A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

List of Affixes

1  2  3  4 > >>  

Foduiiz
July 20, 2014

List of Affixes

This is a brief guide to the canon affixes. Legacy affixes can be found here.

vo-

Not to be confused with vo. Equivalent to English "un-". This prefix means "not", or "opposite of". Vokiin = "unborn"

-se-

Not to be confused with do. Equivalent to English "-of-". This infix forms compound words. Vennesetiid = "The currents of time"

Possessive Suffixes

-ro

Equivalent to English "-'s". This suffix indicates possession. If "triump" is zind, then "triumph's" is zindro.

-i

Has the same meaning as English "my". Used to indicate first person singular possession. If "friend" is fahdon, then "my friend" is fahdoni.

-iil

Has the same meaning as English "your". Used to indicateindicate second person singular possession. If "friend" is fahdon, then "your friend" is fahdoniil.

-ii

Has the same meaning as English "his/her/its". Used to indicate third person singular possession. If "friend" is fahdon, then "his/her/its friend" is fahdonii.

-u

Has the same meaning as English "our". Used to indicate first person plural possession. If "friend" is fahdon, then "our friend" is fahdonu.

by Foduiiz
July 20, 2014

List of Affixes

This is a brief guide to the canon affixes. Legacy affixes can be found here.

vo-

Not to be confused with vo. Equivalent to English "un-". This prefix means "not", or "opposite of". Vokiin = "unborn"

-se-

Not to be confused with do. Equivalent to English "-of-". This infix forms compound words. Vennesetiid = "The currents of time"

Possessive Suffixes

-ro

Equivalent to English "-'s". This suffix indicates possession. If "triump" is zind, then "triumph's" is zindro.

-i

Has the same meaning as English "my". Used to indicate first person singular possession. If "friend" is fahdon, then "my friend" is fahdoni.

-iil

Has the same meaning as English "your". Used to indicateindicate second person singular possession. If "friend" is fahdon, then "your friend" is fahdoniil.

-ii

Has the same meaning as English "his/her/its". Used to indicate third person singular possession. If "friend" is fahdon, then "his/her/its friend" is fahdonii.

-u

Has the same meaning as English "our". Used to indicate first person plural possession. If "friend" is fahdon, then "our friend" is fahdonu.

Nahvultoor Lot Dovah
July 20, 2014

Hmm, most helpful! This was a good idea and I believe it may benefit this site quite well! Pruzah krotz!

by Nahvultoor Lot Dovah
July 20, 2014

Hmm, most helpful! This was a good idea and I believe it may benefit this site quite well! Pruzah krotz!

Rokfentjer
August 19, 2014

Nox! I was in the middle of translating something when I remembered that '-von' was no longer the present particle suffix, and I couldn't find '-taas' anywhere. 

by Rokfentjer
August 19, 2014

Nox! I was in the middle of translating something when I remembered that '-von' was no longer the present particle suffix, and I couldn't find '-taas' anywhere. 

nolfokrent
August 22, 2014

Nox! This is extremely helpful.

by nolfokrent
August 22, 2014

Nox! This is extremely helpful.

Sketchi Devil
August 22, 2014

Reminds me how the Learning Dovahzul may need an update. I've already begun using the editting tool on my phone (since I learn it on the go or at work) to cross out deleted/changed bits and adding notes as to what it really is. Still, Nox! Good to have a reference. : )

by Sketchi Devil
August 22, 2014

Reminds me how the Learning Dovahzul may need an update. I've already begun using the editting tool on my phone (since I learn it on the go or at work) to cross out deleted/changed bits and adding notes as to what it really is. Still, Nox! Good to have a reference. : )

Foduiiz
August 25, 2014

I'm glad everyone is finding this useful!

It was looking a bit messy so I gave the formatting a revamp, updated some stuff and added possessive suffixes. 

by Foduiiz
August 25, 2014

I'm glad everyone is finding this useful!

It was looking a bit messy so I gave the formatting a revamp, updated some stuff and added possessive suffixes. 

Sketchi Devil
August 27, 2014

It is interesting that the possessive suffixes include one of the deleted suffixes. I'm not sure if that is why it was deleted or moved so that it could set elsewhere, but just noticed.

I am referring to -iil.

by Sketchi Devil
August 27, 2014

It is interesting that the possessive suffixes include one of the deleted suffixes. I'm not sure if that is why it was deleted or moved so that it could set elsewhere, but just noticed.

I am referring to -iil.

paarthurnax
Administrator
August 27, 2014
Sketchi Devil

I am referring to -iil.

Yup, that is why the old suffix -iil was deleted. The equivalent suffix is now -uv.

by paarthurnax
August 27, 2014
Sketchi Devil

I am referring to -iil.

Yup, that is why the old suffix -iil was deleted. The equivalent suffix is now -uv.

Loniizrath
September 20, 2014

Is there an affix for past tense?

by Loniizrath
September 20, 2014

Foduiiz
September 20, 2014
Toxikyle

Short answer: Not really.

Long answer: The past tense is almost always implied through the present tense, especially in a canon setting. If tense isn't clear, a good compromise might be -aan for the present perfect tense. For instance: 

• Zu'u alokaan, I have risen. 
  • Zu'u kriinaan dovah, I have slain the dragon

Or better yet the word drey meaning did. This isn't an affix though. 

• Zu'u drey alok, I did rise / I rose
  • Zu'u dreh kriin dovah, I did slay the dragon / I slew the dragon.​ 

Hope that answers your question. 

by Foduiiz
September 20, 2014
Toxikyle

Short answer: Not really.

Long answer: The past tense is almost always implied through the present tense, especially in a canon setting. If tense isn't clear, a good compromise might be -aan for the present perfect tense. For instance: 

• Zu'u alokaan, I have risen. 
  • Zu'u kriinaan dovah, I have slain the dragon

Or better yet the word drey meaning did. This isn't an affix though. 

• Zu'u drey alok, I did rise / I rose
  • Zu'u dreh kriin dovah, I did slay the dragon / I slew the dragon.​ 

Hope that answers your question. 

dilaag
November 22, 2014

This list is most helpful, Pruzah krotz

by dilaag
November 22, 2014

This list is most helpful, Pruzah krotz

BoDuSil
January 16, 2015

Thanks

by BoDuSil
January 16, 2015

Thanks

Rokfentjer
February 23, 2015

Question: is there an affix equivalent to English's -ian and -ist, as in Christian and novelist?

by Rokfentjer
February 23, 2015

Question: is there an affix equivalent to English's -ian and -ist, as in Christian and novelist?

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 23, 2015
Rokfentjer

The -iik / -d suffix is roughly equivalent. For example, maariik would end up being equivalent to "terrorist," though with a more accurate translation of "terrorizer."

by paarthurnax
February 23, 2015
Rokfentjer

The -iik / -d suffix is roughly equivalent. For example, maariik would end up being equivalent to "terrorist," though with a more accurate translation of "terrorizer."

Rokfentjer
February 23, 2015
paarthurnax
Rokfentjer

Thank you, paarthurnax! I just looked through the list again and found that suffix. I didn't see it earlier, for some reason.

by Rokfentjer
February 23, 2015
paarthurnax
Rokfentjer

Thank you, paarthurnax! I just looked through the list again and found that suffix. I didn't see it earlier, for some reason.

1  2  3  4 > >>