A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Revision Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  98  99  100  101  102  103 > >>  

Maakrindah
August 28, 2015

Kaazah

Perhaps add 'Puma' or 'Cougar' or 'Panther' to the existing definition, 'Tiger' for modern usage. Just a thought, since large 'cat hunters' vary in species depending on the region. We know that cougars were present in TES4: Oblivion and Saber cats are present in Skyrim. For this reason, (combined with the idea that the Dov would have no need to differentiate the species of large cats) even the semi-canon definition can directly correlate to the suggestion above for modern usage. After all, in North America, I am more likely to encounter a puma/cougar/mountain lion than a tiger.

Also I have an inquiry: does 'Kaazah' also mean 'sabre cat'?

by Maakrindah
August 28, 2015

Kaazah

Perhaps add 'Puma' or 'Cougar' or 'Panther' to the existing definition, 'Tiger' for modern usage. Just a thought, since large 'cat hunters' vary in species depending on the region. We know that cougars were present in TES4: Oblivion and Saber cats are present in Skyrim. For this reason, (combined with the idea that the Dov would have no need to differentiate the species of large cats) even the semi-canon definition can directly correlate to the suggestion above for modern usage. After all, in North America, I am more likely to encounter a puma/cougar/mountain lion than a tiger.

Also I have an inquiry: does 'Kaazah' also mean 'sabre cat'?

Liis
Administrator
August 30, 2015

Nimun

"Nigein" to match "Naangein," "anyone". Also because if a dragon is talking about anyone of their own kind, they wouldn't call each other "Mun," "man".

by Liis
August 30, 2015

Nimun

"Nigein" to match "Naangein," "anyone". Also because if a dragon is talking about anyone of their own kind, they wouldn't call each other "Mun," "man".

paarthurnax
Administrator
August 30, 2015
Liis

Nimun

Excellent point, changed to "Nigein."

by paarthurnax
August 30, 2015
Liis

Nimun

Excellent point, changed to "Nigein."

Liis
Administrator
August 31, 2015

Ontzuk

"Ontzos" to accommodate the newly revised word "Zos," "more".

by Liis
August 31, 2015

Ontzuk

paarthurnax
Administrator
August 31, 2015
Liis

Ontzuk

Fixed.

by paarthurnax
August 31, 2015
Liis

Ontzuk

Fixed.

Liis
Administrator
August 31, 2015

Nidzuk

"Nidzos" for the same reason.

by Liis
August 31, 2015

Nidzuk

"Nidzos" for the same reason.

Liis
Administrator
September 8, 2015

Loah

Suggesting a revision to eliminate the "oah" sound which doesn't fit common orthography.

by Liis
September 8, 2015

Loah

Suggesting a revision to eliminate the "oah" sound which doesn't fit common orthography.

Liis
Administrator
September 8, 2015

Pusojur

Suggesting a revision to eliminate the "j" which doesn't fit common orthography.

by Liis
September 8, 2015

Pusojur

Suggesting a revision to eliminate the "j" which doesn't fit common orthography.

Sharsosah
September 8, 2015

Eln

by Sharsosah
September 8, 2015

Eln

Liis
Administrator
September 9, 2015

Komiin & Orkomiin

"Komein" and "Orkomein" to match their root word, "Mein".

by Liis
September 9, 2015

Komiin & Orkomiin

"Komein" and "Orkomein" to match their root word, "Mein".

TheFemaleCharlie
September 10, 2015

Ahnosunaakin

I believe there is a typo. The word for oboe is "ahmosunaak", with an m. This word is spelled "ahnosunaakin" with an n. Is this on purpose? If so, it makes no sense.

by TheFemaleCharlie
September 10, 2015

Ahnosunaakin

I believe there is a typo. The word for oboe is "ahmosunaak", with an m. This word is spelled "ahnosunaakin" with an n. Is this on purpose? If so, it makes no sense.

Liis
Administrator
September 10, 2015

@TheFemaleCharlie,

Good catch. That was a typo on my part. It is fixed now.

by Liis
September 10, 2015

@TheFemaleCharlie,

Good catch. That was a typo on my part. It is fixed now.

Liis
Administrator
September 15, 2015

Zulgah

Word notes state the word is "Zul" with the suffix "-uv".

by Liis
September 15, 2015

Zulgah

Word notes state the word is "Zul" with the suffix "-uv".

AntaresDecerto
September 22, 2015

Lax

I want to propose changing the word "Lax", meaning Bow (as in the weapon), to "Ronaazun". I have no wish to insult the author in any way, but I can't find any justification for this word in the Elder Scrolls universe. It seems ridiculous, to me, that the word for "Bow" isn't included in canon, considering that other weapons are included. So if it was simply made up to fill that gap, I completely understand that effort.

However, part of the goal in this community is to remain as true to canon as possible and, if we later find a way to contruct a previously non-canon word from canon sources, I think that it is worth the effort. It seems to me that Dovahzul is constructed similar to German in the sense that words can be combined together to make new words with a different, but related, meaning. You can find eamples of this in the Elder Scrolls Wiki page for Dovahzul (http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Language). Using this method, I took the word for arrow, "Ronaaz", and the word for weapon, "Zun", and combined them to make the word "Ronaazun", which is essentially what a bow is, the weapon that projects the arrow.

**NOTE**
Sorry for the long exposition, but I am new to this community and wanted to fully explain my reasoning in order to avoid stepping on the toes of the original author.

by AntaresDecerto
September 22, 2015

Lax

I want to propose changing the word "Lax", meaning Bow (as in the weapon), to "Ronaazun". I have no wish to insult the author in any way, but I can't find any justification for this word in the Elder Scrolls universe. It seems ridiculous, to me, that the word for "Bow" isn't included in canon, considering that other weapons are included. So if it was simply made up to fill that gap, I completely understand that effort.

However, part of the goal in this community is to remain as true to canon as possible and, if we later find a way to contruct a previously non-canon word from canon sources, I think that it is worth the effort. It seems to me that Dovahzul is constructed similar to German in the sense that words can be combined together to make new words with a different, but related, meaning. You can find eamples of this in the Elder Scrolls Wiki page for Dovahzul (http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Language). Using this method, I took the word for arrow, "Ronaaz", and the word for weapon, "Zun", and combined them to make the word "Ronaazun", which is essentially what a bow is, the weapon that projects the arrow.

**NOTE**
Sorry for the long exposition, but I am new to this community and wanted to fully explain my reasoning in order to avoid stepping on the toes of the original author.

Liis
Administrator
September 22, 2015

@AntaresDecerto,

What you say is true, but there is logic we have to keep in mind - such as the fact that if we construed everything from canon, we'd have a language of who knows how many countless words all based off of 600. This isn't ideal in terms of expansion. Rather than basing an entire language off 600 words, we have to make new ones as well; therefore, forming an actual diverse vocabulary without ambiguousness. But that doesn't mean we forget canon at times. We always follow canon spelling, as it will always be the main basis. "Lax" is of proper Dovahzul orthography.

by Liis
September 22, 2015

@AntaresDecerto,

What you say is true, but there is logic we have to keep in mind - such as the fact that if we construed everything from canon, we'd have a language of who knows how many countless words all based off of 600. This isn't ideal in terms of expansion. Rather than basing an entire language off 600 words, we have to make new ones as well; therefore, forming an actual diverse vocabulary without ambiguousness. But that doesn't mean we forget canon at times. We always follow canon spelling, as it will always be the main basis. "Lax" is of proper Dovahzul orthography.

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  98  99  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.