Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Draconic Poetry

Wuthrahzun
November 12, 2014

Technically it was a Tonka (I think?), following the 5-7-5-7-7 sylable pattern, but it got me thinking. Are there any canon examples of Draconic poetry? If not, how does the community think dragons would have written poetry, if at all?

by Wuthrahzun
November 12, 2014

Technically it was a Tonka (I think?), following the 5-7-5-7-7 sylable pattern, but it got me thinking. Are there any canon examples of Draconic poetry? If not, how does the community think dragons would have written poetry, if at all?

DovahKiinZaan
November 13, 2014

This post has been deleted.

by DovahKiinZaan
November 13, 2014

This post has been deleted.

Wuthrahzun
November 13, 2014
DovahKiinZaan

You have a girlfriend?!? Mine dumped me!

Krosis.

by Wuthrahzun
November 13, 2014
DovahKiinZaan

You have a girlfriend?!? Mine dumped me!

Krosis.

paarthurnax
Administrator
November 13, 2014

The Skyrim theme is an example of poetry in the dragon language. It was written by humans, though, so it doesn't tell us much about how dragons might write poetry if they did.

I imagine if dragons did write poetry, it would probably feature short verses and fragments rather than complete sentences, almost like Dragon Shouts put into verse. The words themselves wouldn't have to make much grammatical sense, but together they'd paint an overarching picture or theme of whatever the dragon is trying to express.

Beowulf was a source of inspiration for the dragon language, so I'd be inclined to say that a dragon would write in a form of alliterative verse rather than, say, rhyming. Of course the Song of the Dragonborn rhymes, but there's no way of telling if rhymes stem from how the ancient Nords wrote poetry versus how the dragons might have written poetry, if they ever did.

by paarthurnax
November 13, 2014

The Skyrim theme is an example of poetry in the dragon language. It was written by humans, though, so it doesn't tell us much about how dragons might write poetry if they did.

I imagine if dragons did write poetry, it would probably feature short verses and fragments rather than complete sentences, almost like Dragon Shouts put into verse. The words themselves wouldn't have to make much grammatical sense, but together they'd paint an overarching picture or theme of whatever the dragon is trying to express.

Beowulf was a source of inspiration for the dragon language, so I'd be inclined to say that a dragon would write in a form of alliterative verse rather than, say, rhyming. Of course the Song of the Dragonborn rhymes, but there's no way of telling if rhymes stem from how the ancient Nords wrote poetry versus how the dragons might have written poetry, if they ever did.

Kahdremonik
November 20, 2014

Perhaps we could experiment with it and create our own? Hell, we're expanding a language here, might as well toss culture into the vat and see what comes up.

by Kahdremonik
November 20, 2014

Perhaps we could experiment with it and create our own? Hell, we're expanding a language here, might as well toss culture into the vat and see what comes up.

Wuthrahzun
November 21, 2014

That sounds awesome! Let's do that!

by Wuthrahzun
November 21, 2014

Kahdremonik
November 21, 2014
Wuthrahzun

Where should we start?

by Kahdremonik
November 21, 2014
Wuthrahzun

Where should we start?

Wuthrahzun
November 22, 2014

I don't actually know much about poetry, but I like what Paarthurnax said about peotry being shout-like. I think something akin to a shout-like haiku might be a good place to start. 

by Wuthrahzun
November 22, 2014

I don't actually know much about poetry, but I like what Paarthurnax said about peotry being shout-like. I think something akin to a shout-like haiku might be a good place to start. 

LeHott
November 23, 2014

You don't need to be a dragon to write in Dovahzul, do you?

by LeHott
November 23, 2014

Rahvaatzul
November 23, 2014
LeHott

No, however it would seem more authentic if it were written by a dragon.

by Rahvaatzul
November 23, 2014
LeHott

No, however it would seem more authentic if it were written by a dragon.

Kahdremonik
November 24, 2014

Yes, it would, wouldn't it? I wonder if there is some poetry in Skyrim that is spoken by a dragon? We could always use the Word Walls as a basis, though, as they are usually seen lingering around the Rotmulaag they have.

by Kahdremonik
November 24, 2014

Yes, it would, wouldn't it? I wonder if there is some poetry in Skyrim that is spoken by a dragon? We could always use the Word Walls as a basis, though, as they are usually seen lingering around the Rotmulaag they have.

paarthurnax
Administrator
November 25, 2014
Kahdremonik

If I recall, the Word Walls were raised by the ancient Nords, rather than the actual dragons.

I think the closest you might get to genuine dragon verse might be the chanting at the end of the main quest, seen here. It has a somewhat musical quality to it.

by paarthurnax
November 25, 2014
Kahdremonik

If I recall, the Word Walls were raised by the ancient Nords, rather than the actual dragons.

I think the closest you might get to genuine dragon verse might be the chanting at the end of the main quest, seen here. It has a somewhat musical quality to it.

Kahdremonik
November 25, 2014
paarthurnax
Kahdremonik

Yes, and it is at least somewhat intelligble. Taking that as a sample should provide ample enough foundation for building on the Dov as a culture.

by Kahdremonik
November 25, 2014
paarthurnax
Kahdremonik

Yes, and it is at least somewhat intelligble. Taking that as a sample should provide ample enough foundation for building on the Dov as a culture.

Kahdremonik
December 5, 2014

*Performs Resurrection Rites*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FLQ4rACE-0

Linky to song with some Dovahzul lyrics, just thought that they'd belong here.

by Kahdremonik
December 5, 2014

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 5, 2014
Kahdremonik

Yes, I love that song! It fits perfectly with the discussion because the Dovahzul lyrics are very brief and straightforward. They're not complete sentences, but instead serve to convey broad and powerful ideas with few words.

by paarthurnax
December 5, 2014
Kahdremonik

Yes, I love that song! It fits perfectly with the discussion because the Dovahzul lyrics are very brief and straightforward. They're not complete sentences, but instead serve to convey broad and powerful ideas with few words.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.