Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

"Black Book" translation

Zauniglom
October 26, 2014

In question board, DovahKiinZaan suggested a translation for "Black Book". the Black Book is a hoard item.

These books contain an immense power. Since there is a translation for Elder Scrolls, DovahKiinZaan rightly thought that there should be a translation for "Black book".

Literally translating, "Black Book" is "suleyk mindah", however I would suggest something like "power knowledge", or "suleyk mindah".

by Zauniglom
October 26, 2014

In question board, DovahKiinZaan suggested a translation for "Black Book". the Black Book is a hoard item.

These books contain an immense power. Since there is a translation for Elder Scrolls, DovahKiinZaan rightly thought that there should be a translation for "Black book".

Literally translating, "Black Book" is "suleyk mindah", however I would suggest something like "power knowledge", or "suleyk mindah".

paarthurnax
Administrator
October 26, 2014

The Elder Scrolls features quite a few sources of "powerful knowledge," so I'm not sure something like suleyk-mindah would be descriptive or specific enough to be a word for the Black Books.

Some other ideas:

• Vel, from ved "black" and kel "Elder Scroll" (vel is already a word but it's non-canon, I'd consider changing it)
  • Vokelkel with the prefix vo-, not the most lore-accurate representation of the Black Books but kind of poetic
  • Vedrot "black word" / Vulrot "dark word" / Vonunrot "unseen word"
  • Vedmindah or Vedmindok "black knowledge" / Vulmindah or Vulmindok "dark knowledge"
  • Vonunrot "unseen word"
  • Vulmiin "dark eye," miin referring to Mora himself

by paarthurnax
October 26, 2014

The Elder Scrolls features quite a few sources of "powerful knowledge," so I'm not sure something like suleyk-mindah would be descriptive or specific enough to be a word for the Black Books.

Some other ideas:

• Vel, from ved "black" and kel "Elder Scroll" (vel is already a word but it's non-canon, I'd consider changing it)
  • Vokelkel with the prefix vo-, not the most lore-accurate representation of the Black Books but kind of poetic
  • Vedrot "black word" / Vulrot "dark word" / Vonunrot "unseen word"
  • Vedmindah or Vedmindok "black knowledge" / Vulmindah or Vulmindok "dark knowledge"
  • Vonunrot "unseen word"
  • Vulmiin "dark eye," miin referring to Mora himself

DovahKiinZaan
October 27, 2014

The word is nowvulmindok, or dark knowledge

by DovahKiinZaan
October 27, 2014

The word is nowvulmindok, or dark knowledge

ikaram
November 8, 2014

I think that vel and vulmiin sound the best, vel because it is short yet effective, and vulmiin because it is a referrence to Mora himself.

by ikaram
November 8, 2014

I think that vel and vulmiin sound the best, vel because it is short yet effective, and vulmiin because it is a referrence to Mora himself.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.