Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Suggestion: translator tools/ranks

1  2 > >>  

Kosenu
December 19, 2014
At the moment, translating is pretty much each-for-his-own-translate-what-you-stumble-upon. There's no way for translators to know what words need translating, and no heads up for new words. I feel like this can be made more practical.

I see two solutions:

- Some kind of translator-only part of the site which shows untranslated words for all languages,

- Some kind of lead translator rank. These people would get access to something similar to the first option, and coordinate their fellow translators with this information ( jarl's bounty-like wanted translation lists? )

Thanks for reading,
su'um ahrk morah.
by Kosenu
December 19, 2014
At the moment, translating is pretty much each-for-his-own-translate-what-you-stumble-upon. There's no way for translators to know what words need translating, and no heads up for new words. I feel like this can be made more practical.

I see two solutions:

- Some kind of translator-only part of the site which shows untranslated words for all languages,

- Some kind of lead translator rank. These people would get access to something similar to the first option, and coordinate their fellow translators with this information ( jarl's bounty-like wanted translation lists? )

Thanks for reading,

su'um ahrk morah.

DovahKiinZaan
December 19, 2014
Kosenu
At the moment, translating is pretty much each-for-his-own-translate-what-you-stimble-upon. There's no way for translators to know what words need translating, and no heads up for new words. I feel like this can be made more practical. I see two solutions: - Some kind of translator-only part of the site which shows untranslated words for all languages, - Some kind of lead translator rank. These people would get access to something similar to the first option, and coordinate their fellow translators with this information ( jarl's bounty-like wanted translation lists? ) Thanks for reading, su'um ahrk morah.

Maybe Lead Translator > High Translator > Low Translator > Tranalstor ??

by DovahKiinZaan
December 19, 2014
Kosenu
At the moment, translating is pretty much each-for-his-own-translate-what-you-stimble-upon. There's no way for translators to know what words need translating, and no heads up for new words. I feel like this can be made more practical. I see two solutions: - Some kind of translator-only part of the site which shows untranslated words for all languages, - Some kind of lead translator rank. These people would get access to something similar to the first option, and coordinate their fellow translators with this information ( jarl's bounty-like wanted translation lists? ) Thanks for reading, su'um ahrk morah.

Kosenu
December 19, 2014
DovahKiinZaan
Kosenu

I feel like translator and lead translator would suffice, and would be easier to understand.
by Kosenu
December 19, 2014
DovahKiinZaan
Kosenu

I feel like translator and lead translator would suffice, and would be easier to understand.

DovahKiinZaan
December 19, 2014
Kosenu
DovahKiinZaan
Kosenu

That'd probably be easier, but the promotions would possibly provide motivations. 

by DovahKiinZaan
December 19, 2014
Kosenu
DovahKiinZaan
Kosenu

That'd probably be easier, but the promotions would possibly provide motivations. 

Kosenu
December 20, 2014

Was talking to Aloktaas just now, and he suggested having, when available, a native check/moderate the word. In his own words:

img

by Kosenu
December 20, 2014

Was talking to Aloktaas just now, and he suggested having, when available, a native check/moderate the word. In his own words:

img

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 20, 2014

Hey Kosenu, thanks for starting this conversation. The translator part of the site could use some more organization. I think one simple solution would be to show words on the dctionary page with some kind of "translation needed" message. Another thing we've talked about is having a separate forum just for translators. This would be helpful for organization, and if you want to do Jarl's Bounty type activities amongst yourselves.

by paarthurnax
December 20, 2014

Hey Kosenu, thanks for starting this conversation. The translator part of the site could use some more organization. I think one simple solution would be to show words on the dctionary page with some kind of "translation needed" message. Another thing we've talked about is having a separate forum just for translators. This would be helpful for organization, and if you want to do Jarl's Bounty type activities amongst yourselves.

Kosenu
December 21, 2014
paarthurnax

This all sounds really great! Some kind of icon only visible to translators when scrolling through the dictionary would be very handy, but even more efficient would be a seperate page for it, showing all words in need of translating regardless of language. Just a thought, either would work. Thanks for replying!

by Kosenu
December 21, 2014
paarthurnax

This all sounds really great! Some kind of icon only visible to translators when scrolling through the dictionary would be very handy, but even more efficient would be a seperate page for it, showing all words in need of translating regardless of language. Just a thought, either would work. Thanks for replying!

Ahmuldein
December 29, 2014

Idk about the ranks of translators though...I don't see how that would work...How exactly would one determine a lead or head translator?.. For example I was the first Spanish translator and I have done a majority of the translations. I guess I'm just confused about this..

by Ahmuldein
December 29, 2014

Idk about the ranks of translators though...I don't see how that would work...How exactly would one determine a lead or head translator?.. For example I was the first Spanish translator and I have done a majority of the translations. I guess I'm just confused about this..

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 29, 2014

Yeah, I think we'd want to avoid translator ranks. What'll happen is someone will be promoted to lead translator and inevitably disappear, and then all progress on the language will get stuck. I'd prefer to keep the system as it is right now, but I'm more than happy to set up some forum space for you to discuss and check your translations.

by paarthurnax
December 29, 2014

Yeah, I think we'd want to avoid translator ranks. What'll happen is someone will be promoted to lead translator and inevitably disappear, and then all progress on the language will get stuck. I'd prefer to keep the system as it is right now, but I'm more than happy to set up some forum space for you to discuss and check your translations.

Kosenu
December 29, 2014

Those are some good points. As I see it right now, we'd need a little translator forum and some kind of icons on the dictionary pages on words that needs translating (for translators only, of course). This could also be a seperate page, of course.

by Kosenu
December 29, 2014

Those are some good points. As I see it right now, we'd need a little translator forum and some kind of icons on the dictionary pages on words that needs translating (for translators only, of course). This could also be a seperate page, of course.

Ahmuldein
December 30, 2014

That sounds good (BTW I like the festive profile pic)

by Ahmuldein
December 30, 2014

That sounds good (BTW I like the festive profile pic)

Loniizrath
December 31, 2014
paarthurnax

I'm a translator, and as long as I'm alive, I won't disappear. You could always have the lead translator's title be revoked if they're inactive for 6 weeks or so.

by Loniizrath
December 31, 2014
paarthurnax

I'm a translator, and as long as I'm alive, I won't disappear. You could always have the lead translator's title be revoked if they're inactive for 6 weeks or so.

Ahmuldein
December 31, 2014

What is the real use of being a tranlsator? I just thought about it...what are we really doing?

by Ahmuldein
December 31, 2014

What is the real use of being a tranlsator? I just thought about it...what are we really doing?

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 2, 2015

Translators provide the dictionaries for the non-English languages, opening the door to Dovahzul for non-English speakers. Why is this important? 30% of site traffic comes from non-English-speaking countries, the top ones being Brazil, Germany, and the Netherlands. We have a very diverse community here, and it's important to take advantage of that! I daresay it's something we have that other conlang communities might not.

What would really be great to see are lessons written for each language. This would make the non-English dictionaries that much more important. Obviously, that's not something I'd be able to do myself (besides German, which I am working on).

by paarthurnax
January 2, 2015

Translators provide the dictionaries for the non-English languages, opening the door to Dovahzul for non-English speakers. Why is this important? 30% of site traffic comes from non-English-speaking countries, the top ones being Brazil, Germany, and the Netherlands. We have a very diverse community here, and it's important to take advantage of that! I daresay it's something we have that other conlang communities might not.

What would really be great to see are lessons written for each language. This would make the non-English dictionaries that much more important. Obviously, that's not something I'd be able to do myself (besides German, which I am working on).

Rahvaatzul
January 3, 2015
paarthurnax

If you were to make that a template, and have it translated to as many languages as the community could provide? I can certainly help with translating to Swedish/French
by Rahvaatzul
January 3, 2015
paarthurnax

If you were to make that a template, and have it translated to as many languages as the community could provide? I can certainly help with translating to Swedish/French
 1  2 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.