Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Names

Zoro
May 1, 2015

I was wondering if there was a way to translate names from english to dovahzul.

I know there is a thread about this already, but I wanted to revive the topic.

by Zoro
May 1, 2015

I was wondering if there was a way to translate names from english to dovahzul.

I know there is a thread about this already, but I wanted to revive the topic.

hiith
May 1, 2015

Transcription!

by hiith
May 1, 2015

Transcription!

hiith
May 4, 2015

... That was supposed to be a bit sarcastic, but here's the real answer (since no-one else will comment):

Every-one can decide their own dragon name (unless you were born with one). There are two main ways of doing this: transcription (Jason --> jeyson, Kayleigh --> keylii) or by creating their own actual dragon name (being 3 words of power compouded).

But what if this person is dead or fictional, like Jesus or Harry Potter? Though some may disagree, I say that those who don't choose their own dragon names have their names from their usual tongue transcribed (Jesus --> yeshuah, Harry Potter --> herii pahter (kinda maybe)).

by hiith
May 4, 2015

... That was supposed to be a bit sarcastic, but here's the real answer (since no-one else will comment):

Every-one can decide their own dragon name (unless you were born with one). There are two main ways of doing this: transcription (Jason --> jeyson, Kayleigh --> keylii) or by creating their own actual dragon name (being 3 words of power compouded).

But what if this person is dead or fictional, like Jesus or Harry Potter? Though some may disagree, I say that those who don't choose their own dragon names have their names from their usual tongue transcribed (Jesus --> yeshuah, Harry Potter --> herii pahter (kinda maybe)).

Zoro
May 4, 2015

Nox hi!. The names I specifically want to translate are "Hannah" and "Joe".

by Zoro
May 4, 2015

TheDiamondDingbat
May 4, 2015

You would change it so it has the same general pronunciation in Dovahtinvaak (Dovahzul as most prefer to call it) and use the runes to write it. See http://thuum.org/learn/grammar/alphabet.php

by TheDiamondDingbat
May 4, 2015

You would change it so it has the same general pronunciation in Dovahtinvaak (Dovahzul as most prefer to call it) and use the runes to write it. See http://thuum.org/learn/grammar/alphabet.php

hiith
May 4, 2015
Zoro

"Hannah" would be either hanahhannah, or hana (I believe hanah would be best), but "Joe" is more dificult because the Dragon Tongue doesn't quite have English's J sound. You could use something like djow, but I'm not really sure how to best go about it.

by hiith
May 4, 2015
Zoro

"Hannah" would be either hanahhannah, or hana (I believe hanah would be best), but "Joe" is more dificult because the Dragon Tongue doesn't quite have English's J sound. You could use something like djow, but I'm not really sure how to best go about it.

Zoro
May 5, 2015

Ok, thank you for the input.

by Zoro
May 5, 2015

Ok, thank you for the input.

Orkar Isber
May 10, 2015

Uhm i would simply translate the names original meaning. as example David derives from hebrew and means "lover" or more precise "loved by women" which is cleary the case with biblical david. So David is "Loved by women" and there you have a perfect dragon shout name in dovahzul "lokaal naal miil"

or give yourself, like ancient people did, a name that describes YOU. if you are a skilled poet you could call yourself "Master of words" - "in do rot"

by Orkar Isber
May 10, 2015

Uhm i would simply translate the names original meaning. as example David derives from hebrew and means "lover" or more precise "loved by women" which is cleary the case with biblical david. So David is "Loved by women" and there you have a perfect dragon shout name in dovahzul "lokaal naal miil"

or give yourself, like ancient people did, a name that describes YOU. if you are a skilled poet you could call yourself "Master of words" - "in do rot"

gtfobro
May 10, 2015
hiith
Zoro

"Hannah" would be either hanahhannah, or hana (I believe hanah would be best), but "Joe" is more dificult because the Dragon Tongue doesn't quite have English's J sound. You could use something like dJOw, but I'm not really sure how to best go about it.

I think it can still be done =) There's a J sound in Dragonrend Shout (Joor), even though it was made by the Nords, but I think it can still be written as JO

JO

BUT I would also go with Orkar's suggestion, by looking up the meaning of your name and see what you can come up with, if that's what you're looking for  =) There are plenty of websites that provide possible derivatives of a lot of names, if you're not familiar with them.

by gtfobro
May 10, 2015
hiith
Zoro

"Hannah" would be either hanahhannah, or hana (I believe hanah would be best), but "Joe" is more dificult because the Dragon Tongue doesn't quite have English's J sound. You could use something like dJOw, but I'm not really sure how to best go about it.

I think it can still be done =) There's a J sound in Dragonrend Shout (Joor), even though it was made by the Nords, but I think it can still be written as JO

JO

BUT I would also go with Orkar's suggestion, by looking up the meaning of your name and see what you can come up with, if that's what you're looking for  =) There are plenty of websites that provide possible derivatives of a lot of names, if you're not familiar with them.

Frinmulaar
May 10, 2015

---

Non-English phonetician here, I'd go with "JOU"

JOU
to avoid ending a syllable with 'w' and to close the diphthong.

Going even further with Orkar's suggestion, it's often pretty easy to fit the required meaning into three syllables. Hannah allegedly originates from "favour/grace" so I'd make that Hindahdun (literally those two words). Joe is short for Joseph, "he will add", which is hard to make draconic, but Dremzinaav (peace-honor-join) comes close enough.

by Frinmulaar
May 10, 2015

---

Non-English phonetician here, I'd go with "JOU"

JOU
to avoid ending a syllable with 'w' and to close the diphthong.

Going even further with Orkar's suggestion, it's often pretty easy to fit the required meaning into three syllables. Hannah allegedly originates from "favour/grace" so I'd make that Hindahdun (literally those two words). Joe is short for Joseph, "he will add", which is hard to make draconic, but Dremzinaav (peace-honor-join) comes close enough.

Maakrindah
May 14, 2015
Huh..... I always thought 'Joe' would be transliterased as "Joh".
by Maakrindah
May 14, 2015
Huh..... I always thought 'Joe' would be transliterased as "Joh".

Eras
May 19, 2015

Does the language take of the 'S' in words? What I mean by this is, for instance, My name is "Eras" which will translate to "Feln" in Dovazhul, but if I translate it back, it reverts to "Era". This isn't the only word that does it, I've tried multiple words, and it does the same thing.

Excuse my ignorance on the language, as I'm just starting out on it, but I thought asking questions will help me learn the quickest, so yea. There's that.

by Eras
May 19, 2015

Does the language take of the 'S' in words? What I mean by this is, for instance, My name is "Eras" which will translate to "Feln" in Dovazhul, but if I translate it back, it reverts to "Era". This isn't the only word that does it, I've tried multiple words, and it does the same thing.

Excuse my ignorance on the language, as I'm just starting out on it, but I thought asking questions will help me learn the quickest, so yea. There's that.

Frinmulaar
May 20, 2015
Eras

I'd say the translator is mistaking your name for the English word 'era'. Since all nouns can potentially be their own plurals in Dovahzul, it removes the plural suffix for simplicity.

The native Dovahzul way to say 'eras' would be felnne. But that is just the noun; your name can be whatever you like.

by Frinmulaar
May 20, 2015
Eras

I'd say the translator is mistaking your name for the English word 'era'. Since all nouns can potentially be their own plurals in Dovahzul, it removes the plural suffix for simplicity.

The native Dovahzul way to say 'eras' would be felnne. But that is just the noun; your name can be whatever you like.

Orkar Isber
May 21, 2015

In addition since dovahzul is an archaic language (or supposed to be) id really go for tranlsating MEANING and not sound. So you can "translate" the sound Joe to Joh but it doesnt carry meaning and to me makes no sense. Yes in modern times its rare that someone names a baby with a meaning rather than a sound...like atheists naming their children maria michael and jeremiah oO - but i think you should really focus on the meaning and translate that.

from what i find out eras is either the male form of era which is "scent" or "wind" or from Aras which is "eagle"

So for dovahzul its either vensahlon or okriim

by Orkar Isber
May 21, 2015

In addition since dovahzul is an archaic language (or supposed to be) id really go for tranlsating MEANING and not sound. So you can "translate" the sound Joe to Joh but it doesnt carry meaning and to me makes no sense. Yes in modern times its rare that someone names a baby with a meaning rather than a sound...like atheists naming their children maria michael and jeremiah oO - but i think you should really focus on the meaning and translate that.

from what i find out eras is either the male form of era which is "scent" or "wind" or from Aras which is "eagle"

So for dovahzul its either vensahlon or okriim

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.