A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Revision Thread

1  2  3  100  101  102  103 > >>  

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 18, 2014

This thread is for all discussion related to word revisions. You can suggest a revision either by posting below or suggesting a revision from a specific word's entry.

Please state which word you would like revised, your revision, and an explanation. Below are some reasons why a word might be revised:

• Spelling is inconsistent with related words
  • An existing canon or semi-canon word could be used in its place
  • Root words don't make sense
  • It should have a different canon level (for example, moving it to modern words)
  • Its spelling is vastly different from what its definition might suggest
  • It conflicts with an existing word

A lot of these are very subjective so word revisions will be handled on a case by case basis. For the sake of consistency, words that have already been revised are less likely to be considered for revision, and words will not be changed without sufficient reason.

Thanks for reading; let's build a better language together!

by paarthurnax
April 18, 2014

This thread is for all discussion related to word revisions. You can suggest a revision either by posting below or suggesting a revision from a specific word's entry.

Please state which word you would like revised, your revision, and an explanation. Below are some reasons why a word might be revised:

• Spelling is inconsistent with related words
  • An existing canon or semi-canon word could be used in its place
  • Root words don't make sense
  • It should have a different canon level (for example, moving it to modern words)
  • Its spelling is vastly different from what its definition might suggest
  • It conflicts with an existing word

A lot of these are very subjective so word revisions will be handled on a case by case basis. For the sake of consistency, words that have already been revised are less likely to be considered for revision, and words will not be changed without sufficient reason.

Thanks for reading; let's build a better language together!

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 18, 2014

Kronimaar

This word is problematic as it could be confused as a compound of "Kron" and "Imaar". I suggest changing it to the full "Krosonimaar" or "Krosonmaar" to avoid this confusion.

by paarthurnax
April 18, 2014

Kronimaar

This word is problematic as it could be confused as a compound of "Kron" and "Imaar". I suggest changing it to the full "Krosonimaar" or "Krosonmaar" to avoid this confusion.

Foduiiz
April 20, 2014

Qiid

Small change: Should translate to both 'Ask' and 'Question(verb)'. The latter meaning 'to ask (a question) to'.

by Foduiiz
April 20, 2014

Qiid

Small change: Should translate to both 'Ask' and 'Question(verb)'. The latter meaning 'to ask (a question) to'.

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 20, 2014
qobofus

Qiid

Sounds good, and then perhaps we could also have this as the noun and verb for "Question", eliminating the need for the separate word "Qiidaht".

Edit: Looking around I noticed a similar word, "Luaan", "question", which comes from the canon word "Laan" (want/request). I'm thinking we could use this instead as our master word for ask/question, then we can delete Qiid and Qiidaht.

by paarthurnax
April 20, 2014
qobofus

Qiid

Sounds good, and then perhaps we could also have this as the noun and verb for "Question", eliminating the need for the separate word "Qiidaht".

Edit: Looking around I noticed a similar word, "Luaan", "question", which comes from the canon word "Laan" (want/request). I'm thinking we could use this instead as our master word for ask/question, then we can delete Qiid and Qiidaht.

Mirkrilaar
April 22, 2014

Sulvek

An added synonym, solace.

by Mirkrilaar
April 22, 2014

Sulvek

Mirkrilaar
April 22, 2014

Smoliin

Synonym: fervor

by Mirkrilaar
April 22, 2014

Smoliin

Mirkrilaar
April 22, 2014

Tjer

Synonym: Amplify

by Mirkrilaar
April 22, 2014

Tjer

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 22, 2014

Sulvek

Synonym added.

Smoliin

"Fervor" means "great warmth and earnestness of feeling: to speak with great fervor" or "intense heat". I think the word frin is a much better fit for this than smoliin, so I added it to that word instead.

Tjer

Synonym added. I also simplified the spelling to "Ter".

by paarthurnax
April 22, 2014

Sulvek

Synonym added.

Smoliin

"Fervor" means "great warmth and earnestness of feeling: to speak with great fervor" or "intense heat". I think the word frin is a much better fit for this than smoliin, so I added it to that word instead.

Tjer

Synonym added. I also simplified the spelling to "Ter".

Mirkrilaar
April 22, 2014

I was actually considering frin, but at the last moment,I thought that the other word would have worked better, but that's fine.

by Mirkrilaar
April 22, 2014

I was actually considering frin, but at the last moment,I thought that the other word would have worked better, but that's fine.

pokiemoon
April 23, 2014

Deinmaar

I see that by deiniik is written that it litterally means keeper so it would be strange that there is another word needed for the same thing. (if i'm wrong just tell me but looks strange)

by pokiemoon
April 23, 2014

Deinmaar

I see that by deiniik is written that it litterally means keeper so it would be strange that there is another word needed for the same thing. (if i'm wrong just tell me but looks strange)

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 23, 2014
pokiemoon

Deinmaar

Good point, "Deiniik" removed.

by paarthurnax
April 23, 2014
pokiemoon

Deinmaar

Good point, "Deiniik" removed.

Mulhahlor
April 23, 2014

Bormah

Akatosh should also be one of the definitions of Bormah, "Father", since that is how the Dov see him.

by Mulhahlor
April 23, 2014

Bormah

Akatosh should also be one of the definitions of Bormah, "Father", since that is how the Dov see him.

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 23, 2014
Mulhahlor

Bormah

Added, note that they use the word "Father" to refer to Akatosh rather than "Bormah" being the name of Akatosh. In other words a human speaker couldn't use "Bormah" to mean "Akatosh".

by paarthurnax
April 23, 2014
Mulhahlor

Bormah

Added, note that they use the word "Father" to refer to Akatosh rather than "Bormah" being the name of Akatosh. In other words a human speaker couldn't use "Bormah" to mean "Akatosh".

Rokfentjer
April 23, 2014

Ronir

Expand the definition to include 'nun'.

by Rokfentjer
April 23, 2014

Ronir

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 23, 2014
Rokfentjer

Ronir

Added.

by paarthurnax
April 23, 2014
Rokfentjer

Ronir

Added.

1  2  3  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.