Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Female Dragons?

1  2 > >>  

ApplePie
February 16, 2015

So as I was playing Skyrim, I began to wonder, are there female dov? All of the dragons that speak to you are male, but some of the random dragons that inhabit the dragon lairs could be female...

(This is pretty unlikely, I know)

by ApplePie
February 16, 2015

So as I was playing Skyrim, I began to wonder, are there female dov? All of the dragons that speak to you are male, but some of the random dragons that inhabit the dragon lairs could be female...

(This is pretty unlikely, I know)

Mirkrilaar
February 17, 2015

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:There_Be_Dragons

As the book states, dragons do not have a gender per say, although they do seem to be more masculine than feminine. I think that it goes to what Paarthurnax said as "Dov wahlaan fah rel". These creatures were made to dominate and I think that a feminine voice would seem weak.

by Mirkrilaar
February 17, 2015

As the book states, dragons do not have a gender per say, although they do seem to be more masculine than feminine. I think that it goes to what Paarthurnax said as "Dov wahlaan fah rel". These creatures were made to dominate and I think that a feminine voice would seem weak.

ApplePie
February 17, 2015
Mirkrilaar

Oh, I haven't read the book yet

by ApplePie
February 17, 2015
Mirkrilaar

Oh, I haven't read the book yet

Jade
February 19, 2015

A feminine voice seem weak? When we want to we can be stronger than steel.

by Jade
February 19, 2015

A feminine voice seem weak? When we want to we can be stronger than steel.

Odveig
February 19, 2015
@Jade Stereotypically, masculinity connotes strength, courage, all that shit. Femininity was near opposite, weakness, "damsel in distress".

This was also not set in a time of feminaz-*cough* rabid feminism.
by Odveig
February 19, 2015
@Jade Stereotypically, masculinity connotes strength, courage, all that shit. Femininity was near opposite, weakness, "damsel in distress".

This was also not set in a time of feminaz-*cough* rabid feminism.

Loniizrath
February 20, 2015
Odveig
@Jade Stereotypically, masculinity connotes strength, courage, all that shit. Femininity was near opposite, weakness, "damsel in distress". This was also not set in a time of feminaz-*cough* rabid feminism.

Nice save.

There are somethinig akin to female "dragons," called Jill, but they're not actually dragons. They're minions of Akatosh who's main purpose is to fix dragon breaks, and they take on a draconic appearance for that reason. They are female, however.

by Loniizrath
February 20, 2015
Odveig
@Jade Stereotypically, masculinity connotes strength, courage, all that shit. Femininity was near opposite, weakness, "damsel in distress". This was also not set in a time of feminaz-*cough* rabid feminism.

Nice save.

There are somethinig akin to female "dragons," called Jill, but they're not actually dragons. They're minions of Akatosh who's main purpose is to fix dragon breaks, and they take on a draconic appearance for that reason. They are female, however.

DovahKiinZaan
February 20, 2015

It's funny how we're calling them weak, when still, if you have a girlfriend they control you. 

by DovahKiinZaan
February 20, 2015

It's funny how we're calling them weak, when still, if you have a girlfriend they control you. 

VokunNosNahlon
February 20, 2015

I may not be in the game itself, but I'm a female. That's pruzah ganog, good enough for me. I'm sure in the greater aspect of things, there probably were female dragons, but Bethesda more than likely wanted to focus on the whole "dragons are big, dragons are terrifying, hear their voice, fear their might" thing. I have to say, a female voice would be... ilkoth, awkward, for a dragon. Think of it as this. Maybe the males killed off the females, as they felt they were atumei, inferior, to the males.

(Sorry if those aren't the proper translations. I'm not well versed in the dragon tongue)

by VokunNosNahlon
February 20, 2015

I may not be in the game itself, but I'm a female. That's pruzah ganog, good enough for me. I'm sure in the greater aspect of things, there probably were female dragons, but Bethesda more than likely wanted to focus on the whole "dragons are big, dragons are terrifying, hear their voice, fear their might" thing. I have to say, a female voice would be... ilkoth, awkward, for a dragon. Think of it as this. Maybe the males killed off the females, as they felt they were atumei, inferior, to the males.

(Sorry if those aren't the proper translations. I'm not well versed in the dragon tongue)

Mirkrilaar
February 21, 2015

I didn't mean it offensively, I just merely mean that in culture usually. The males are dominant. This goes with español too.

by Mirkrilaar
February 21, 2015

I didn't mean it offensively, I just merely mean that in culture usually. The males are dominant. This goes with español too.

Odveig
February 22, 2015
@DovahKiinZaan 
by Odveig
February 22, 2015
@DovahKiinZaan 

DovahKiinZaan
February 22, 2015

Sorry, but it's kinda true. 

by DovahKiinZaan
February 22, 2015

Roarar
February 22, 2015

It's probably for the better that dragons don't really have a gender, otherwise you get those "WAAH FEMINAZI ABLOOBLOO" comments.

by Roarar
February 22, 2015

It's probably for the better that dragons don't really have a gender, otherwise you get those "WAAH FEMINAZI ABLOOBLOO" comments.

Rahvaatzul
February 22, 2015
DovahKiinZaan

So, in a relationship between two girls, who "controls" who? 

And it is true in some cases, untrue in others. That is why you don't make generalized statements.

by Rahvaatzul
February 22, 2015
DovahKiinZaan

So, in a relationship between two girls, who "controls" who? 

And it is true in some cases, untrue in others. That is why you don't make generalized statements.

DovahKiinZaan
February 22, 2015
Okay, that's true.
by DovahKiinZaan
February 22, 2015
Okay, that's true.

Mul klo riik
February 22, 2015

I was wondering the same thing, and came to the very same conclusion as Mirkrilaar stated. However, I do wonder why this language is gender specific, (rek vs rok)
If the dov have no gender, why would they care for such details? Does anybody recall dragons ever saying a third person singular? Humans I remember Einarth saying, "Rok/Rek los dovahkiin, strundu'ul." But does anyone remember Paarthurnax, Odahviing, Alduin, etc?

by Mul klo riik
February 22, 2015

I was wondering the same thing, and came to the very same conclusion as Mirkrilaar stated. However, I do wonder why this language is gender specific, (rek vs rok)
If the dov have no gender, why would they care for such details? Does anybody recall dragons ever saying a third person singular? Humans I remember Einarth saying, "Rok/Rek los dovahkiin, strundu'ul." But does anyone remember Paarthurnax, Odahviing, Alduin, etc?

1  2 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.