ranting. Any thoughts?

hiith
April 13, 2014

I feel like you just explained the concept of the thu'um. As I understand it, the words of power are just that: words that have power within them. And the more you understand the word, the more you can do with it. This is why meditations increase the effect of the shout, and why, according to the game, it takes ordinary mortals many years for one word. But this might imply that there is a set, correct understanding of the rotmulaag, or at least that there's a certain understanding that contains the power.

by hiith
April 13, 2014

I feel like you just explained the concept of the thu'um. As I understand it, the words of power are just that: words that have power within them. And the more you understand the word, the more you can do with it. This is why meditations increase the effect of the shout, and why, according to the game, it takes ordinary mortals many years for one word. But this might imply that there is a set, correct understanding of the rotmulaag, or at least that there's a certain understanding that contains the power.

Onikdojyah
April 13, 2014

Ah, I see! Thank you Hiith, my apologies for my unneccesary repetition.

by Onikdojyah
April 13, 2014

Ah, I see! Thank you Hiith, my apologies for my unneccesary repetition.

Krahlokiiz
August 27, 2014

Krosis, for the necropost, but if you think what Kirkbride writes to be cannon, the Thu'um is a form of tonal architecture 

JUBAL-LUN-SUL (CONT'D)

Red Mountain. Alinor. Reclaiming all the tone-shouts from Atmora that they took from YOU?

And tonal architecture is re-writing the song of existance

Tamriel. Starry Heart. That whole f****** thing is a song. It was made either out of 12 planets, or from two brothers that split in the womb. Either way, it's the primal wail and those that grew up on it - they can't help but hear it, and add to it, or try to control it, or run from it. The reason there IS music on Tamriel at ALL is because it exists. It was and is and it will not stop.

Believe what you want. What I'm saying is that the thu'm is not magic, but instead directly manipulating existance to be how you want it to be. Telling reality what to do, instead of the other way around.

by Krahlokiiz
August 27, 2014

Krosis, for the necropost, but if you think what Kirkbride writes to be cannon, the Thu'um is a form of tonal architecture 

JUBAL-LUN-SUL (CONT'D)

Red Mountain. Alinor. Reclaiming all the tone-shouts from Atmora that they took from YOU?

And tonal architecture is re-writing the song of existance

Tamriel. Starry Heart. That whole f****** thing is a song. It was made either out of 12 planets, or from two brothers that split in the womb. Either way, it's the primal wail and those that grew up on it - they can't help but hear it, and add to it, or try to control it, or run from it. The reason there IS music on Tamriel at ALL is because it exists. It was and is and it will not stop.

Believe what you want. What I'm saying is that the thu'm is not magic, but instead directly manipulating existance to be how you want it to be. Telling reality what to do, instead of the other way around.

Mirkrilaar
September 6, 2014

Not going into much detail, but I have noticed that when an enemy puts up a ward and you shout at it, the ward blocks the shout almost like it was a spell. Curious...

by Mirkrilaar
September 6, 2014

Not going into much detail, but I have noticed that when an enemy puts up a ward and you shout at it, the ward blocks the shout almost like it was a spell. Curious...

Mulhahlor
September 8, 2014
Mirkrilaar

And the Spellbreaker ward blocks dragon breath shouts, up to a point.

by Mulhahlor
September 8, 2014
Mirkrilaar

And the Spellbreaker ward blocks dragon breath shouts, up to a point.

1  2  3  4 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.