A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Revision Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  99  100  101  102  103 > >>  

AntaresDecerto
September 22, 2015

@Liis,

I agree that we can't limit the evolution of the language to words only based on the original 600 cannon. If we did, we would end up with exceedingly long words in an attempt to approximate meaning. However, where we can relatively easily fill holes in the language through the use of compound words, expecially with ones as closely related as arrow and bow, I think it would be worth doing. The way I see it, "Lax" is of proper orthography, but unrelated to canon. "Ronaazun" is both of proper orthography and sourced in canon. The literal translation, "Arrow Weapon" is easily understood and the word isn't exceedingly long.

by AntaresDecerto
September 22, 2015

@Liis,

I agree that we can't limit the evolution of the language to words only based on the original 600 cannon. If we did, we would end up with exceedingly long words in an attempt to approximate meaning. However, where we can relatively easily fill holes in the language through the use of compound words, expecially with ones as closely related as arrow and bow, I think it would be worth doing. The way I see it, "Lax" is of proper orthography, but unrelated to canon. "Ronaazun" is both of proper orthography and sourced in canon. The literal translation, "Arrow Weapon" is easily understood and the word isn't exceedingly long.

Liis
Administrator
September 22, 2015

@AntaresDecerto,

That way of thinking causes the language to become 95% compound words. Nearly all words can be derived from compound words, but that doesn't mean they should. Look at it this way: allowing original words is agreeing to canon because canon is, let's say 5% compound words. Our goal is to keep the rest of the language 5% compound words, and not wherever we possibly can. The rule on compound words is to use them only if you have to.

by Liis
September 22, 2015

@AntaresDecerto,

That way of thinking causes the language to become 95% compound words. Nearly all words can be derived from compound words, but that doesn't mean they should. Look at it this way: allowing original words is agreeing to canon because canon is, let's say 5% compound words. Our goal is to keep the rest of the language 5% compound words, and not wherever we possibly can. The rule on compound words is to use them only if you have to.

AntaresDecerto
September 22, 2015

@Liis,

Tell me if I am wrong, but it seems that, following that logic, you never have to use compound words. If you can simply make one up that follows the spelling rules of the language, then compound words will never be used unless someone decides they want to use them to make a word that doesn't yet have a translation.

I would think that the more logical method would be to use compound words to form new words if the meaning is clear and unmistakable (i.e. you wouldn't want to use "Flying Weapon" for Bow, as that could mean many things), the word is not exceedingly long, and it follows orthographic rules. If a reasonable word can't easily be developed to follow these rules, then create a new one that follows orthography. If you can, give it a resemblance to other related words by using similar roots, or at the very least, would capture the "feel" of the word to a native speaker. That's much closer to how language evolves. "Lax" follows spelling rules, but that seems to be the only argument for its use. Any other legal, unused combination of letters would work just as well.

Ultimately, I guess it doesn't matter all that much. There is already a word out there that is being used and I'll leave it alone. If, in my writing, I find that I need a word that doesn't yet exist, I'll submit a new one. If not, I won't. I'll just leave established words alone from now on.

by AntaresDecerto
September 22, 2015

@Liis,

Tell me if I am wrong, but it seems that, following that logic, you never have to use compound words. If you can simply make one up that follows the spelling rules of the language, then compound words will never be used unless someone decides they want to use them to make a word that doesn't yet have a translation.

I would think that the more logical method would be to use compound words to form new words if the meaning is clear and unmistakable (i.e. you wouldn't want to use "Flying Weapon" for Bow, as that could mean many things), the word is not exceedingly long, and it follows orthographic rules. If a reasonable word can't easily be developed to follow these rules, then create a new one that follows orthography. If you can, give it a resemblance to other related words by using similar roots, or at the very least, would capture the "feel" of the word to a native speaker. That's much closer to how language evolves. "Lax" follows spelling rules, but that seems to be the only argument for its use. Any other legal, unused combination of letters would work just as well.

Ultimately, I guess it doesn't matter all that much. There is already a word out there that is being used and I'll leave it alone. If, in my writing, I find that I need a word that doesn't yet exist, I'll submit a new one. If not, I won't. I'll just leave established words alone from now on.

Kosenu
October 1, 2015

Girvolaan

Incorrectly has Kulaas listed as root word.

by Kosenu
October 1, 2015

Girvolaan

Incorrectly has Kulaas listed as root word.

Liis
Administrator
October 1, 2015

@Girvolaan,

Fixed.
It seems that the creator/acceptor of this word made the root ID number "192" instead of "1092".

by Liis
October 1, 2015

@Girvolaan,

Fixed.
It seems that the creator/acceptor of this word made the root ID number "192" instead of "1092".

Liis
Administrator
October 6, 2015

Volzahdroz

A consequence is not only bad.
Perhaps "Mindindroz", lit. "after-effect"?

by Liis
October 6, 2015

Volzahdroz

paarthurnax
Administrator
October 6, 2015
Liis

Volzahdroz

I think this is one place where a compound word isn't necessary. I'd suggest something straight from mindin, like ahmindin, a word that roughly means "something that follows or comes after."

by paarthurnax
October 6, 2015
Liis

Volzahdroz

I think this is one place where a compound word isn't necessary. I'd suggest something straight from mindin, like ahmindin, a word that roughly means "something that follows or comes after."

Liis
Administrator
October 6, 2015

@paarthurnax,

Perhaps it should start with a consonant?

by Liis
October 6, 2015

@paarthurnax,

paarthurnax
Administrator
October 6, 2015
Liis

@paarthurnax,

Romindin? "The balance of what comes after." Komindin "What lies in what comes after." Some abstract thoughts.

by paarthurnax
October 6, 2015
Liis

@paarthurnax,

Romindin? "The balance of what comes after." Komindin "What lies in what comes after." Some abstract thoughts.

Liis
Administrator
October 6, 2015
I'm diggin' Romindin. I second it.
by Liis
October 6, 2015
I'm diggin' Romindin. I second it.

Liis
Administrator
October 7, 2015

Shon

Redundant to "Dremsil"?

by Liis
October 7, 2015

Shon

Redundant to "Dremsil"?

paarthurnax
Administrator
October 7, 2015
Liis

Shon

Redundant to "Dremsil"?

Shon means "nice" as in "pleasant" or "good". It's more redundant with pruzah if anything.

by paarthurnax
October 7, 2015
Liis

Shon

Redundant to "Dremsil"?

Shon means "nice" as in "pleasant" or "good". It's more redundant with pruzah if anything.

Liis
Administrator
October 7, 2015

Should it be deleted in its favour?

by Liis
October 7, 2015

paarthurnax
Administrator
October 7, 2015
Liis

Sure, I've deleted shon and added an English-Dragon entry for "nice" that points to pruzah.

by paarthurnax
October 7, 2015
Liis

Sure, I've deleted shon and added an English-Dragon entry for "nice" that points to pruzah.

Liis
Administrator
October 12, 2015

Vahzensaag

"Vahzensahgaat" to accommodate "Sahgaat," "phrase, saying"?

by Liis
October 12, 2015

Vahzensaag

"Vahzensahgaat" to accommodate "Sahgaat," "phrase, saying"?

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  99  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.