Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Translation Suggestion Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  17  18  19  20 > >>  

Dezonikso
February 28, 2018
I was wondering how close a translation we had for "vapor," or even "mist"? Zofaas zu'u tovitaan fah voqalos do faraan.
by Dezonikso
February 28, 2018
I was wondering how close a translation we had for "vapor," or even "mist"? Zofaas zu'u tovitaan fah voqalos do faraan.

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 28, 2018
Dezonikso

Hmm, gram "cloud" seems like the closest related word.

by paarthurnax
February 28, 2018
Dezonikso

Hmm, gram "cloud" seems like the closest related word.

Dezonikso
February 28, 2018
@paarthurnax I had thought the same thing. I suppose it would work in the context I'm trying to use it in. My friend asked me to translate "Vape God" for him. I'll be amused to tell him the closest I could get was "Gram Rah" which sounds something like grandma said with a mouthful of food. xD
by Dezonikso
February 28, 2018
@paarthurnax I had thought the same thing. I suppose it would work in the context I'm trying to use it in. My friend asked me to translate "Vape God" for him. I'll be amused to tell him the closest I could get was "Gram Rah" which sounds something like grandma said with a mouthful of food. xD

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 28, 2018
Dezonikso

Hah, well unfortunately the language lacks a word for the mundane kind of "breath", otherwise I'd consider calling it "cloud-breath". Since gram rah sounds funny, you could go with gram thur or thursegram or something like that.

by paarthurnax
February 28, 2018
Dezonikso

Hah, well unfortunately the language lacks a word for the mundane kind of "breath", otherwise I'd consider calling it "cloud-breath". Since gram rah sounds funny, you could go with gram thur or thursegram or something like that.

Dezonikso
February 28, 2018
@paarthurnax I suppose I'm a little more rusty than I thought. I hadn't even thought of thur. Pogaan kogaan, thuri!
by Dezonikso
February 28, 2018
@paarthurnax I suppose I'm a little more rusty than I thought. I hadn't even thought of thur. Pogaan kogaan, thuri!

agatonthefrog
March 19, 2018

This post has been deleted.

by agatonthefrog
March 19, 2018

This post has been deleted.

agatonthefrog
March 19, 2018
I dont think Thu'um means the power of the voice since Paarthurnax sais: "I have taught the way of the voice for centuries and the Thu'um since long before that."
This being just after battling Alduuin the first time.
by agatonthefrog
March 19, 2018
I dont think Thu'um means the power of the voice since Paarthurnax sais: "I have taught the way of the voice for centuries and the Thu'um since long before that."
This being just after battling Alduuin the first time.

Frinmulaar
April 15, 2018
The Way of the Voice is an ascetic philosophy built around achieving and improving Thu'um, which in turn very much does mean the power of Shouts.
by Frinmulaar
April 15, 2018
The Way of the Voice is an ascetic philosophy built around achieving and improving Thu'um, which in turn very much does mean the power of Shouts.

Zinrahzul
April 15, 2018
Not only that, but designing something in two different ways in the same thought or sentence is not unheard of.
by Zinrahzul
April 15, 2018
Not only that, but designing something in two different ways in the same thought or sentence is not unheard of.

Zeroabalonie
April 28, 2018
What would the translation for "stop" be. As in "to stop" or "to halt"?
by Zeroabalonie
April 28, 2018
What would the translation for "stop" be. As in "to stop" or "to halt"?

Hahdremro
May 8, 2018

Should "View" be added to the definition of Koraav? It seems to be a close enough synonym to "see" that it would mostly just make translation easier without changing the meaning. Or, is it up to the translator to come up with the synonym instead, even in cases like this? Is the full definition on the Dictionary page lifted directly from an official source, or was it changed to be more definite and accessible? I'm still trying to understand what to look for when going through Dictionary entries and using the Translator.

by Hahdremro
May 8, 2018

Should "View" be added to the definition of Koraav? It seems to be a close enough synonym to "see" that it would mostly just make translation easier without changing the meaning. Or, is it up to the translator to come up with the synonym instead, even in cases like this? Is the full definition on the Dictionary page lifted directly from an official source, or was it changed to be more definite and accessible? I'm still trying to understand what to look for when going through Dictionary entries and using the Translator.

Zinrahzul
May 8, 2018
@Zeroabalonie A good word for "halt" is to yield: "gahvon".
by Zinrahzul
May 8, 2018
@Zeroabalonie A good word for "halt" is to yield: "gahvon".

Able98Able98
May 10, 2018

So I spent around 30 minutes trying to translate modern everyday objects only using canon words. The words here may seem really long and yes, I did it on purpose. I was imagining of how German and Dutch makes a lot of their words (Like the German Sicherheitsschlüssel which means security key). While the words may seem really long (and they are), each of these words are meant to be read as a single word (imagine the word butterfly, you won't think of it as a butter + fly but instead instantly think of it as a singler word meaning the insect).

So without further ado, here are the words

School : Hofkahsemindoraan (House of understanding)
Car : Keyseqo (Horse of lightning)
Television : Miiraadsejun (Door of light)
Internet : Miraaksemindoraan (Portal of knowledge)
GPS : Miraaksekun (Portal of guidance)
Cellphone/Smartphone : Kelsekun (Scroll of light) 
Machine : Kopraansesuleyk (Body of power) ; now this is where I go crazy
Air Conditioner : Kopraansesuleyksekrah (Machine of coldness)
Fan : Kopraansesuleyksewuld (Machine of wind)
Printer : Kopraansesuleyksekel (Machine of scroll)

What do you guys think of these? I'm personally fine with having long words like this, since even real world languages do these kind of things also.

That's all from me...

Lok, Thu'um

by Able98Able98
May 10, 2018

So I spent around 30 minutes trying to translate modern everyday objects only using canon words. The words here may seem really long and yes, I did it on purpose. I was imagining of how German and Dutch makes a lot of their words (Like the German Sicherheitsschlüssel which means security key). While the words may seem really long (and they are), each of these words are meant to be read as a single word (imagine the word butterfly, you won't think of it as a butter + fly but instead instantly think of it as a singler word meaning the insect).

So without further ado, here are the words

School : Hofkahsemindoraan (House of understanding)
Car : Keyseqo (Horse of lightning)
Television : Miiraadsejun (Door of light)
Internet : Miraaksemindoraan (Portal of knowledge)
GPS : Miraaksekun (Portal of guidance)
Cellphone/Smartphone : Kelsekun (Scroll of light) 
Machine : Kopraansesuleyk (Body of power) ; now this is where I go crazy
Air Conditioner : Kopraansesuleyksekrah (Machine of coldness)
Fan : Kopraansesuleyksewuld (Machine of wind)
Printer : Kopraansesuleyksekel (Machine of scroll)

What do you guys think of these? I'm personally fine with having long words like this, since even real world languages do these kind of things also.

That's all from me...

Lok, Thu'um

Hahdremro
May 10, 2018

Hey, Able! I like some of these suggestions, and will probably use hofkahsemindoraan from now on since it's both lengthy and accurate. This is especially helpful because I work in a school. I also use keyseqo to refer to cars, so it's reassuring to see that someone else independently came to the same translation!

However, there are one or two issues I have with some of your suggestions. First is that -se- is only supposed to be used once. That means that kopraansesuleyksekrah wouldn't work, but we can use the word do (means "of" but in a somewhat different way from se) to combine parts of the idea. So, kopraansesuleyk do krah would work, as would kopraan do suleyksekrah, though the first option would preserve your previously established word for "machine."

My other issue is the use of kel to mean "scroll" in general. The notes for the Dictionary page for kel says that it only refers to the Elder Scrolls in all their metaphysical weirdness. Unfortunately, this restricts our ability to translate some things. I've been struggling for months to come up with an adequate translation for "book," since brinsekel "family of scrolls" doesn't work properly.

Oh, also, this isn't quite what this thread is intended to be used for. This thread's purpose is to suggest changes to the canon Dictionary/Translator, such as weird pluralizations (like "wolf/wolves") and irregular forms of words (like "see/saw"), to ensure maximum accuracy and efficiency when translating into canon.

by Hahdremro
May 10, 2018

Hey, Able! I like some of these suggestions, and will probably use hofkahsemindoraan from now on since it's both lengthy and accurate. This is especially helpful because I work in a school. I also use keyseqo to refer to cars, so it's reassuring to see that someone else independently came to the same translation!

However, there are one or two issues I have with some of your suggestions. First is that -se- is only supposed to be used once. That means that kopraansesuleyksekrah wouldn't work, but we can use the word do (means "of" but in a somewhat different way from se) to combine parts of the idea. So, kopraansesuleyk do krah would work, as would kopraan do suleyksekrah, though the first option would preserve your previously established word for "machine."

My other issue is the use of kel to mean "scroll" in general. The notes for the Dictionary page for kel says that it only refers to the Elder Scrolls in all their metaphysical weirdness. Unfortunately, this restricts our ability to translate some things. I've been struggling for months to come up with an adequate translation for "book," since brinsekel "family of scrolls" doesn't work properly.

Oh, also, this isn't quite what this thread is intended to be used for. This thread's purpose is to suggest changes to the canon Dictionary/Translator, such as weird pluralizations (like "wolf/wolves") and irregular forms of words (like "see/saw"), to ensure maximum accuracy and efficiency when translating into canon.

Zinrahzul
May 21, 2018
A recent translation request was "quest". That has to be a common medieval/RPG-type word. Dovahzul has [yah] noun version meaning "pursuit".
My suggestion is to add "quest" to those meanings since you fulfill a quest by seeking something.
What do you think?

"The quest to kill Alduin"
"Yah fah krii Alduin"

by Zinrahzul
May 21, 2018
A recent translation request was "quest". That has to be a common medieval/RPG-type word. Dovahzul has [yah] noun version meaning "pursuit".

My suggestion is to add "quest" to those meanings since you fulfill a quest by seeking something.

What do you think?

"The quest to kill Alduin"

"Yah fah krii Alduin"

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  17  18  19  20 > >>