Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Dovahzul

Sketchi Devil
October 2, 2014

We love the idea (and practice) of speaking and writing in Dovahzul. It is why we have all gathered here today. From the peak in curosity from our adventuring days to follow us on our scholarly journeys to a full understanding of The Way of the Voice we are united here today under the same reason: a well crafted and fairly easy to learn conlang.

While it is very reminiscent to English, making natural English speakers more adept to adjusting to it, with some key exceptions it is colorful. We also get the joy of adding and deleting and refining the language. It is as much of our baby as it is Bethesda's brain child. I know that I have done enough alterations on my electronics to allow runes to replace normal text. (I have been looking into translation packages).

But that is all beside the point! Has Dovahzul inspired you to join in the fray of constructing your own language?

I had this inkling before strayed to this path. I've mentioned it before, but I'm a very private person and when I lay my thoughts on paper I intend for them to remain... my thoughts. Now I am more inspired than ever and have been actively working on the starts of my new language. I have nothing to present, but it's there!

by Sketchi Devil
October 2, 2014

We love the idea (and practice) of speaking and writing in Dovahzul. It is why we have all gathered here today. From the peak in curosity from our adventuring days to follow us on our scholarly journeys to a full understanding of The Way of the Voice we are united here today under the same reason: a well crafted and fairly easy to learn conlang.

While it is very reminiscent to English, making natural English speakers more adept to adjusting to it, with some key exceptions it is colorful. We also get the joy of adding and deleting and refining the language. It is as much of our baby as it is Bethesda's brain child. I know that I have done enough alterations on my electronics to allow runes to replace normal text. (I have been looking into translation packages).

But that is all beside the point! Has Dovahzul inspired you to join in the fray of constructing your own language?

I had this inkling before strayed to this path. I've mentioned it before, but I'm a very private person and when I lay my thoughts on paper I intend for them to remain... my thoughts. Now I am more inspired than ever and have been actively working on the starts of my new language. I have nothing to present, but it's there!

paarthurnax
Administrator
October 3, 2014

Hey Sketchi, thanks for sharing your ideas! I'm going to move this thread to the Hearth forum since it's not about the dragon language itself.

There are a few of us here who are nurturing our own conlangs. You can check out some  of them here. I'd been working with conlangs long before Skyrim, which is partly why I was drawn to Dovahzul in the first place.

by paarthurnax
October 3, 2014

Hey Sketchi, thanks for sharing your ideas! I'm going to move this thread to the Hearth forum since it's not about the dragon language itself.

There are a few of us here who are nurturing our own conlangs. You can check out some  of them here. I'd been working with conlangs long before Skyrim, which is partly why I was drawn to Dovahzul in the first place.

Kronvullok
December 10, 2014

To be honest, I was working on one, but it wasn't inspired by Dovahzul (What it's runes stood for was). It's called Akoran. Right now I've only got about 20 words.

by Kronvullok
December 10, 2014

To be honest, I was working on one, but it wasn't inspired by Dovahzul (What it's runes stood for was). It's called Akoran. Right now I've only got about 20 words.

hiith
December 10, 2014

I had the idea of making one, and I even started to develop it, but I decided to pursue languages that already exist for now. But it was going to be cool.

by hiith
December 10, 2014

I had the idea of making one, and I even started to develop it, but I decided to pursue languages that already exist for now. But it was going to be cool.

dovahnite
December 14, 2014

I thought about it, but never really did anything. If I did, it would probably end up being a weaker clone of Latin or something :P Never was all that creative when it comes to those things.

by dovahnite
December 14, 2014

I thought about it, but never really did anything. If I did, it would probably end up being a weaker clone of Latin or something :P Never was all that creative when it comes to those things.

Ahmuldein
December 26, 2014

I actually did work on a conlang for a bit but never really finished it.

by Ahmuldein
December 26, 2014

I actually did work on a conlang for a bit but never really finished it.

Kosenu
January 2, 2015

I think it would be a really awesome project, but what is the use of a language you can only speak yourself? I mean, there's already so many conlangs out there, who would be interested in mine? That's pretty much what keeps me from it.

by Kosenu
January 2, 2015

I think it would be a really awesome project, but what is the use of a language you can only speak yourself? I mean, there's already so many conlangs out there, who would be interested in mine? That's pretty much what keeps me from it.

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 2, 2015
Kosenu

For me, conlanging is part art, part learning. It's a painting that you never finish, something you're always refining. It doesn't matter to me if anyone else ever sees it, because I'm learning so much about real-world languages along the way.

by paarthurnax
January 2, 2015
Kosenu

For me, conlanging is part art, part learning. It's a painting that you never finish, something you're always refining. It doesn't matter to me if anyone else ever sees it, because I'm learning so much about real-world languages along the way.

DovahKiinZaan
January 4, 2015

I had once a nice conlang, it was an alphabet experiment, how many letter one can have. 

1,436 letters, and only ~750 words, needless to say it didn't work, so I trimmed it, and revised the dictionary, soon it had 675 letters, again, didn't work, shortened it to 100 letters and it works! After this I started growing it, until it failed. 

RIP first conlang

1436-100

by DovahKiinZaan
January 4, 2015

I had once a nice conlang, it was an alphabet experiment, how many letter one can have. 

1,436 letters, and only ~750 words, needless to say it didn't work, so I trimmed it, and revised the dictionary, soon it had 675 letters, again, didn't work, shortened it to 100 letters and it works! After this I started growing it, until it failed. 

RIP first conlang

1436-100

Krinnin
January 8, 2015

Yes... But I haven't found a name for it or even started making words.

by Krinnin
January 8, 2015

Yes... But I haven't found a name for it or even started making words.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.