Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Project- "A Chance Meeting"

1  2 > >>  

Kodaavzii
April 15, 2013

With the permission of Paarthurnax, I have a proposition for you: Let's give lyrics to the song "A Chance Meeting" from the Skyrim soundtrack in both Dovahzul and English. I don't think it has to rhyme, but it can if you want. If we all work together, I think we can have a lot of fun with this!

Here is a link to the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8YlLRRZWMk

by Kodaavzii
April 15, 2013

With the permission of Paarthurnax, I have a proposition for you: Let's give lyrics to the song "A Chance Meeting" from the Skyrim soundtrack in both Dovahzul and English. I don't think it has to rhyme, but it can if you want. If we all work together, I think we can have a lot of fun with this!

Here is a link to the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8YlLRRZWMk

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 15, 2013

First, we'll have to decide what our song will be about.  Listening to a lot of the bard's song, it might deal with some story or myth in Nordic lore.

As for lyrics - we can write them in Dovahzul first and then write an English equivalent, or vice versa, write English lyrics and then translate them into Dovahzul.  The actual process might be something like - think of a verse in English, try to translate it into Dovahzul, and if it doesn't fit, try something different.

by paarthurnax
April 15, 2013

First, we'll have to decide what our song will be about.  Listening to a lot of the bard's song, it might deal with some story or myth in Nordic lore.

As for lyrics - we can write them in Dovahzul first and then write an English equivalent, or vice versa, write English lyrics and then translate them into Dovahzul.  The actual process might be something like - think of a verse in English, try to translate it into Dovahzul, and if it doesn't fit, try something different.

ASTORKiT
April 16, 2013

I passed Musical Theory which covered composition (thankfully!) so I'm more than willing to lend a hand to this.

I think this sounds like some sort of revering song, to commemorate some kind of passing or something. A tale for the ages, ne?

Or perhaps some kind of celebration of an ending, (what with Skyrim being officially 'over' I think it might be nice to do some sort of final hoorah).

Anyways that's just my two quid on the matter.

by ASTORKiT
April 16, 2013

I passed Musical Theory which covered composition (thankfully!) so I'm more than willing to lend a hand to this.

I think this sounds like some sort of revering song, to commemorate some kind of passing or something. A tale for the ages, ne?

Or perhaps some kind of celebration of an ending, (what with Skyrim being officially 'over' I think it might be nice to do some sort of final hoorah).

Anyways that's just my two quid on the matter.

Kodaavzii
April 16, 2013

Awesome! I love that idea. Perhaps it could be a ballad about the Dragonborn meeting/defeating Alduin?

And it will be great to have you on board, ASTORKiT. Kogaan!

by Kodaavzii
April 16, 2013

Awesome! I love that idea. Perhaps it could be a ballad about the Dragonborn meeting/defeating Alduin?

And it will be great to have you on board, ASTORKiT. Kogaan!

fowlron
April 16, 2013

Well this is a thread for me, im on the 6th grade, i play piano and have musical knowlage lessons for about 4 years, im frequenting a portuguese music school that is connected to london's Trinity collage.

So i can help you with that.

First: We must have in count that we cannot create the lyrics in english and translate to dovahzul because the word are bigger or smaller and may not fit well, so that is important

Secund: I just heard the song and yes, it seems is a commemoration to something, like alduins death or dragonborn tryumph, so, it can be about the dragonborn story, how he killed alduin, how he find the elder scrools.

Third: We can have a great song with great lyrics, but it still needs someone to sing it (Sorry, im not gonna let me get involved in that part XD)

So you can count on my help with anything you need

by fowlron
April 16, 2013

Well this is a thread for me, im on the 6th grade, i play piano and have musical knowlage lessons for about 4 years, im frequenting a portuguese music school that is connected to london's Trinity collage.

So i can help you with that.

First: We must have in count that we cannot create the lyrics in english and translate to dovahzul because the word are bigger or smaller and may not fit well, so that is important

Secund: I just heard the song and yes, it seems is a commemoration to something, like alduins death or dragonborn tryumph, so, it can be about the dragonborn story, how he killed alduin, how he find the elder scrools.

Third: We can have a great song with great lyrics, but it still needs someone to sing it (Sorry, im not gonna let me get involved in that part XD)

So you can count on my help with anything you need

Kodaavzii
April 16, 2013

I agree with you that exact translation won't be possible, but I think it would be interesting and challenging to at least attempt a working English and Dovahzul adaptation to the song.

There seem to be sort of two halves of the song: the first part and then a similar second part that begins around 1:36. In my opinion, I think the first half should be a general "Oh listen to the great tale of the Dragonborn: Alduin was a dragon, an ancient tyrant, and he was going to take over the world with his dragon brethren" and the second half is more "Then the Dragonborn came and he smote Alduin and saved Skyrim and all of Tamriel" sort of deal.

Fowlron and ASTORKiT, if you two could work together I think it would be beneficial for us all if we could have a sort of working sheet music for this. All we would need is the flute melody, that way we can figure out syllables, timing if someone were to sing it, etc.

by Kodaavzii
April 16, 2013

I agree with you that exact translation won't be possible, but I think it would be interesting and challenging to at least attempt a working English and Dovahzul adaptation to the song.

There seem to be sort of two halves of the song: the first part and then a similar second part that begins around 1:36. In my opinion, I think the first half should be a general "Oh listen to the great tale of the Dragonborn: Alduin was a dragon, an ancient tyrant, and he was going to take over the world with his dragon brethren" and the second half is more "Then the Dragonborn came and he smote Alduin and saved Skyrim and all of Tamriel" sort of deal.

Fowlron and ASTORKiT, if you two could work together I think it would be beneficial for us all if we could have a sort of working sheet music for this. All we would need is the flute melody, that way we can figure out syllables, timing if someone were to sing it, etc.

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 16, 2013

I have a program called Finale that can make sheet music, and I have a lot of experience learning music by ear (I've been playing violin for 12+ years now).  I can get some sheet music to you all soon.

by paarthurnax
April 16, 2013

I have a program called Finale that can make sheet music, and I have a lot of experience learning music by ear (I've been playing violin for 12+ years now).  I can get some sheet music to you all soon.

ASTORKiT
April 16, 2013

I'm also a singer so I'd be honoured to take a crack at this if you wouldn't mind~!

by ASTORKiT
April 16, 2013

I'm also a singer so I'd be honoured to take a crack at this if you wouldn't mind~!

Kodaavzii
April 16, 2013

STUNDEN!

That will be wonderful guys. I'll start making some lyrics and see how they fit in Dovahzul.

by Kodaavzii
April 16, 2013

STUNDEN!

That will be wonderful guys. I'll start making some lyrics and see how they fit in Dovahzul.

fowlron
April 16, 2013

INCREDIBLE

Everyone here is a musician? I guess musicions are atracted by thu'um haha

Well, i usualy create sheets with Sibelius but i can get Finale (i heard a lot about him too) so we can share saves to work together

Well, we should start now that we have a singer, and 3 musicians i think we are ready

by fowlron
April 16, 2013

INCREDIBLE

Everyone here is a musician? I guess musicions are atracted by thu'um haha

Well, i usualy create sheets with Sibelius but i can get Finale (i heard a lot about him too) so we can share saves to work together

Well, we should start now that we have a singer, and 3 musicians i think we are ready

Kodaavzii
April 16, 2013

I already have a tentitive English draft to set to Dovahzul, but I wanted to ask you all a question. With the words set to music, do we want each syllable to match notes exactly? The song has a slower-pace feel to it, so I felt personally it would be fitting to let a few words drag out when fitting phrasing, but I'd like your opinion.

(I hope that wasn't really confusing. Krosis.)

by Kodaavzii
April 16, 2013

I already have a tentitive English draft to set to Dovahzul, but I wanted to ask you all a question. With the words set to music, do we want each syllable to match notes exactly? The song has a slower-pace feel to it, so I felt personally it would be fitting to let a few words drag out when fitting phrasing, but I'd like your opinion.

(I hope that wasn't really confusing. Krosis.)

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 16, 2013

I understand what you're saying, I think it would make sense to let some words hold for a few syllables.  I also have a slight idea as far as lyrics go.  For rhyming (if we wanted to do that), I was thinking of an ABBA scheme.

Also, the song is in A-flat minor and 4/4 time for those interested.  The emphasis is on the 1st and 4th beats (the drums).

Edit: The song is actually in G-sharp minor, my bad.

by paarthurnax
April 16, 2013

I understand what you're saying, I think it would make sense to let some words hold for a few syllables.  I also have a slight idea as far as lyrics go.  For rhyming (if we wanted to do that), I was thinking of an ABBA scheme.

Also, the song is in A-flat minor and 4/4 time for those interested.  The emphasis is on the 1st and 4th beats (the drums).

Edit: The song is actually in G-sharp minor, my bad.

ASTORKiT
April 17, 2013

ABBA sounds good as far as a scheme goes, ABAC could be nice too though. Holding some syllables out would be nice, it helps to keep the pace of vocals.

Let me know when you have a nice draft up.

by ASTORKiT
April 17, 2013

ABBA sounds good as far as a scheme goes, ABAC could be nice too though. Holding some syllables out would be nice, it helps to keep the pace of vocals.

Let me know when you have a nice draft up.

fowlron
April 17, 2013

I think we should try to use the same scheme as the music, talking about rithm, i mean if the music is abba(exemple im not sure what it is)then we should use it as well

Well, i created a poem (not uploaded yet) in english about the dragonborn, i think ill call it "The Dragonborn Tale", it quicly resumes all the story on how the dragonborn finds fullfil his destiny and defeat the world eater.

The music is 3 min long, but we could try to use a program like finale or sibelius to write the music on it and add a repetition somewhere (sorry if i missspel it im portuguese and i dont now much english music words)

So i agree with the holding syllabes too, we cant forget its a calm and nice song and we must have that in count when creating the lyrics and Rhitms so it dont lose that... Sound

by fowlron
April 17, 2013

I think we should try to use the same scheme as the music, talking about rithm, i mean if the music is abba(exemple im not sure what it is)then we should use it as well

Well, i created a poem (not uploaded yet) in english about the dragonborn, i think ill call it "The Dragonborn Tale", it quicly resumes all the story on how the dragonborn finds fullfil his destiny and defeat the world eater.

The music is 3 min long, but we could try to use a program like finale or sibelius to write the music on it and add a repetition somewhere (sorry if i missspel it im portuguese and i dont now much english music words)

So i agree with the holding syllabes too, we cant forget its a calm and nice song and we must have that in count when creating the lyrics and Rhitms so it dont lose that... Sound

Kodaavzii
April 17, 2013

I have a working English version right now, and the direct Dovahzul translation fits the rhythim very well, although it does not rhyme. Would everyone prefer that it rhymed? I will alter it if need be.

I think we should try to do our best to stay with the orginal length of the song as much as possible, but if we really want to we could repeat something. I think the song's natural length is good: not too short and not too long.

by Kodaavzii
April 17, 2013

I have a working English version right now, and the direct Dovahzul translation fits the rhythim very well, although it does not rhyme. Would everyone prefer that it rhymed? I will alter it if need be.

I think we should try to do our best to stay with the orginal length of the song as much as possible, but if we really want to we could repeat something. I think the song's natural length is good: not too short and not too long.

1  2 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.