dovahkiin2003
May 12, 2015

i think it would be SOOOOO cool 

by dovahkiin2003
May 12, 2015

i think it would be SOOOOO cool 

dovahnite
May 13, 2015

It would be. Unfortunately it has about as many practical applications as reciting the Phoenician alphabet backwards, so I'd be quite concerned if it actually happens.

by dovahnite
May 13, 2015

It would be. Unfortunately it has about as many practical applications as reciting the Phoenician alphabet backwards, so I'd be quite concerned if it actually happens.

Orkar Isber
May 13, 2015

Is that serious? Cause im very against it ^^

1) Dovahzul aint even finished. There is a lot left to do before the language really becomes teachable and usable 

2) Dovahzul has less speakers than most languages on the planet, so even learning basque is a more practical idea

3) there are maaaaaany topics that would really be more important to be taught at school, from economy to paperwork, psychology, philosophy, medicine (self care), and so on. Depending on where you come from another language makes sense - everyone should at least learn his native and 2 foreign languages preferably english and spanish / russian / chinese / german / french depending on where you live.

HOWEVER i can see dovahzul being an introductionary course at school. Learning a Conlang BEFORE learning a real language can be very beneficial as conlangs like dovahzul or esperanto are pretty simple - you have positive experiences with language learning, easy successes and quick advancement, you grasp the prinicples of language learning easily and it can be fun, in special if you love skyrim and pick dialogues of the dov as learning material or sing the theme song in class.

I can see that as a fun event for say a month or so to introduce children to language learning before getting serious. I think that would help a lot making learning a seconfary (or teriary etc.) language much more fun and therefore more succesfull. If you experience language learning as fun from  the start you will be better at it

by Orkar Isber
May 13, 2015

Is that serious? Cause im very against it ^^

1) Dovahzul aint even finished. There is a lot left to do before the language really becomes teachable and usable 

2) Dovahzul has less speakers than most languages on the planet, so even learning basque is a more practical idea

3) there are maaaaaany topics that would really be more important to be taught at school, from economy to paperwork, psychology, philosophy, medicine (self care), and so on. Depending on where you come from another language makes sense - everyone should at least learn his native and 2 foreign languages preferably english and spanish / russian / chinese / german / french depending on where you live.

HOWEVER i can see dovahzul being an introductionary course at school. Learning a Conlang BEFORE learning a real language can be very beneficial as conlangs like dovahzul or esperanto are pretty simple - you have positive experiences with language learning, easy successes and quick advancement, you grasp the prinicples of language learning easily and it can be fun, in special if you love skyrim and pick dialogues of the dov as learning material or sing the theme song in class.

I can see that as a fun event for say a month or so to introduce children to language learning before getting serious. I think that would help a lot making learning a seconfary (or teriary etc.) language much more fun and therefore more succesfull. If you experience language learning as fun from  the start you will be better at it

dovahkiin2003
May 13, 2015

eh that is your opinion

by dovahkiin2003
May 13, 2015

eh that is your opinion

Orkar Isber
May 13, 2015
dovahkiin2003

eh that is your opinion

what else shpuld i express, your oppinion? you could give your list of pros and cons to discuss this.

I am neither a teacher nor a polyglot so my oppinion doesnt count as much, but i do teach languages to adults and i am a hobby linguist and do speak 4 languages myself, dovahzul being my 5 and i have 3 children that i raise and teach language so i guess i do have a bit experience nonetheless.

As said, as introduction into language learning, sure, as free voluntarely "just for the fun to stay longer at school after everyone else left" class that you can take if you really want to - sure why not (but then again you could just find friends and learn with them) but as compulsory class? with grades? ^^ Never. Even higher mathematics serve more purpose than dovahzul and just think of the poor children having to learn something really has no useful adaption.

And the poor teachers that have to correct a language  where the rules aint even set...its like "anything goes" 

And the hilarious job interviews "Sorry i must ask...what is dovahzul, you got a B in it" "Its a conlang" "a what?" "A made up language like klingon" "...NEXT" 

by Orkar Isber
May 13, 2015
dovahkiin2003

eh that is your opinion

what else shpuld i express, your oppinion? you could give your list of pros and cons to discuss this.

I am neither a teacher nor a polyglot so my oppinion doesnt count as much, but i do teach languages to adults and i am a hobby linguist and do speak 4 languages myself, dovahzul being my 5 and i have 3 children that i raise and teach language so i guess i do have a bit experience nonetheless.

As said, as introduction into language learning, sure, as free voluntarely "just for the fun to stay longer at school after everyone else left" class that you can take if you really want to - sure why not (but then again you could just find friends and learn with them) but as compulsory class? with grades? ^^ Never. Even higher mathematics serve more purpose than dovahzul and just think of the poor children having to learn something really has no useful adaption.

And the poor teachers that have to correct a language  where the rules aint even set...its like "anything goes" 

And the hilarious job interviews "Sorry i must ask...what is dovahzul, you got a B in it" "Its a conlang" "a what?" "A made up language like klingon" "...NEXT" 

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 13, 2015

@Orkbar Isber, I'm pretty sure dovahkiin2003 is just remarking it'd be fun to have a Dovahzul class in school, regardless of how practical or useful it'd be. I really wouldn't think about it too seriously.

by paarthurnax
May 13, 2015

@Orkbar Isber, I'm pretty sure dovahkiin2003 is just remarking it'd be fun to have a Dovahzul class in school, regardless of how practical or useful it'd be. I really wouldn't think about it too seriously.

Maakrindah
May 14, 2015

I think that it would be interesting as part of a sociology, linguistics or culture related subject, but not as a subject in itself unless it was for a related college degree program (major, certificate or minor).

On a related note, once the language is more developed and prepared for it, I'd love to see a major software company/brand pick up the language as one of their software language learning courses. For instance if Rosetta Stone or a similar company were to come out with a series of conlang courses such as a Software packages that contain TES's Dovahzul, Dunmeri and other Tamrielic Languages along with Tolkein's Dwarvish and Elvish-based languages. Then the Klingon language would be paired with something else that is alien-sci-fi related, and so on. This would keep things relatively themed appropriately by pairing similar fictional cosmoses. Just a thought.

Much more realistically, the community could eventually create a Dovahzul learning aid software in the style of Rosetta Stone, but the possibility of this would be quite a long ways off as I understand it.

by Maakrindah
May 14, 2015

I think that it would be interesting as part of a sociology, linguistics or culture related subject, but not as a subject in itself unless it was for a related college degree program (major, certificate or minor).

On a related note, once the language is more developed and prepared for it, I'd love to see a major software company/brand pick up the language as one of their software language learning courses. For instance if Rosetta Stone or a similar company were to come out with a series of conlang courses such as a Software packages that contain TES's Dovahzul, Dunmeri and other Tamrielic Languages along with Tolkein's Dwarvish and Elvish-based languages. Then the Klingon language would be paired with something else that is alien-sci-fi related, and so on. This would keep things relatively themed appropriately by pairing similar fictional cosmoses. Just a thought.

Much more realistically, the community could eventually create a Dovahzul learning aid software in the style of Rosetta Stone, but the possibility of this would be quite a long ways off as I understand it.

HevnoKeinIn
March 4, 2016
I think dovahzul is just a hobby. But anyway if we would learn dovahzul in school i would be very happy!
by HevnoKeinIn
March 4, 2016
I think dovahzul is just a hobby. But anyway if we would learn dovahzul in school i would be very happy!

Vane Hammerfall
March 5, 2016

It'd be kinda fun, not that it would be very beneficial, but I digress. Wouldn't it be cool to have someone writing things like [drem yol lok, joor] up on the board or whatever, and how to translate and speak it fluently?

by Vane Hammerfall
March 5, 2016

It'd be kinda fun, not that it would be very beneficial, but I digress. Wouldn't it be cool to have someone writing things like [drem yol lok, joor] up on the board or whatever, and how to translate and speak it fluently?

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.