Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Applications of Dovahzul

1  2 > >>  

Krahzii
July 22, 2015

Outside of Skyrim and this website, how do you use Dovahzul?

Does anyone know people IRL that speak it?  I know that some people also write stories in Dovah, which is extremely cool.  Any other ways that you use it?

I plan on writing some stuff in Dovahzul, and maybe teaching some/speaking it with my cousin if she's interested.  I also have a dog on Nintendogs (no, I will NEVER outgrow that game.  Sorrynotsorry) named Dovah, and all of his tricks (other than "sit") are in Dovahzul.  My family gives me strange looks when I'm playing my DS like...

"Dovah, sit!  Good.  Now, haan.  Tum!  Fus.  Good boy! Ro dah! Nivuut. GOOD BOOOY!"

Totally worth it.

I also name a boatload of characters via Dovahzul words.  So much kogaan to this website.

How about you?  Tell me! 

by Krahzii
July 22, 2015

Outside of Skyrim and this website, how do you use Dovahzul?

Does anyone know people IRL that speak it?  I know that some people also write stories in Dovah, which is extremely cool.  Any other ways that you use it?

I plan on writing some stuff in Dovahzul, and maybe teaching some/speaking it with my cousin if she's interested.  I also have a dog on Nintendogs (no, I will NEVER outgrow that game.  Sorrynotsorry) named Dovah, and all of his tricks (other than "sit") are in Dovahzul.  My family gives me strange looks when I'm playing my DS like...

"Dovah, sit!  Good.  Now, haan.  Tum!  Fus.  Good boy! Ro dah! Nivuut. GOOD BOOOY!"

Totally worth it.

I also name a boatload of characters via Dovahzul words.  So much kogaan to this website.

How about you?  Tell me! 

Onikdojyah
July 22, 2015

While you might not be into this sort of thing, I use Dovahzul as a means of performing Ceremonial magick, meditating on a word and every angle of its meaning, then writing it down on a piece of paper for a spell, on my arm for personal empowerment, etc. It is the alphabet and the language itself that seems to impower the words. What do you think?

by Onikdojyah
July 22, 2015

While you might not be into this sort of thing, I use Dovahzul as a means of performing Ceremonial magick, meditating on a word and every angle of its meaning, then writing it down on a piece of paper for a spell, on my arm for personal empowerment, etc. It is the alphabet and the language itself that seems to impower the words. What do you think?

Krahzii
July 22, 2015

That's very interesting!  I've never participated in stuff like that, but I think it's cool that you were able to use the language in such a way.  Kind of reminds me of how in-game Paarthurnax helps you meditate on words to make your Shouts more powerful.  Even if dragons aren't real (or are they..?), it makes sense that dragon-tongue would be a powerful language.  I mean, the fact that dragons project power into the words to Shout supports that philosophy as well.

A very unique application of Dovahzul.

by Krahzii
July 22, 2015

That's very interesting!  I've never participated in stuff like that, but I think it's cool that you were able to use the language in such a way.  Kind of reminds me of how in-game Paarthurnax helps you meditate on words to make your Shouts more powerful.  Even if dragons aren't real (or are they..?), it makes sense that dragon-tongue would be a powerful language.  I mean, the fact that dragons project power into the words to Shout supports that philosophy as well.

A very unique application of Dovahzul.

Katherine
July 22, 2015

I use Dovahzul to fill up loads of my free time, making random stuff. It also allows for decent encryption.

Talking in fluent Canon->Modern Dovahzul would be enough to make most people give up trying to understand what I would be saying. That'll never happen though, new words are added so often :P

by Katherine
July 22, 2015

I use Dovahzul to fill up loads of my free time, making random stuff. It also allows for decent encryption.

Talking in fluent Canon->Modern Dovahzul would be enough to make most people give up trying to understand what I would be saying. That'll never happen though, new words are added so often :P

Krahzii
July 23, 2015
It's great that you've found cool stuff to do with it!

I consider fluency to be more of being able to have a conversation than knowing every word. I hope to at least be able to converse in Dovahzul someday. But learning every word would be extremely hard, if not impossible for most people. I think some can learn languages easier than others.
by Krahzii
July 23, 2015
It's great that you've found cool stuff to do with it!

I consider fluency to be more of being able to have a conversation than knowing every word. I hope to at least be able to converse in Dovahzul someday. But learning every word would be extremely hard, if not impossible for most people. I think some can learn languages easier than others.

Orkar Isber
July 23, 2015

Funny that another one uses Dovahzul for magick. I think dovahzul has a lot of similarities to both, Kabbalah and rune magic and i practise both for personal growth. Its not about throwing fireballs rather a form of self programming so i can instantly switch moods, emotional and mental states as i like and dovahzul works very well for that.

I also practise the berserkergengr and i do use dovahzul to build up the frenzy.

Finally i want to speak it but havent found someone to do it with. The idea of teaching my dog dovahzul commands is great though ill definitely do that just for the lols of a confused wife^^

by Orkar Isber
July 23, 2015

Funny that another one uses Dovahzul for magick. I think dovahzul has a lot of similarities to both, Kabbalah and rune magic and i practise both for personal growth. Its not about throwing fireballs rather a form of self programming so i can instantly switch moods, emotional and mental states as i like and dovahzul works very well for that.

I also practise the berserkergengr and i do use dovahzul to build up the frenzy.

Finally i want to speak it but havent found someone to do it with. The idea of teaching my dog dovahzul commands is great though ill definitely do that just for the lols of a confused wife^^

Krahzii
July 23, 2015
Sounds very interesting, I love how unique that is.

I know that people here are willing to converse in Dovahzul, through conversation, letters, rp, you name it.
I recommend it. XD It warrants some epic "wtf" looks.
by Krahzii
July 23, 2015
Sounds very interesting, I love how unique that is.

I know that people here are willing to converse in Dovahzul, through conversation, letters, rp, you name it.

I recommend it. XD It warrants some epic "wtf" looks.

ratgirl34
July 23, 2015

I plan to throw off my Dungeon Master in D&D by having a character that speaks draconic actually speak Dovahzul. By announcing that I'm going to say something in Draconic and then speaking Dovahzul.

Mild pranks aside I have no idea what I will do with this. I suppose I could just learn a specific sentence... But what are the odds of needing it? I'm not the player who randomly says 'Pass the butter.' or 'See you chicken rice' (hilarious story on that one) in another language (announced as another language.) To do it right I need to be ready to say anything.

by ratgirl34
July 23, 2015

I plan to throw off my Dungeon Master in D&D by having a character that speaks draconic actually speak Dovahzul. By announcing that I'm going to say something in Draconic and then speaking Dovahzul.

Mild pranks aside I have no idea what I will do with this. I suppose I could just learn a specific sentence... But what are the odds of needing it? I'm not the player who randomly says 'Pass the butter.' or 'See you chicken rice' (hilarious story on that one) in another language (announced as another language.) To do it right I need to be ready to say anything.

Krahzii
July 23, 2015
That sounds pretty funny. I bet your fellow players would be impressed!

Starting with conversational stuff is a good thing to do. Start greeting people with "Drem yol lol" or "ahnok" and bask in the bewildered looks.
by Krahzii
July 23, 2015
That sounds pretty funny. I bet your fellow players would be impressed!

Starting with conversational stuff is a good thing to do. Start greeting people with "Drem yol lol" or "ahnok" and bask in the bewildered looks.

Liis
Administrator
July 23, 2015
I...
count...
everything...
in Dovahzul
by Liis
July 23, 2015
I...
count...
everything...
in Dovahzul

ratgirl34
July 23, 2015

I greet my sister that way now, she`s one of the players but odds are she wont tell the DM despite being married to him.  I've also started answering yes or no questions in Dovahzul. Working my way up to other things.

by ratgirl34
July 23, 2015

I greet my sister that way now, she`s one of the players but odds are she wont tell the DM despite being married to him.  I've also started answering yes or no questions in Dovahzul. Working my way up to other things.

Orkar Isber
July 24, 2015

Since you mentioned RPG i do play a dragon priest NPC in The Elder Scrolls Online and he speaks dovahzul (mainly not only for the sake of comprehension^^) 

by Orkar Isber
July 24, 2015

Since you mentioned RPG i do play a dragon priest NPC in The Elder Scrolls Online and he speaks dovahzul (mainly not only for the sake of comprehension^^) 

dovahnite
July 29, 2015

Naming things. An increasing number of my competitve-grade Pokémon are named in Dovahzul (se briin, the Dragalge; yolos, Flareon; sivaas, Nidoqueen; Dovahkiin, Hydreigon, and so on). Also I have a few projects where I need names for things and really don't want to fall back on the usual "CITY OF SHADOWS" that you see in a lot of RPGs, so I'll combine Dovah with other languages I know until I come up with names that are somewhat original and don't sound completely stupid ("Verunah" = Italian "verde" and Dovah "strunmah," so "green mountain").

I also write in runes when people are trying to read over my shoulder. Much more efficient than writing in binary.

by dovahnite
July 29, 2015

Naming things. An increasing number of my competitve-grade Pokémon are named in Dovahzul (se briin, the Dragalge; yolos, Flareon; sivaas, Nidoqueen; Dovahkiin, Hydreigon, and so on). Also I have a few projects where I need names for things and really don't want to fall back on the usual "CITY OF SHADOWS" that you see in a lot of RPGs, so I'll combine Dovah with other languages I know until I come up with names that are somewhat original and don't sound completely stupid ("Verunah" = Italian "verde" and Dovah "strunmah," so "green mountain").

I also write in runes when people are trying to read over my shoulder. Much more efficient than writing in binary.

Krahzii
August 1, 2015
All of these are really great.

I use it to name stuff all the time as well, including Pokemon. That's really cool.

I'm going to start writing in runes as well. My cousin and I made our own dragon runes for Dragonology, but I want to start using Dovahzul runes as well since they're much harder to decipher. Our own runes are very simplistic and heavily based on the regular alphabet. Not that it needs to be super secret, but still.
by Krahzii
August 1, 2015
All of these are really great.

I use it to name stuff all the time as well, including Pokemon. That's really cool.

I'm going to start writing in runes as well. My cousin and I made our own dragon runes for Dragonology, but I want to start using Dovahzul runes as well since they're much harder to decipher. Our own runes are very simplistic and heavily based on the regular alphabet. Not that it needs to be super secret, but still.

Szasdragon
August 11, 2015

This post has been deleted.

by Szasdragon
August 11, 2015

This post has been deleted.

1  2 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.