Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Literature

Nyarlathotep
April 9, 2014

Hello there, everyone.  I got to thinking that a major incentive when learning any language (but especially a conlang) is an existing body of literature to read in the language.  For example, I'd love to learn Quenya, but there's nothing translated into it (or at least nother easy to find), so, barring the sudden appearance of Elves, where's the fun?  Languages are to be used, after all!  To that effect, I've decided to start an initiative to get some Dovahzul translations prepared, so that while you're learning, you have something to practice with.  If nothing else, you'll be able to print it out and read it, and if someone comes by and questions what it is, you can be the picture of nonchalance and glibly reply, "This?  Oh, this is Dovahzul."  Pretty awesome!

To this end, I would welcome any pieces of literature you'd like to see Dovahzul translations of.  Shorter works are, of course, preferred (those of you hoping to see a Dovahzul "War and Peace" are out of luck!), but I will try to be regular about getting things translated.  Excerpts or very short works will appear in this thread, but longer works may gain the prestige of appearing in the site's Library!  This, of course, is up to Paarthurnax's discretion.

Finally, anyone who wishes to join in this endeavor is more than welcome.  With more than just me tranlating, I'm sure that we will be able to build up a good sample of Dovahzul to read and enjoy!

by Nyarlathotep
April 9, 2014

Hello there, everyone.  I got to thinking that a major incentive when learning any language (but especially a conlang) is an existing body of literature to read in the language.  For example, I'd love to learn Quenya, but there's nothing translated into it (or at least nother easy to find), so, barring the sudden appearance of Elves, where's the fun?  Languages are to be used, after all!  To that effect, I've decided to start an initiative to get some Dovahzul translations prepared, so that while you're learning, you have something to practice with.  If nothing else, you'll be able to print it out and read it, and if someone comes by and questions what it is, you can be the picture of nonchalance and glibly reply, "This?  Oh, this is Dovahzul."  Pretty awesome!

To this end, I would welcome any pieces of literature you'd like to see Dovahzul translations of.  Shorter works are, of course, preferred (those of you hoping to see a Dovahzul "War and Peace" are out of luck!), but I will try to be regular about getting things translated.  Excerpts or very short works will appear in this thread, but longer works may gain the prestige of appearing in the site's Library!  This, of course, is up to Paarthurnax's discretion.

Finally, anyone who wishes to join in this endeavor is more than welcome.  With more than just me tranlating, I'm sure that we will be able to build up a good sample of Dovahzul to read and enjoy!

Morovahdin
April 9, 2014

Here is a poem from the end of The Hobbit:

Roads go ever ever on,
Over rock and under tree,
By caves where never sun has shone,
By streams that never find the sea;
Over snow by winter sown,
And through the merry flowers of June,
Over grass and over stone,
And under mountains of the moon.

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star,
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

by Morovahdin
April 9, 2014

Here is a poem from the end of The Hobbit:

Roads go ever ever on,
Over rock and under tree,
By caves where never sun has shone,
By streams that never find the sea;
Over snow by winter sown,
And through the merry flowers of June,
Over grass and over stone,
And under mountains of the moon.

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star,
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Nyarlathotep
April 9, 2014

Ah, an excellent choice!  I'll have it posted here soon.  Thank you!

by Nyarlathotep
April 9, 2014

Ah, an excellent choice!  I'll have it posted here soon.  Thank you!

Nyarlathotep
April 9, 2014

All right, everyone.  I figured that, to dislodge the first olive from the bottle, I'd post a small firstie.  Here is the translation for the rather famous John 3:16 verse in the Bible.  No, I will not only be posting Christian passages; it's just something that's relatively well-known and small, perfect for a first attempt.  :)

For God so loved the world that He gave His only

begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not

perish but have eternal life.

Fah  Rah ful lokal fin lein tol Rok ofan Ok nunon geth Kul, tol wosealun korah ko Mok fent ni saluk nuz lost unahzaal laas.

F4 R4 FUL LOCAL FIN L2N TOL ROK OFAN OK NUNON GETH KUL, TOL WOSEALUN KOR4 KO MOK FENT NI SALUKI NUZ LOST UN4Z1L L1S.

by Nyarlathotep
April 9, 2014

All right, everyone.  I figured that, to dislodge the first olive from the bottle, I'd post a small firstie.  Here is the translation for the rather famous John 3:16 verse in the Bible.  No, I will not only be posting Christian passages; it's just something that's relatively well-known and small, perfect for a first attempt.  :)

For God so loved the world that He gave His only

begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not

perish but have eternal life.

Fah  Rah ful lokal fin lein tol Rok ofan Ok nunon geth Kul, tol wosealun korah ko Mok fent ni saluk nuz lost unahzaal laas.

F4 R4 FUL LOCAL FIN L2N TOL ROK OFAN OK NUNON GETH KUL, TOL WOSEALUN KOR4 KO MOK FENT NI SALUKI NUZ LOST UN4Z1L L1S.

otakufreak40
April 11, 2014

You say that languages are to be used, but that doesn't stop people from learning dead languages or languages they would otherwise be unable to speak.

On the topic of Tolkien, how about the following:

Three Rinds for the Elven-kings under the sky,

Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,

Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,

One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,

One Ring to bind them all and in the darkness bind them

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

by otakufreak40
April 11, 2014

You say that languages are to be used, but that doesn't stop people from learning dead languages or languages they would otherwise be unable to speak.

On the topic of Tolkien, how about the following:

Three Rinds for the Elven-kings under the sky,

Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,

Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,

One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,

One Ring to bind them all and in the darkness bind them

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

hiith
April 13, 2014

I did two peices some time back to practice structure and stuff. Here's a translation of a quote from Sheik before he teaches you the Serenade of Water in LoZ:OoT:

T3D R4N 4RK JOR3N STENF4 
MED BONSERATH N3 HELTNI 
K3RUS HADRIM FEN STR1G KOTIN NONVUL P1R 
GOR1N LOKAL FEN M9Z DIL PRUVOS 
F1INU D1SINSESELOM JOK1R NARAND

Which is interpreted from:

"Time passes, people move...

Like a river's flow, it never ends...

A childish mind will become deep affection...

The clear water's surface reflects growth..."

I wouldn't be surprised if there was any errors, though.

I chose this passage because I feel like it has a lot of meaning. There are also a number of passages that have been translated by newcommers in these forums.

by hiith
April 13, 2014

I did two peices some time back to practice structure and stuff. Here's a translation of a quote from Sheik before he teaches you the Serenade of Water in LoZ:OoT:

T3D R4N 4RK JOR3N STENF4 
MED BONSERATH N3 HELTNI 
K3RUS HADRIM FEN STR1G KOTIN NONVUL P1R 
GOR1N LOKAL FEN M9Z DIL PRUVOS 
F1INU D1SINSESELOM JOK1R NARAND

Which is interpreted from:

"Time passes, people move...

Like a river's flow, it never ends...

A childish mind will become deep affection...

The clear water's surface reflects growth..."

I wouldn't be surprised if there was any errors, though.

I chose this passage because I feel like it has a lot of meaning. There are also a number of passages that have been translated by newcommers in these forums.

hiith
May 18, 2014

I offer my translation of Psalms 3:

aan lovaas do david fod bovul nol abiishahlom ok kul

drog, tertaas los niin wo verarokon ahrk pogaan alok midrak zey

pogaan saag wah sili rah savni mok, selah

nuz rah los spaani ahrk dii moro ahrk rok gekriis dii klov

zu’u somirk voth zul wah rah ahrk rok hon nol strunmah revak, selah

zu’u nok ahrk zu’u laag ahrk zu’u alok dahik faal rah volk zey

zu’u faasni  men ton norsemuz tol gekenlok zey  ahrk hel niistmaar midrak zey

alok oo drog, sav zey oo rahi, hi nos paali nau jot ahrk hi kren rax do pah tol los veistul

savend los nol rah, hin kogaan los nau hin joriin, selah

*** please note *** "david" and "abiishahlom" are names (as I translated them), and "selah" doesn't mean anything, but was probably used to indicate a pause in the music.

by hiith
May 18, 2014

I offer my translation of Psalms 3:

aan lovaas do david fod bovul nol abiishahlom ok kul

drog, tertaas los niin wo verarokon ahrk pogaan alok midrak zey

pogaan saag wah sili rah savni mok, selah

nuz rah los spaani ahrk dii moro ahrk rok gekriis dii klov

zu’u somirk voth zul wah rah ahrk rok hon nol strunmah revak, selah

zu’u nok ahrk zu’u laag ahrk zu’u alok dahik faal rah volk zey

zu’u faasni  men ton norsemuz tol gekenlok zey  ahrk hel niistmaar midrak zey

alok oo drog, sav zey oo rahi, hi nos paali nau jot ahrk hi kren rax do pah tol los veistul

savend los nol rah, hin kogaan los nau hin joriin, selah

*** please note *** "david" and "abiishahlom" are names (as I translated them), and "selah" doesn't mean anything, but was probably used to indicate a pause in the music.

Mul klo riik
October 8, 2014

one ring

G2N PRENLON W4 M5L N3N P4
G2N PRENLON S3V N3N
G2N PRENLON W4 DRUN N3N P4
4RK KO VULOM GRON N3N

(That was easy. I tryed rewording it over and over but the best and most accurate was pretty much a word-for-word)

by Mul klo riik
October 8, 2014

one ring

G2N PRENLON W4 M5L N3N P4
G2N PRENLON S3V N3N
G2N PRENLON W4 DRUN N3N P4
4RK KO VULOM GRON N3N

(That was easy. I tryed rewording it over and over but the best and most accurate was pretty much a word-for-word)

Nyarlathotep
November 4, 2014

Maybe I should get back on here and get some stuff translated . . .

by Nyarlathotep
November 4, 2014

Maybe I should get back on here and get some stuff translated . . .

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.