Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Dragon Culture

1  2 > >>  

RedCartographer
April 21, 2013

Often in my conversations about Dovahzul things have come up wondering about dragon culture and why they do the things they do. I understand that in actuality it's all speculation but just the same flushing out what sort of culture the Dragons have further advances the soul of the language in my opinion. 

by RedCartographer
April 21, 2013

Often in my conversations about Dovahzul things have come up wondering about dragon culture and why they do the things they do. I understand that in actuality it's all speculation but just the same flushing out what sort of culture the Dragons have further advances the soul of the language in my opinion. 

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 21, 2013

In my mind dragons tend to be very blunt and to-the-point, so it makes sense that a lot of words are ommitted from the sentence structure (a, an, the, etc.)  It sounds rather caveman-ish when translated literally, but it reflects their thinking.

by paarthurnax
April 21, 2013

In my mind dragons tend to be very blunt and to-the-point, so it makes sense that a lot of words are ommitted from the sentence structure (a, an, the, etc.)  It sounds rather caveman-ish when translated literally, but it reflects their thinking.

RedCartographer
April 23, 2013

I also think a lot of that comes too from the fact that older languages were more basic like this. But I do agree dragons don't beat around the bush, they get to the point and say what they mean. Odahving had no problem with telling dovahkiin how he felt about alduin and what he would do should he be slain. Paarthurnax's dialog wasn't vague nor overly metaphorical. It was straight forward. However as we discussed sometimes the true meaning of their name can be uncertain, don't know if that was just me though.

by RedCartographer
April 23, 2013

I also think a lot of that comes too from the fact that older languages were more basic like this. But I do agree dragons don't beat around the bush, they get to the point and say what they mean. Odahving had no problem with telling dovahkiin how he felt about alduin and what he would do should he be slain. Paarthurnax's dialog wasn't vague nor overly metaphorical. It was straight forward. However as we discussed sometimes the true meaning of their name can be uncertain, don't know if that was just me though.

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 23, 2013

Even with the Shouts, the individual words might seem vague on the surface.  "Force, balance, push!" "Fire, inferno, sun!" "Fade, spirit, bind!" etc.  Moreso, I think these are the meanings of the Shouts distilled into the most basic words.  Same with the dragon names, I imagine, since those are technically Shouts too.

by paarthurnax
April 23, 2013

Even with the Shouts, the individual words might seem vague on the surface.  "Force, balance, push!" "Fire, inferno, sun!" "Fade, spirit, bind!" etc.  Moreso, I think these are the meanings of the Shouts distilled into the most basic words.  Same with the dragon names, I imagine, since those are technically Shouts too.

scrptrx
April 25, 2013

Here's a question not really about culture but about dragons. 

I'm getting from the Lore that dragons are immortal, therefore they either are or aren't. They do not breed, therefore they are likely either sexless or all male (biased from their depiction in-game). Maybe they are all made in the image of Akatosh, and therefore male. 

If they are immortal and "sons" of Akatosh (likely not biological but rather spiritual offspring, breathed into being or whatever), is it possible then that some dragons exist in Aetherius as well as Mundus? If they are in Aetherius, where would they be? In what realm?

by scrptrx
April 25, 2013

Here's a question not really about culture but about dragons. 

I'm getting from the Lore that dragons are immortal, therefore they either are or aren't. They do not breed, therefore they are likely either sexless or all male (biased from their depiction in-game). Maybe they are all made in the image of Akatosh, and therefore male. 

If they are immortal and "sons" of Akatosh (likely not biological but rather spiritual offspring, breathed into being or whatever), is it possible then that some dragons exist in Aetherius as well as Mundus? If they are in Aetherius, where would they be? In what realm?

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 25, 2013

We do see Durnehviir in the Soul Cairn, so I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility for dragons to dwell outside of Mundus.  That said I think it's implied they mostly dwelled in Mundus.

by paarthurnax
April 25, 2013

We do see Durnehviir in the Soul Cairn, so I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility for dragons to dwell outside of Mundus.  That said I think it's implied they mostly dwelled in Mundus.

scrptrx
April 25, 2013

But the dead dragons' souls would be.... somewhere. You know, before Dragonborns eat them or Alduin uses them to resurrect them.

by scrptrx
April 25, 2013

But the dead dragons' souls would be.... somewhere. You know, before Dragonborns eat them or Alduin uses them to resurrect them.

scrptrx
April 25, 2013

And it stands to reason I guess that Akatosh could just make more...

by scrptrx
April 25, 2013

And it stands to reason I guess that Akatosh could just make more...

RedCartographer
April 26, 2013

He could just make more, but then why would alduin ressurect them? I'm not sure where their souls go but it makes sense. They seem unable to return on their own otherwise they'd just never chose to die, so without Alduin to ressurect them they are in essence mortal. It's seems its more like, immortality until killed sort of deal where they can live forever unless something takes them out. Alduin is depicted as part of Akatosh's duality and it's not far fetched to say he has creative powers as well as destructive abilities. So it's probably a very specific power to Alduin. Since dragons are connected by time dying could be much like Alduin being banished from the flow of time. Perhaps when their bodies are killed and there is no vessel to hold them they are somewhat banished from mundus? It's just an idea.

by RedCartographer
April 26, 2013

He could just make more, but then why would alduin ressurect them? I'm not sure where their souls go but it makes sense. They seem unable to return on their own otherwise they'd just never chose to die, so without Alduin to ressurect them they are in essence mortal. It's seems its more like, immortality until killed sort of deal where they can live forever unless something takes them out. Alduin is depicted as part of Akatosh's duality and it's not far fetched to say he has creative powers as well as destructive abilities. So it's probably a very specific power to Alduin. Since dragons are connected by time dying could be much like Alduin being banished from the flow of time. Perhaps when their bodies are killed and there is no vessel to hold them they are somewhat banished from mundus? It's just an idea.

Kaaldunir
October 13, 2013

I think it's something of a shame that the dragons are all male. I would have liked to see she-dragons and maybe even baby dragons too. Is there a reason for them all being male? Or is it possible that there are some females but we just haven't seen them?

by Kaaldunir
October 13, 2013

I think it's something of a shame that the dragons are all male. I would have liked to see she-dragons and maybe even baby dragons too. Is there a reason for them all being male? Or is it possible that there are some females but we just haven't seen them?

paarthurnax
Administrator
October 14, 2013
Kaaldunir

The Elder Scrolls dragons are technically genderless, they just happen to have "masculine" voices.  "There Be Dragons" provides a really good overview of their nature.

Edit: fixed the link!

by paarthurnax
October 14, 2013
Kaaldunir

The Elder Scrolls dragons are technically genderless, they just happen to have "masculine" voices.  "There Be Dragons" provides a really good overview of their nature.

56674sky
October 31, 2013
RedCartographer

by 56674sky
October 31, 2013
RedCartographer

56674sky
October 31, 2013
but still 

by 56674sky
October 31, 2013
but still 

Styorngolkiir
January 18, 2014
paarthurnax
Kaaldunir

Oh, and as for the egg thing. Dragons in TES don't lay eggs. All of them were born some time long ago. I forgot the exact lore as to how, but dragons are basically gods among earth. Except they aren't really gods, and are creatures bent on enslaving mortal life. Though of course, they aren't completely evil. They're just born with that idea in their heads, kind of like the daedra.

by Styorngolkiir
January 18, 2014
paarthurnax
Kaaldunir

Oh, and as for the egg thing. Dragons in TES don't lay eggs. All of them were born some time long ago. I forgot the exact lore as to how, but dragons are basically gods among earth. Except they aren't really gods, and are creatures bent on enslaving mortal life. Though of course, they aren't completely evil. They're just born with that idea in their heads, kind of like the daedra.

LeFork
January 19, 2014

I think if a dragon is slain it's soul goes somewhere in Aetherius and/or Akatosh's plain. Also I think they weren't made to reproduce because nothing out there could possibly kill them when they were all thrown into existence.

by LeFork
January 19, 2014

I think if a dragon is slain it's soul goes somewhere in Aetherius and/or Akatosh's plain. Also I think they weren't made to reproduce because nothing out there could possibly kill them when they were all thrown into existence.

1  2 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.