Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Tips and Tricks on Learning Dovahzul

1  2 > >>  

Alduin World Eater
July 18, 2015

So, you might be wondering how you can learn Dovahzul faster and easier. What I'm doing is making flashcards for the runes and for the words I have trouble with. You can also print out the Dovahzul Dictionary's newest edition and put it in a binder.You'll need about 260 pieces of paper and a lot of printer ink.Take notes on descriptions of words to remember them. 

by Alduin World Eater
July 18, 2015

So, you might be wondering how you can learn Dovahzul faster and easier. What I'm doing is making flashcards for the runes and for the words I have trouble with. You can also print out the Dovahzul Dictionary's newest edition and put it in a binder.You'll need about 260 pieces of paper and a lot of printer ink.Take notes on descriptions of words to remember them. 

Katherine
July 19, 2015

This sounds like a marketing scheme ;P

by Katherine
July 19, 2015

This sounds like a marketing scheme ;P

Alduin World Eater
July 20, 2015

I'm not saying you have to do these things. Especially the printing thing.

by Alduin World Eater
July 20, 2015

I'm not saying you have to do these things. Especially the printing thing.

ratgirl34
July 22, 2015

Print out the dictionary? Yikes, maybe someone should just put out an app for that. I think I would be more likely to use that than a print out of a possibly changing dictionary.

I like the flashcard idea. I think maybe starting with simple things like colours or common objects and then moving up to phrases and words. I'm actually thinking of 'stealing' some of my neices books for that. She's only a year old today... I'm sure she wont mind lol It's that or go buy some flash cards and 'edit' them with a permanent marker. I'd make my own but I can't draw for the life of me. 

by ratgirl34
July 22, 2015

Print out the dictionary? Yikes, maybe someone should just put out an app for that. I think I would be more likely to use that than a print out of a possibly changing dictionary.

I like the flashcard idea. I think maybe starting with simple things like colours or common objects and then moving up to phrases and words. I'm actually thinking of 'stealing' some of my neices books for that. She's only a year old today... I'm sure she wont mind lol It's that or go buy some flash cards and 'edit' them with a permanent marker. I'd make my own but I can't draw for the life of me. 

Alduin World Eater
July 23, 2015

Maybe start out with making flashcards for the runes.

by Alduin World Eater
July 23, 2015

Maybe start out with making flashcards for the runes.

ratgirl34
July 23, 2015

I'm using the games on site to learn the runes. Having to know the runes to translate them makes it a little easier. 

Although I can see where runes for the flashcards would be a good idea, especially if you used that to associate the sound with the symbol. I find that I get pronounciations confused using the English alphabet. So rather than putting the corresponding letter with the rune write out the phonetics of the sound. I can't roll my r's so that rune will always screw me up... But I think I'm going to try that.

by ratgirl34
July 23, 2015

I'm using the games on site to learn the runes. Having to know the runes to translate them makes it a little easier. 

Although I can see where runes for the flashcards would be a good idea, especially if you used that to associate the sound with the symbol. I find that I get pronounciations confused using the English alphabet. So rather than putting the corresponding letter with the rune write out the phonetics of the sound. I can't roll my r's so that rune will always screw me up... But I think I'm going to try that.

Ahmuldein
July 24, 2015

Memrise is probably the best way

by Ahmuldein
July 24, 2015

Memrise is probably the best way

Alduin World Eater
July 24, 2015

yeah

by Alduin World Eater
July 24, 2015

yeah

Katherine
August 3, 2015

Just for future reference, here is a simple game for helping you learn the runes. You have to match the rune to its Latin equivelent, any feedback is welcome.

by Katherine
August 3, 2015

Just for future reference, here is a simple game for helping you learn the runes. You have to match the rune to its Latin equivelent, any feedback is welcome.

Tanzyolviing
August 9, 2015

I find that memrise helps me with the words. For the runes, I imagine I'll just have to practice.

There are online flash cards that you can use as well, if you don't want to write them on paper.

I can also understand not being able to roll r's. But you can do a false roll, which is basically combining D and R or T and R to make it seem like you are rolling them. It is a trick I had to do for Spanish.

by Tanzyolviing
August 9, 2015

I find that memrise helps me with the words. For the runes, I imagine I'll just have to practice.

There are online flash cards that you can use as well, if you don't want to write them on paper.

I can also understand not being able to roll r's. But you can do a false roll, which is basically combining D and R or T and R to make it seem like you are rolling them. It is a trick I had to do for Spanish.

Alduin World Eater
August 9, 2015

That's a good idea. You could also print out the runes on one side of the paper and the letters on the other side. Then, you can cut them out.

by Alduin World Eater
August 9, 2015

That's a good idea. You could also print out the runes on one side of the paper and the letters on the other side. Then, you can cut them out.

Alduin World Eater
August 10, 2015

Tanzyolviing, where are those online flashcards?

by Alduin World Eater
August 10, 2015

Tanzyolviing, where are those online flashcards?

Szasdragon
August 11, 2015

When I play SKyrim, I obsessed by the word walls.

I am not good in swot, so use some type of visual memorise technic:

Every letter resemble some picture like K

K

It's like a golf ball shoted from it's stick, so then K (in human) see like golfer standing stable and ready to a small push. These two mental picture share a conection.

Playing with Forelnaar game I decided translate to paper every dovah text. Meanwhile work out these mental associations every letter, wich I encountered. In the begining I used the alphabet reference a lot. But on progress I have to look the abc less and less.

My native language is hungarian, some letter like AA can pretend á, but I don't want screw up by mixing letters. I usualy translate dovah to english, english to hungarian. I want learn this language so my first step the alphabet, second will be words.

by Szasdragon
August 11, 2015

When I play SKyrim, I obsessed by the word walls.

I am not good in swot, so use some type of visual memorise technic:

Every letter resemble some picture like K

K

It's like a golf ball shoted from it's stick, so then K (in human) see like golfer standing stable and ready to a small push. These two mental picture share a conection.

Playing with Forelnaar game I decided translate to paper every dovah text. Meanwhile work out these mental associations every letter, wich I encountered. In the begining I used the alphabet reference a lot. But on progress I have to look the abc less and less.

My native language is hungarian, some letter like AA can pretend á, but I don't want screw up by mixing letters. I usualy translate dovah to english, english to hungarian. I want learn this language so my first step the alphabet, second will be words.

Alduin World Eater
August 12, 2015

I know most runes, but still have trouble with some. I really need to work on the words.

by Alduin World Eater
August 12, 2015

I know most runes, but still have trouble with some. I really need to work on the words.

AshmoJotunThor
August 15, 2015
ratgirl34

I can't roll my r's so that rune will always screw me up... But I think I'm going to try that.

I've been trying to simply roll me r's with everything because I'm experiencing the same frustrations with pronouncing that consonant.

by AshmoJotunThor
August 15, 2015
ratgirl34

I can't roll my r's so that rune will always screw me up... But I think I'm going to try that.

I've been trying to simply roll me r's with everything because I'm experiencing the same frustrations with pronouncing that consonant.

1  2 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.