A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Translation Suggestion Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  17  18  19  20 > >>  

Siegfry
September 8, 2017
Zinrahzul

Also, a particular "afterlife" is culture-dependent. Sovngarde fits for Skyrim, but not elsewhere (or Elsweyr for that matter). It seems to me that the construct "afterlife" is contextual to where a lot of different cultures meet -- so much so that a generic term needed to be used.

Since dragons are undying, as in death is a reversable state of being to them (exept for death by dragonborn that is).

Lingrah hahnu = long dream

by Siegfry
September 8, 2017
Zinrahzul

Also, a particular "afterlife" is culture-dependent. Sovngarde fits for Skyrim, but not elsewhere (or Elsweyr for that matter). It seems to me that the construct "afterlife" is contextual to where a lot of different cultures meet -- so much so that a generic term needed to be used.

Since dragons are undying, as in death is a reversable state of being to them (exept for death by dragonborn that is).

Siegfry
September 8, 2017
DragonPriestNahkriin
So I've noticed that both After and Life have their own translations but Afterlife as a compound word doesn't. This makes no sense, I suggest it be translated to Mindinlaas, the combination of Mindin and Laas.

Since dragons are undying, as in death is a reversable state of being to them (exept for death by dragonborn that is) it must feel like a centuries long sleep to them.

by Siegfry
September 8, 2017
DragonPriestNahkriin
So I've noticed that both After and Life have their own translations but Afterlife as a compound word doesn't. This makes no sense, I suggest it be translated to Mindinlaas, the combination of Mindin and Laas.

Since dragons are undying, as in death is a reversable state of being to them (exept for death by dragonborn that is) it must feel like a centuries long sleep to them.

Frinmulaar
September 8, 2017
Siegfry

I just found out there was no word for "more" so I propose "Zir" for concrete like "more cheese" and for adjective standing for "more than" we have "Pogaas" already. But in the case of "much more" I present "Tuk" so we get "Pogaas tuk" instead of "pogaas pogaas"

Zir and tuk are not words in the dragon language and therefore cannot have translations.

by Frinmulaar
September 8, 2017
Siegfry

I just found out there was no word for "more" so I propose "Zir" for concrete like "more cheese" and for adjective standing for "more than" we have "Pogaas" already. But in the case of "much more" I present "Tuk" so we get "Pogaas tuk" instead of "pogaas pogaas"

Zir and tuk are not words in the dragon language and therefore cannot have translations.

Siegfry
September 8, 2017
jimmycrickett99

I Would like there to be a word for "Pony" I was thinken we could combind the words for "Small-Horse" Something like Maley or Makey

~Dii mal makey~

~Dii mal makey~

A aa aaa aaa aaah

~Dii mal makey. Zu'u laan do fahdon his kos~

by Siegfry
September 8, 2017
jimmycrickett99

I Would like there to be a word for "Pony" I was thinken we could combind the words for "Small-Horse" Something like Maley or Makey

~Dii mal makey~

~Dii mal makey~

A aa aaa aaa aaah

~Dii mal makey. Zu'u laan do fahdon his kos~

Ruvgein
September 9, 2017

@Siegfry

This thread is not for making new words, as has been stated time and time again within this thread.

by Ruvgein
September 9, 2017

@Siegfry

This thread is not for making new words, as has been stated time and time again within this thread.

Thedafthatter
September 15, 2017

Hi I am new here using translator for a How to Train Your Dragon Skyrim crossover fanfiction. I was wondering if I could suggest here to get a word for book and secret? Or other words I can use instead that are already in the translator?

by Thedafthatter
September 15, 2017

Hi I am new here using translator for a How to Train Your Dragon Skyrim crossover fanfiction. I was wondering if I could suggest here to get a word for book and secret? Or other words I can use instead that are already in the translator?

Frinmulaar
September 15, 2017
Thank you for asking, Thedafthatter. The closest canon equivalents are pel 'writ' and a phrase like vonun mindok "unseen knowledge". The closest legacy equivalents are dey 'book' and soven 'secret' (n, v)
by Frinmulaar
September 15, 2017
Thank you for asking, Thedafthatter. The closest canon equivalents are pel 'writ' and a phrase like vonun mindok "unseen knowledge". The closest legacy equivalents are dey 'book' and soven 'secret' (n, v)

Midknight
September 25, 2017

You already have geinzahkey = unicorn in the translator.

I snickered over that. "One horn horse." Cute.

I suggest viingkey = pegasus. "Wing horse" for the win.

Also for the Tamriel bronies out there, viingzahkey = alicorn. "wing horn horse." :D

Hey, Nords are a very literal people.

I tried to find a translation for harmony. It is not in the dictionary, but the translator suggested "dremhahro." Which I have now learned enough to translate as "mind's peace." I think? Unfortunately, running dremhahro the other way in the translator returns "serenity." Talk about not the same thing!

SO I suggest using "dremhilro" for Harmony. "Heart's peace." Close, related, but different. Music comes as much from the heart as the mind, anyway!

But when I went to figure out how to put things in Dovahkuld, I realized there's also possibly a correction needed in there on serenity,? Because I was reading that the possessive -ro is not used if a word ends in a vowel. It should be -dro. So should that have been "dremhahdro" since "dremhah" ends in the "ah" vowel?

Either that or I missed something about how to differentiate between "a+h" versus "ah" in the spellings.

Or am I just completely off my rocker?

Also...

Is your translator self-aware? Because before I came up with "viingzahkey," I was translating a song involving "the Alicorn," and I swear, it went from dropping "the" in the translation to translating it as "faal Alicorn" halfway through.

And I read what the diffeerence between fin and faal and had been adding it in.

The machine learned it. It was spooky. O____o

edit: I found the newer PDF dictionary that replaced your online thing. Still needs pegasus. :D

by Midknight
September 25, 2017

You already have geinzahkey = unicorn in the translator.

I snickered over that. "One horn horse." Cute.

I suggest viingkey = pegasus. "Wing horse" for the win.

Also for the Tamriel bronies out there, viingzahkey = alicorn. "wing horn horse." :D

Hey, Nords are a very literal people.

I tried to find a translation for harmony. It is not in the dictionary, but the translator suggested "dremhahro." Which I have now learned enough to translate as "mind's peace." I think? Unfortunately, running dremhahro the other way in the translator returns "serenity." Talk about not the same thing!

SO I suggest using "dremhilro" for Harmony. "Heart's peace." Close, related, but different. Music comes as much from the heart as the mind, anyway!

But when I went to figure out how to put things in Dovahkuld, I realized there's also possibly a correction needed in there on serenity,? Because I was reading that the possessive -ro is not used if a word ends in a vowel. It should be -dro. So should that have been "dremhahdro" since "dremhah" ends in the "ah" vowel?

Either that or I missed something about how to differentiate between "a+h" versus "ah" in the spellings.

Also...

Is your translator self-aware? Because before I came up with "viingzahkey," I was translating a song involving "the Alicorn," and I swear, it went from dropping "the" in the translation to translating it as "faal Alicorn" halfway through.

And I read what the diffeerence between fin and faal and had been adding it in.

The machine learned it. It was spooky. O____o

edit: I found the newer PDF dictionary that replaced your online thing. Still needs pegasus. :D

Frinmulaar
September 25, 2017
Midknight

Yes.

You are using the Legacy Dictionary, which was compiled by us Thuum users. This resource is no longer updated or endorsed because we are not linguists and keeping the roots and revisions straight became a major pain in the bodypart.

The Legacy Translator, which uses the Legacy Dictionary, was also relieved from duty as it was notoriously inaccurate, only provided the first definition for each individual word, and was hopelessly bound to English grammar as a result. All of your confusion stems from these faults.

For your personal noncommercial projects you are free to use both Dictionaries, current and Legacy, but all other versions besides those embedded at Thuum.org are likely very outdated.

by Frinmulaar
September 25, 2017
Midknight

Yes.

You are using the Legacy Dictionary, which was compiled by us Thuum users. This resource is no longer updated or endorsed because we are not linguists and keeping the roots and revisions straight became a major pain in the bodypart.

The Legacy Translator, which uses the Legacy Dictionary, was also relieved from duty as it was notoriously inaccurate, only provided the first definition for each individual word, and was hopelessly bound to English grammar as a result. All of your confusion stems from these faults.

For your personal noncommercial projects you are free to use both Dictionaries, current and Legacy, but all other versions besides those embedded at Thuum.org are likely very outdated.

Hahdremro
September 26, 2017
Midknight

(...)

(...)

"Dremhahro"? That sounds familiar somehow! :P

Personally, I feel like Harmony should have ro somewhere other than at the end of the word, because as I just learned recently, -ro denotes possession. (Which means I should probably change my name to something other than "Hahdremro" then. I'll probably go with "Hahrodrem" thanks to this newfound information.)

Perhaps place ro in the middle instead? I feel like balance is an important part of the connotation of Harmony, so I think it should be included, but it be at the end because then it would be a suffix. I get wanting to translate it to "Heart's peace," but perhaps "Heart balance peace" would work better?

(Also, like Frinmulaar said, this would probably just be helpful as a translation for personal use.)

by Hahdremro
September 26, 2017
Midknight

(...)

(...)

Personally, I feel like Harmony should have ro somewhere other than at the end of the word, because as I just learned recently, -ro denotes possession. (Which means I should probably change my name to something other than "Hahdremro" then. I'll probably go with "Hahrodrem" thanks to this newfound information.)

Perhaps place ro in the middle instead? I feel like balance is an important part of the connotation of Harmony, so I think it should be included, but it be at the end because then it would be a suffix. I get wanting to translate it to "Heart's peace," but perhaps "Heart balance peace" would work better?

(Also, like Frinmulaar said, this would probably just be helpful as a translation for personal use.)

Midknight
September 26, 2017
Hahdremro

Yeah, not taking the -ro off there was my mistake. In addition to using the old translator at that point. And getting the parts of the compound word mixed around in my head.

At this point, I'm like: dremhah, dremhil, tomato, tomahto. One is canon, one has more flair.

Hahrodrem does have a nice ring to it, as well. Reminds me of haradrim, though. Ironic elvish antonym? :D (the haradrim were the warlike people serving in Sauron's army in the War of the Ring, and their name is Sindarin)

And I did think of that little mental difficulty when I saw your name the first time. It was familiar! :D

But I'm doing pretty well for being...*checks clock* 36 hours into a new language? I won't be speaking spontaneously anytime soon, but I'm trying to get the rules down pat. Vocabulary can grow over time. :D

by Midknight
September 26, 2017
Hahdremro

Yeah, not taking the -ro off there was my mistake. In addition to using the old translator at that point. And getting the parts of the compound word mixed around in my head.

At this point, I'm like: dremhah, dremhil, tomato, tomahto. One is canon, one has more flair.

Hahrodrem does have a nice ring to it, as well. Reminds me of haradrim, though. Ironic elvish antonym? :D (the haradrim were the warlike people serving in Sauron's army in the War of the Ring, and their name is Sindarin)

And I did think of that little mental difficulty when I saw your name the first time. It was familiar! :D

But I'm doing pretty well for being...*checks clock* 36 hours into a new language? I won't be speaking spontaneously anytime soon, but I'm trying to get the rules down pat. Vocabulary can grow over time. :D

Ragnarok
October 4, 2017
What about "Heyst" for Hist, or is there already a word for hist? It's a big part of the argonian culture.
by Ragnarok
October 4, 2017
What about "Heyst" for Hist, or is there already a word for hist? It's a big part of the argonian culture.

Ruvgein
October 4, 2017
@Ragnarok

Please read the other comments on this thread first.
by Ruvgein
October 4, 2017
@Ragnarok

Please read the other comments on this thread first.

Weller999
November 13, 2017
Im searching for the translation of the word: up
For example in: my mind is greater then my up and downs

Right now i have it like this Dii Hah los lot ruz dii ahrk tum

As you can see that there is missing the word up and im also not sure about Hah (mind) because the translator tells me it is Hahdrim but in the shout Bend Will the second word is mind and there it’s translated and written as Hah.
by Weller999
November 13, 2017
Im searching for the translation of the word: up

For example in: my mind is greater then my up and downs

Right now i have it like this Dii Hah los lot ruz dii ahrk tum

As you can see that there is missing the word up and im also not sure about Hah (mind) because the translator tells me it is Hahdrim but in the shout Bend Will the second word is mind and there it’s translated and written as Hah.

Flicker
November 14, 2017

I know "Uth" means order as in 'to order someone' and 'an order from someone,' but I've been looking for a word for 'Order' as in 'law and order' or 'orderliness.'

One person suggested "Ro" (balance) as a placeholder for that, but I still feel balance isn't quite the same concept as order.

So what do you guys think of "Uthro?" Order in a government is the result of the commanding of balance (between rewarding contribution to society and punishing those who break laws).

Is that too simple/convenient or would it be passable, you think? owo

by Flicker
November 14, 2017

I know "Uth" means order as in 'to order someone' and 'an order from someone,' but I've been looking for a word for 'Order' as in 'law and order' or 'orderliness.'

One person suggested "Ro" (balance) as a placeholder for that, but I still feel balance isn't quite the same concept as order.

So what do you guys think of "Uthro?" Order in a government is the result of the commanding of balance (between rewarding contribution to society and punishing those who break laws).

Is that too simple/convenient or would it be passable, you think? owo

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  17  18  19  20 > >>